ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 314993
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Well... Honestly, that is just stupid. The 'morning after pill' is to be an emergency solution when the rest have failed... Oh sigh if what you say is true.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

In Denmark the only way you can get that pills is by going to the docotr, I think. It is three little pills, so have to get them there...

sunnyb
sunnyb
480 posts
Nomad

i think it is wonderful that this thread started with talking about the woman's choice. other threads (not on this site) haven't said a thing about her choice. i think Eshploded (nice name lol) has an amazing point:

If I was aborted, I wouldn't care at all, because I never would have cognitively acknowledged my own existence.

i haven't heard that before, and i am glad it did. do didn't know what life was then! life starts at birth.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

In Denmark the only way you can get that pills is by going to the docotr, I think. It is three little pills, so have to get them there...

Here in America, you can get them at a women's clinic. My girlfriend had to take one once, and it was only two pills. But, the first made her stomach hurt really badly, and she couldn't take the second one until her stomach settled, according to the instructions. If you threw up because of the first pill, you would have to take it again.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Here in America, you can get them at a women's clinic. My girlfriend had to take one once, and it was only two pills. But, the first made her stomach hurt really badly, and she couldn't take the second one until her stomach settled, according to the instructions. If you threw up because of the first pill, you would have to take it again.
And that fairly well demonstrates why they are an emergency solution. Imagine having to go through that process after every intercourse - no, right? Not a contraceptive, but an emergency solution that is still to be preferred over an actual abortion.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Imagine having to go through that process after every intercourse - no, right?

Yeah...Well, when we realized that we would need it, I looked up "Plan B" online immediately, and the first thing that popped up was how to get a prescription. And then we called a couple people and realized we could just go to Planned Parenting in the next town over.
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

We were just talking about contraceptives like these in Health Issues class today, lol, struggest class ever...

Anyways, emergency contraceptives are for emergency purposes only, like if a condom breaks or slips, or you get drunk and do something you regret. Regardless, unless you want a child you should always use contraception and preferably multiple types. You gain the most protection when you use the "buddy system," such as using a condom and a spermicide of some type or a hormonal contraceptive; also, because almost no extra effort is required and it greatly reduces the chance of fertilization, if, say, the condom breaks, you should always practice withdrawal in addition to other forms of contraception (it is no good alone).

Back to abortion-
The reason contraceptives were even brought up was because "women should use contraceptives to prevent the pregnancy in the first place and are thus accountable."
I have three responses:
1) Birth control methods can fail, if the woman used birth control and it failed, you still hold her guilty for something that she pro-actively worked to prevent. Also, it isn't fair to hold people accountable for random chance, when they took precautions.
2)This encourages discrimination against woman; you consider them responsible for getting pregnant when a male had equal responsibility to use birth control, by only holding the woman accountable you are being sexist and you don't pro-actively encourage males to participate in protection
3)There are such things as female rape condoms (see below image), by saying that woman must be accountable for all contraception you hold all woman who become pregnant through a rape in which they did not possess an anti-rape condom as responsible.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/files/images/rapex.JPG

Ok, that last response wasn't the greatest substantive response, but the other two work well. :P

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

sunnyb said: life starts at birth.

And what makes life start at birth? Just because you do not have self awareness before birth, doesn't mean that you aren't alive in the womb. Most pro abortionists argue that life can't start at conception because it is just a bunch of cells. But I could argue killing a 30 year old because basically all we are is a bunch of cells, and if we are allowed to kill a baby while they are "just a bunch of cells" in the womb, then I ought to be able to justify killing a 30 year old person.

Now I am sure someone will go and chop down my comment, but I just wanted put my two cents in.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@necromancer:
Great post. *thumbs up*
So glad I don't have to choose a male partner, with all that troble...

@steevo:
Well, ehm... The best difference I can point out, is that the average 30 year old person is of more value to society than a baby that has not even fully developed yet.
Some societies, African I think, believe the elders of their tribe has greater value than the newborns, because their experience and knowledge is of importance. Babies have not yet gained constructive value. They may have potential, but it is totally undeveloped, and thus their lives are relatively less important than a 30 year old who is a functioning member of the society.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Great post. *thumbs up*

Well I am glad that you think that my post good, thank you, I am still working on my debating skills to be able to be more active in this forum and to convey my beliefs and to have friendly debate with others. I hope I am off to a good start =D

But anyways, back to topic.

@Zophia

So, even though the baby is not fully developed, it gives us the right to kill him/her just because he/she is not as important in society? Does that mean we should be able to kill all the five year olds in our society simply because they aren't as important as others? I see not the logic in that. We all have the potential to become someone who can change the world.
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

ahh sorry for the double post, I must have missed the @necromancer in the "thumbs up" statement I thought it was directed towards me...wow I feel like an idiot.... ehhh.....

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Babies have not yet gained constructive value. They may have potential, but it is totally undeveloped, and thus their lives are relatively less important than a 30 year old who is a functioning member of the society.

Quick question, what religion to you believe in? Or rather do you believe in one? I no Christianity believes that all lives are valued the same, but I thought lots of sets of morals follow the thought that all life is equal in value. Of course there are factors to how valuble a living being's life is. How productive they are to the human race, etc.

Now responding using steevo's post to add on. I wouldn't say that if I had that thought that we should kill all 5 year olds. They are the future. Now I'm trying to thik how Zoph is seeing it. I think she may respond like the baby should only be killed in an abortion if the mother is in danger.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

So, even though the baby is not fully developed,

Fetus: The unborn young of a viviparous vertebrate having a basic structural resemblance to the adult animal.
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Estel, you make a good point that all of the worlds five year olds ARE the future (I was just using them as an example to argue against Zoph's post by the way) But I guess what I don't understand is why are we killing all of the babies by abortion if they are also the future of America.

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

K first off i am a christain... Now here's my beleifs on fetus.
I'm just taking bio 30 (grade 12 biology) and so far I beleive it's only alive around the 12-16 week mark. it is considered a fetus at 8 weeks. So After 2-3 months it is only considered alive. This is because the blood is starting to move through the creating veins. And the nervus system and brain are still finishing off being created. The lungs dont work, the heart is pumping fairly hard, and other organs are in the process of being made. So technically, it isn't alive. Its just a heart pumping to get blood to the brain. I beleive after that it is alive. But either way i don't care. It's up to the parents of the baby whether or not to abort it, not people standing on the side (mostly the catholic church) making a big ignorant fuss about something they can't control. Its just seriously stupid that people these days think that parents these days who have to abort are criminals. Rlly the true criminals are people who make others feel bad because of something those individuals must do.

Showing 721-735 of 1508