57 posts
Nomad

I`d say that Star Wars is the thing

(sorry, wasn`t able not to say this )

knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

The American civil war is no where near the worst in history. "Only" (and I use that term uneasily) 620,000 miliaty deaths (I'm not sure why it is significant that they are Americans).

The American Civil War killed 620k soldiers. All of them American. About 400k Americans died in WWII. The war actually had a huge impact on the nation's history. It also was the bloodiest war fought on American soil. It is however, like you said nowhere near being the worst war ever.

I personally feel that WWI was worse than WWII.

WWI was quite horrible. It paved the way for WWII and possibly without it, WWII would of never occured. Though, WWII caused more damage and has to be worse than WWI.

On a slight side note does anyone have a clue what the first war ever was?

It's impossible to find out. Wars occurred in prehistory. Memory of the earliest war is not with us. People however know the fist ever recorded war. It was fought by the Egyptians.. I think it was.. I am not sure.

I`d say that Star Wars is the thing

Star Wars is not history.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

WWI was quite horrible. It paved the way for WWII and possibly without it, WWII would of never occured. Though, WWII caused more damage and has to be worse than WWI.

Quite horrible is putting it mildly. It wiped out an entire generation of European males. The conditions the war was fought in were horrific, and without it, the circumstances enabling the Nazis rise to power and the path towards WW2 would never have materialised.

On a separate note, I am finding it rather disturbing/funny how many people on this thread are mentioning wars citing the amount of American dead as their reason for choosing a particular war, implying American lives are for some reason a more important variable in the determining of the worst war.
Mookle
Mookle
25 posts
Nomad

the worst war in history eh? hmmmmmm, my grandpa says his bowls are in a pretty big war, he said many lives were lost

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Stalin..... That cannot classify as the worst war, even if it is horrific.

Why not? You just keep telling everyone here that their pick is not the worst war. There is a thing called "opinion."

The fact that 7-8 million people died of starvation in 1 year, to me, makes the Ukrainian Genocide one of the worst, if not, the worst war in history.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I agree with listman. The Ukrainian Genocide was horrible. So much death. . . .

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

The fact that 7-8 million people died of starvation in 1 year, to me, makes the Ukrainian Genocide one of the worst, if not, the worst war in history.

Is a genocide really a war? In this case, very poor food distribution, albeit intentionally, would not constitute a war, according to this:

http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/GAres3314.html

However it would constitute a genocide:

http://www.hrweb.org/legal/genocide.html
blackheart1d
blackheart1d
47 posts
Templar

Actually hitler fought in WW1 as an Austrian soldier he actually got hit by mustard gas as it was used in that war and he actually survived.
So in truth HItler was never a German and without him fighting side by side with other Germans and Austrians he probably would have never have risen to power causing WW2.
napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

Vietnam war was pretty bad. Mainly for the vietnamese and nothing was realy accomplished.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

the cold war!

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

the cold war!

If you gonna bring back a almost dead thread could you at least give a good reason behind your opinon. In what way was the cold war the worst war?
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

If you gonna bring back a almost dead thread could you at least give a good reason behind your opinon. In what way was the cold war the worst war?

took the words right out of my mouth.

I would say the civil war.

Because it is the war where the most lives were lost.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I would say the civil war.

Which one? American, English, cambodian, sudanese, second sudanese, spanish, russian etc.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

oo derp.. I ment to say the american civil war. sorry!

Flagg
Flagg
526 posts
Peasant

In the cold war everybody was terrified, but there were no battles (just financial, and with the amount of weapons).
The worst war could be the 6th Christian War, where all of the knight changed their way to Constantinople (Istanbul), and they robbed it...
The worst war is also meaningless war, I think...

Showing 181-195 of 617