29 posts
Nomad

I think it would have to be world war 2 because of all the lives that were lost

• 617 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

many people don't know that the first genocide (Armenian in Austria) of the 19th century was during WW1

but there were only roughly estimated 2.5 million killed, add that in with trench warfare and gangreen though....

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

gah i always get confused, of 20th century

living in 21st century? uugghh it was first of 1900-99

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

50 years war between britain n france...extemely long

LadyTurtleToes
LadyTurtleToes
310 posts
Nomad

I would argue that wars fought are not fought due to religion. People of different social groups have a tendency to polarise and fight. That one of those social groups happens to be religion is overall a minor point. What it really shows is that conflict is part of human sociological behaviour.

True, many wars are fought with no religious pretext. I don't expect that many people will agree with me either and that's perfectly fine. I only wished to express my personal opinion and share some of the knowledge I have found because of my own interest in history. It does show that conflict is a part of human sociological behavior. To say that no war has ever been fought because of religion is incorrect though. Many conflicts that have started because of religion have escalated into full scale wars. It is true that many people in power will see these conflicts as a way to further their own political interests, but the conflicts start because of religion. People who believe that they have the support of a deity can sometimes do horrible things and feel that they have done nothing wrong, those who believe that they are doing what is right will fight to the bloody end because of that belief. Even Hitler had certain religious motives. I'm not even remotely trying to suggest that all wars are fought because of religion but many have been.

I can't offer up figures regarding lives lost in religious wars. All I can do is share the information I have found in doing my own research on the subject. I don't expect that anyone will agree with my opinions, I only wish to share my thoughts.
KamikazeKraut
KamikazeKraut
152 posts
Nomad

WWII

knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

@LadyTurtleToes

Well, I do agree with you. Conflict is pretty much part of human behavior.

ChillzMaster
ChillzMaster
1,435 posts
Nomad

I have to say this, and i'm probably going to get flamed...but nevertheless, here it comes.
Had Archduke franz ferdinand not gotten assasinated, we (being the world) wouldn't be as technologically advanced as we are now.

FF assassination caused WWI

WWI caused Hitler to start WWII

After WWII, German rockets were confiscated by both American and Soviet Soldiers.

The intense rivalry between USA and USSR, and the boost from the german rockets caused technology to advance at an immense rate during the cold war.

From a skewered standpoint, you could also say taht hitler caused our superpower-title.

patriotboy1
patriotboy1
238 posts
Nomad

I'm not going to flame you for that but I will say "Well said"

batistarocks6969
batistarocks6969
87 posts
Nomad

youve got a good point

but if good ol franz didnt get assasinted, history couldve played a completely different course, and we (somehow) could be 10x more technologically advanced

or 10x less, we will never know

WW1 caused Hitler to start WW2

some art school in austria rejected Hitler cause his art sucked.

so he got into war strategy...and so on and so forth
lol
knight_34
knight_34
13,821 posts
Farmer

WW1 caused Hitler to start WW2

Not completely, only partially. It did influence him to make the actions he made.

From a skewered standpoint, you could also say taht hitler caused our superpower-title.

You could say that. Though, the US could of still been a superpower even if Hitler didn't end up leading the world into WWII.

I have to say this, and i'm probably going to get flamed...but nevertheless, here it comes.
Had Archduke franz ferdinand not gotten assasinated, we (being the world) wouldn't be as technologically advanced as we are now.

Well, I'm not going to flame you. I actually agree with you.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

WWII or Vietnam are the most popular 'bad wars' but you are going to have to do some serious googling to find out the real one

dunadan
dunadan
360 posts
Nomad

It's not a breaking news that wars are a great factor of technological discoverys...see the technology deployed for militarys, it's far from what you can find in your house!

You can't tell which wars was the worst, but certainly not wars from now...they were too "clean" compared to ancient wars (even, if WWI was really freaky, it's nothing compare to medieval wars)

Someone talked about Inquisition in Spain, and I think it was really awefull.
There're civils wars in Africa that mustn't be as fun as a birthday party...ok that was creepy.
LadyTurtleToes
LadyTurtleToes
310 posts
Nomad

The intense rivalry between USA and USSR, and the boost from the german rockets caused technology to advance at an immense rate during the cold war.

I agree that you've made a really good point. It's unfortunate that many governments can't see any point in investing in technological break throughs unless it will benefit their military strength.
bretttrumpour
bretttrumpour
677 posts
Nomad

I agree that you've made a really good point. It's unfortunate that many governments can't see any point in investing in technological break throughs unless it will benefit their military strength.

I agree with what you say and I can say they probley wont invest in technological break throughs because it wouldent help them in anyway.
mracecombat
mracecombat
6 posts
Nomad

I think Henry VIII.He's damn mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Showing 376-390 of 617