Nomad

I think it would have to be world war 2 because of all the lives that were lost

• 617 Replies
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

I personally believe that Troy did happen

Bearing in mind it was started by feuding Gods, mythical figures fought there (achilles etc. I think). And Jason and the Argonauts were there right? Then left and went a bit crazy. Fought a cyclops you've al seen the Don Chaffey movie.
wooters
wooters
185 posts
Nomad

well ya but that could all be made into a simple explanation. The feuding gods were rulers of some sort, and the cyclops could have been, well I don't know what those were but maybe somebody dreamed that or something and everyone believed it.

knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

well ya but that could all be made into a simple explanation. The feuding gods were rulers of some sort, and the cyclops could have been, well I don't know what those were but maybe somebody dreamed that or something and everyone believed it.

That is the problem, the Greek gods are mythological and the War of Troy is tangled with so much myth and fact (Thanks to Homer), that it is considered somewhat legendary and cannot be confirmed.
russianfreak
russianfreak
1,843 posts
Farmer

The worst war was the Cold war it was the biggest mess ever hit this earth and i dought there would be a worse war.

knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

The worst war was the Cold war it was the biggest mess ever hit this earth and i dought there would be a worse war.

It never escalated into a real conflict and was not much of a war, it was more like a bad time of peace. Anyway, if the Cold War did escalate into a real armed conflict than we would probably we dead or there would of been a nuclear apocalypse already.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Half of them have a cyclops thrown in or good measure (ok maybe not) but many are only known from a few sources

I disagree. Not all BC wars were mythological. What about the series of wars involving the Greeks and the Persians, the Roman Empire conquering half the world, the Egyptians conquering their enemies, the Macedonians with Alexander the Great conquering half the world. These are all well documented wars.
knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

I disagree. Not all BC wars were mythological. What about the series of wars involving the Greeks and the Persians, the Roman Empire conquering half the world, the Egyptians conquering their enemies, the Macedonians with Alexander the Great conquering half the world. These are all well documented wars.

I agree with you. Most ancient wars were documented and written about. The Trojan War is shrouded in uncertainty because no one documented it accurately and with proof. The only account of the war was Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, both Greek epic poems. No one is sure if even Homer wrote them. Even if Homer wrote them, he wrote them four hundred years after the war, so there is a lot of uncertainty.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

No one is sure if even Homer wrote them. Even if Homer wrote them, he wrote them four hundred years after the war, so there is a lot of uncertainty.

The Iliad as well as the Iniad and the Odyssey were all handed down the generations orally. Poets would actually memorise these by heart and be paid to recite them. That is how the story survived. It was the Romans who wrote them down.

Although some recent(early 20th century) archaeological evidence has been found in Turkey, the remains of a city. This suggests that a battle could have taken place there, but the myths glorified the Greek victory.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

It never escalated into a real conflict and was not much of a war, it was more like a bad time of peace.

That is what I thought, yet on several occasions people have stated something along the lines of "the Cold War is the worst because so many people died" I asked at the time but no one replied so know could someone explain. How do deaths occur in a cold war?

I disagree. Not all BC wars were mythological

Inmy defence I wan't anywhere close to sayin all BC wars were mythilogical, just that some had been messed with over the years. I repeat some. Of the wars you mentioned I would hazard a guess that there aren't reels of scipture documenting in detailed accounts.Though I hope I am wrong and if you do have some links to any sources could you post them, please, because as I said earlier I am interested in ancient history.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Here's a good list of Roman Battles:

Here's a list of ancient Greek battles:

and here's a list of Egyptian battles, there are a few ancient ones in there:

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Thankyou FireflyIV. I shall look through these later I think. Should be fun.

Hunter29
Hunter29
25 posts
Nomad

World War 2 Because we lost MANY, MANY men in that war.

Stormchaser
Stormchaser
278 posts
Nomad

It never escalated into a real conflict and was not much of a war, it was more like a bad time of peace. Anyway, if the Cold War did escalate into a real armed conflict than we would probably we dead or there would of been a nuclear apocalypse already.

NOT A REAL CONFLICT!!!!! Have you ever heard of the Cuban missle crisis. Wow you should read up about it.
Ocilet
Ocilet
40 posts
Nomad

I think the worst war was during the horus heresy, space marine vs spacemarine...dark times indeed

XD
but to be serious nothing tops ww2,...nothing.

tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

Also wasnt the cold war an epic battle.

Showing 151-165 of 617