ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 311303
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I knew it was only a matter of time before this thread started!

Personally, I believe in a womans right to choose. I don't think that people should sleep around, be unsafe, and get abortions all the time. That is just blatantly irresponsible. But I think that there are certain reasons that would qualify getting one. For example, if a woman was raped or abused, that to me is a reason to get one. If the child is causing the mother serious health concerns, I think that is reasonable as well.

I think that most of the people that make the decisions and laws regarding abortion are men. However much a man would like to say that he understands, and that it is wrong, he can never truly understand because he will never be in that situation.

So personally, I think that in certain situations abortion is an option. And I do not think that the old men in our government should have as much say in the matter as they do.

Paba16
Paba16
229 posts
Nomad

its up to the moms decision

but i personally belive abortion is a unthinkable act towards nature and its taking a life you know there are always other options

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

But you also have to think of the mental and physical impact on the mother. Its not like it would ever be easy giving up a child. But is it better to keep the child, when you know that you cannot care for it and give it a good life? I could not bring a child into this world knowing that I could not provide for or care for them.

Like I said before, guys can talk all they want about how it is wrong. But you can never really understand what the problems are that a woman would face regarding this issue. Not to say that mens opinions do not matter, and are not valid. But I do believe it is true that a man could never fully understand abortion and how it affects a woman.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Carlie:
I see where you are coming from so far as abortions needing certain circumstances. Which, in a perfect world, makes sense. But let us assume that during normal intercourse where there is consent on both side, the birth control of choice fails. Pregnacy follows. (And I am not going to go into the "sleeping around" aspect, as that can differ wildly from person to person.) What to do in this case?

I agree with you so far as a bunch of old, withered mainly very religious men make or break the laws related to abortion. But that may never change on all levels. The best you can hope for is in the next election that more married men which are less fanatic get ushered in.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Well very case is different. For some people, that might be OK, and they would want the child. For other people, it might be the end of the world, and make their lives come crashing down if they had the child.

I think that if it largely affects your life in a negative way, and you cannot take care of the child, then abortion is probably an option.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

My thought exactly.

Although abortion is an available option, as of now it is in general a very costly option. If someone can not even afford the most basic of birth control, how can they be expected to pay for an abortion let alone a child? As of now, it seems like abortion is one of those options that only a very small percentage of people.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

You know, if a bunch of withered old men actually WERE in control of the abortion laws, there would be no abortion. That says to me that someone else is making the laws here. Personally, I think the ONLY time abortion should even be considered is if BOTH the mother AND the child will die if it is not performed. I don't even believe in abortion in cases of pregnancy resulting from molestation, because even if you cannot afford to take care of the child, there will always be someone willing and able to take care of it for you. And as for a woman's choice in the matter, she's not choosing with her own life, or her own body, she's choosing with the life of another person, her child. If that child could speak, what do you think it would have to say about the subject? I don't think it would want to die just because its mother didn't feel like having it. You know, in America, taking the life of an animal is a crime, so shouldn't it also be a crime to take any life at all? When that baby is floating around inside a woman, some may question its humanity, but I don't think anyone can deny that it's ALIVE. And even if it's not human, what if it counted as an animal? It would still be a crime to kill it. I believe that it is human, though. From the time a sperm joins with an egg, that single cell constitutes a complete human life. It contains all the DNA of a human, and DNA doesn't lie.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

One more thing, and I want all of you to think about this good and hard. What if YOU had been aborted before you got a chance to live? And I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all when I say I expect an answer from everyone who reads this.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

If I was aborted, I wouldn't care at all, because I never would have cognitively acknowledged my own existence. I think that abortion should be available, and although it is sad to see that the fetus could have been a happy growing child, it should be under the control of the parents, who should be given the option and choose for themselves.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

while I necessarily don't like abortion, I think here should be a choice whether or not someone could have one. As in rape terms, now teen pregnancy for the foolish and carelessness of two teens, that's something that is really pushing the limits of abortion, as it was I belive originally established for abuse cases. and yes, it's alive, but someone shouldn't have to live with something that reminds them of their worst experiance, but of course, only of their choice

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

oh i'm srry, I didn't know that was a bad word

either way, that's my take on the whole thing

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Brain activity. That doesnt prove my statement wrong.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

Never would have congnitively acknowledged your own existence? Buddy, babies have measurable brain activity within their first trimester!

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

That brain activity includes DREAMS, by the way. And neither do fetuses sleep all the time. They are conscious and capable of observing their surroundings, however limited they may be. I also have no doubt that they have some type of self-awareness.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

Let me also reword my earlier question. What if your mother told you now that she nearly aborted you because she considered you an "inconvenience." How would that make you feel?

Showing 1-15 of 1508