ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99646
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Suppose that there is strong evidence that suggests collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia. I don't want to debate the actual fact of the matter (at the time of this post, there isn't sufficient evidence). Instead, if we grant Russia meddled to the extent that it cost Clinton the election, what then? I'm asking because this seems like a really special and interesting kind of case. Also, to make things more interesting, let's just suppose that there's no direct tie between Trump himself and the Russians - only members of his campaign. So here are some questions I'm wondering:

1) Would Trump even get impeached without a direct tie between him and the Russians (say, a lucrative business deal, bribery, etc.)?

2) Suppose that Trump is either forcibly removed from office or resigns because of this. According the Constitution, Pence would take over. But isn't the entire election now tainted by Russian interference? Are there any provisions in place for a 'do over' in a case like this where the election is basically null-and-void?

3) Assuming Pence does take over, would you expect him to pardon Trump of any criminal wrongdoing (like Ford did when Nixon resigned)? Or would the charges - whatever they are (maybe treason? I dunno) - be such that a pardon would be unwarranted? And would it be wise for Pence to issue such a pardon, since there's already an air of mistrust?

I realise these questions are getting way ahead of where we currently are. I just wanted to hear you guys thoughts on all this. I have no intuition for how this whole scenario is going to play out, but I'd love to hear some possibilities!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

1) Would Trump even get impeached without a direct tie between him and the Russians (say, a lucrative business deal, bribery, etc.)?

I doubt it but since Trump depends so much on the advisers that are close to him, maybe he'll just resign in disgust. Look how obsess he is about Flynn. He still think he can bring him back when this is over.

2) Suppose that Trump is either forcibly removed from office or resigns because of this. According the Constitution, Pence would take over. But isn't the entire election now tainted by Russian interference? Are there any provisions in place for a 'do over' in a case like this where the election is basically null-and-void?

I don't think it's possible since there are no proof that the votes themselves have been hacked (no machine has been hacked into in order to change the votes).

I also think that Trump would have still won but by a very close margin because the Republicans did everything they could to discredit Clinton, starting with their Benghazi obsession which some of them admitted was a witch hunt to paint her in a negative way. Then came the emails scandal which the Republicans once again kept hammering at and Comey's big mouth declared they found new emails (2 weeks prior to the elections) and the investigation would start again. He then later realized they were not but it was already too late.

3) Assuming Pence does take over, would you expect him to pardon Trump of any criminal wrongdoing (like Ford did when Nixon resigned)? Or would the charges - whatever they are (maybe treason? I dunno) - be such that a pardon would be unwarranted? And would it be wise for Pence to issue such a pardon, since there's already an air of mistrust?

I think (It's just a guess) that Pence doesn't like Trump at all but to keep some of Trump's crazy fans, he might just do that to make sure the Republicans don't lose too many seats during the mid-term elections.

What ever happens, I hope some of those that helped Russia sabotage the election will go to jail
to insure this never occur again because who knows, next time Republicans might be the victim of these attacks and the mess will continue. I think we've all had enough of this nonsense.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow, as anyone seen what the Trump administration maggots did?
They practically kissed dictator Trump's feet.

And now president traitor is thinking about firing Robert Muller.
Can you see a pattern there?

The Republican party is a criminal organization dedicated to make the rich unpatriotic parasites richer and harming the rest of us in any malicious way they can.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Wow, that fat ugly pig and incompetent president (wannabe dictator) Trump has reached a new low.
Just watch the news if you don't know what he did.
What a pathetic man.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It looks like the Trump don't care bill will not pass for now.
Is it really dead? I don't know, that McConnell weasel and some right wing extremists are really trying to pass this horror so that the rich criminals can get a tax break while normal American people will die because they can't afford healthcare.

Anyway, people keep protesting ,maybe we'll get that fake crooked unpatriotic president out as well!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here's another thing to worry about the Trump mafia regime.

White House voter commission publishes names, numbers of worried citizens

Say thank you to this right wing extremist ----> Kris Kobach

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Some of the incompetent in chief achievements so far.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Great news! One of Trump's minion is gone!
That infection called Steve Bannon is out!
I dedicate this to him.

Finally some good news!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That's not good enough, Trump still holds the same views as Bannon. I doubt it'll change much.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Trump has been shooting himself in the foot, or even leg, with his statements concerning the whole confederate statues affair (among other things) recently. Do you think that this will have lasting effects on his popularity and credibility? His unwavering electoral base is perhaps large enough that he doesn't feel the need to care about the image he has among all the others, but he won't fare as well with his political colleagues, I think.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

That's not good enough, Trump still holds the same views as Bannon. I doubt it'll change much.

Trump is an idiot no matter what but it's nice not to have to see gonorrhea/herpes face Bannon in the White House.
Now it would be even nicer if what's his name? The one that looks like Peewee Herman's evil twin would disappear as well, followed by Roger Stone and then Trump himself.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Bannon is "going to war" with those who oppose Trump, now he's back with his media company. This isn't good at all.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I came upon this article on the US troops stationed in Europe.
Since the current president is an incompetent idiot, it's kind of worrisome.

Considering what's been happening lately, I hope they get their act together.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Another swamp thing from the Trump administration was caught abusing his power.

Showing 196-210 of 260