ForumsForum GamesGo Big or Go Home Tournament: Season 6: Summer Edition Sign Ups and Discussion

222 76877
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Updated set of rules!

Complete set of rules:

- Every round users must roll their dices once. Most of the time the dices are 20d20.

- At the end of every round, a user is eliminated for having the lowest outcome out of all the rolls.

- Failure to roll during the allotted time for a round will get you eliminated and save the lowest roller.

- The user who rolled highest in the previous round will get bonus points for the next round. Usually 10 points.

- In the event of two or more users having equal numbers for the lowest rollers, all lowest rollers are eliminated.

- In the event of two or more users having equal numbers for the highest rollers, all highest rollers aquire the bonus.

- Tournament threads are for the games, use discussion and sign up thread for discussing. This is to keep the tournament thread neat and easy to evaluate.

- The general forum rules; no spamming, no trolling, no flaming.

Final rounds rules:

- The final two users will have a best of three (2/3) approach to determining the winner of the tournament.

- There is no allotted time for the best of three rounds, as soon as both have rolled, go on to the next set of rolls. (wait for the other user to roll before rolling again.)

Example:

P1: 292
P2: 286 Round 1
P1: 192
P2: 182 Round 2
P1: N/A
P2: N/A Round 3

Winner: P1

- After the best of three rounds, wait for official announcement.

- Celebrate

Winners

Season #1: @Loop_Stratos

Season #2: @TheGalacticGargoyle

Season #3 @StormWalker

Season #4: @Clancy12

Season #5: @Patrick2011

Season #6: @red303

Tournament #6 Special Rules:
N/A

Tournament #6: Sign Ups!
Signed up:
1. @realmton
2. @Loop_Stratos
3. @Patrick2011
4. @Darkfire45
5. @Gogotank
6. @red303
7. @MattEmAngel
8. @SirPuddington
9. @JACKinbigletters
10. @akshobhya
--- Minimum
11. @Doombreed
12. @helpo1
13. @apldeap123
--- Maximum

http://oi58.tinypic.com/t7my5v.jpg

• 222 Replies
Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

Yay for consecutive dice rolls. I get 171, red gets 172 and Matt gets 173.

SirPuddington
SirPuddington
202 posts
Treasurer

Another one bites the dust. =(
No worries though, I need to take a *very long* vacation so even if I did somehow win this round, I doubt I'd be active enough to do the others.
It's been fun though. ^-^

akshobhya
akshobhya
5,063 posts
Justiciar

Hates my luck...

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Here are some statistics if anyone is interested. I posted some in the actual thread accidently (sorry about that).

So, the lowest possible number to roll is 20, and the highest possible is 400 which leaves us with a total of 381 possible results (counting 20 as well), but for simplification purposes, I am going to use 380 as the Range of possible results (the logic is the same after all )

now let's look at the standard deviation (σ):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/3/6/e36a4d7f54d0a78db9a26b0156f41555.png

boring calculations, blah blah blah, but almighty Doombreed doesn't want to tire you, so he is going to draw out the magic number [not exactly. He just knows that the Range of possible results is equal to 6*σ in a regular distribution (or normal allocation)]:
σ ~ 380/6 =63.333... ~ 63

What have we just discovered?

Well, given this is true for normal and almost normal distributions, we learn that when rolling, you have a 68.2% a chance to roll anything between 147 and 273

(210 is the average, as x - R/2 must equal 20 and x + R/2 must equal 400. R = 380, so R/2 is 190 x - 190 = 20 so x = 210. 210 + 1*σ = 210 + 63 = 273. 210 - 63 = 147)

Υοu also have a total of 95,4% chance to roll anything in (210 - 2*σ, 210 + 2*σ). Which is (210 - 126, 210 + 126), which in turn is (84,336). But 84 and 336 are on the verge, along with some other close numbers so that's why we've yet to see any such result

Further analyzing the result leads to some more interesting discoveries like:

chance to roll anything in (84,126) = 13.6%
chance to roll anything in (126,210) = 34.1%
chance to roll 20 or 400 = 2* 0.1 = 0.2% (combined. Each has 0.1%)
chance to roll anything in (210,336) = 47.7%

But as the diagram suggests, there is a dramatically greater chance to roll something close to 210 than for example close to 126. though the total chance for rolling anything in (126,210) is 34.1% as shown above.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

I haven't been taught that yet... >.>

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Glad to know I won't be learning that for the course I'm in!

But I understood what Doom was pointing out in the tournament thread and here.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Well, it is pretty easy...We were taught that in high school (last grade though i.e. last year for me )

helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

...what? shouldn't two people get eliminated this round instead of helpo?

@Loop_Stratos - I remembered that rule as well, but when I looked into the complete set, in fact, it was exactly the opposite:
- In the event of two or more users having equal numbers for the lowest rollers, all lowest rollers are eliminated.

But anyway, this looks a bit... strange... to me. Or is that a part of "Highest Roller" bonus? I don't remember to see that rule anywhere... @SirLegendary

Not that I've ever expected to last this long.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@helpo1 @Loop_Stratos

Thanks for pointing that out, yes, Loop will be eliminated too. (Unfortunately)

UPDATED ROUND 8 RESULTS:

Round 8 Results

1. realmton = eliminated
2. @Loop_Stratos = 190 + BONUS = 200
3. Patrick2011 = eliminated
4. @Darkfire45 = 208
5. Gogotank = eliminated
6. @red303 = 216
7. MattEmAngel = eliminated
8. @SirPuddington = 224
9. JACKinbigletters = eliminated
10. akshobhya = eliminated
11. Doombreed = eliminated
12. @helpo1 = 200
13. apldeap123 = eliminated

Highest Roller = @SirPuddington
Eliminated = @helpo1 and @Loop_Stratos

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

When did the rule change? I remember that in the OP of the actual thread, it says that in case two or more users roll the lowest number, no one wil lbe eliminated but two users will be eliminated in the next round ot keep up with the schedule.

Loop_Stratos
Loop_Stratos
5,291 posts
Jester

^ what he said.

SirPuddington
SirPuddington
202 posts
Treasurer

20d20=189

What happens when someone wins? Do they get a prize, like a hug from Legendary or something spectacular like that?

I want me a hug. ^-^

That awkward moment when you post in the wrong forum post.
Still, my question remains >.<
Also, still want a hug. Looking at you, Legendary. =D

DICE RESULTS
189 = 20d20
helpo1
helpo1
3,778 posts
King

When did the rule change? I remember that in the OP of the actual thread, it says that in case two or more users roll the lowest number, no one wil lbe eliminated but two users will be eliminated in the next round ot keep up with the schedule.

Agreed.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

@Loop_Stratos @Doombreed @helpo1 I posted a new set of complete rules. It's in this thread's OP.

Shoeminor
Shoeminor
912 posts
Blacksmith

I may have an idea for season 7...
You use 6-sided dice instead of 20?
Or have you already done that?

Showing 196-210 of 222