ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 315002
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Abortion = moar stem cells.

Stem cells = better research materials and the possibility to cure diseases

Anyway, it should be a woman's choice, especially for sexually abused victims.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

*applause* Finally someone who agrees with me, we've all said "None of you business!" At least once in our lives, I think all of those against it should shut their yaps and take their own advice.

Mike412
Mike412
332 posts
Nomad

Abortion is an extreme measure, its not a casual decision. I fully support abortion, not necessarily because its right or wrong, but because I'm pro choice with just about everything. Objectors, abortion is not going to effect you, since you're own morals and values would prevent you from seeking one anyways. Its not our place to decide other peoples lives, and forcing your own ideals upon others isn't right. Most of the objections I'm seeing are based upon religious beliefs, which should have no hold over other peoples lives. Its up to you to decide what you want to do, but don't make the decision for the others whom you'll never meet or even understand.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Objectors, abortion is not going to effect you, since you're own morals and values would prevent you from seeking one anyways.

Most people oppose abortion because they believe it is murder. I assume you know this. Well, would you not contribute to stop murder? That's why pro-lifers believe it affects them.
Most of the objections I'm seeing are based upon religious beliefs, which should have no hold over other peoples lives.

Really? Where is religion is abortion even mentioned? The Church defined abortion as morally wrong, true, but that should've been common knowledge because we can't kill life (or potential life, we actually don't know) because they are an inconvenience.
If there's a medical reason, such as the mother will be harmed or killed in giving birth, then have an abortion. But if the reason is for birth control, it really doesn't seem fair to end life for no reason. The mother is under no obligation to take care of the child. Her only responsibility during her pregnancy is to find parents for the child, or an adoption center.
Of course someone else getting killed doesn't affect me. That doesn't mean I don't want to do something about it.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

For the last time...this world seems to think they can get away with EVERYTHING. For the love of everything good if this wouldnt be a problem if teenage sex wasnt an issue. And if your going for it, i dont care, but use protection, or the pill. Then we wouldnt have any problem with this!

Also I dont really see how any woman could kill something living inside of her, unless it for a medical reason, of course

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

For the love of everything good if this wouldnt be a problem if teenage sex wasnt an issue. And if your going for it, i dont care, but use protection, or the pill. Then we wouldnt have any problem with this!

You were a tad confusing, but I think you're saying that if teens are going to have sex they should use protection of some type? If that is right, I fully agree with you. Sex isn't a bad thing, it's a bad thing when stupid people don't weigh the consequences.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

Exactly, people arent that stupid to know you have chances of getting pregnant from unsafe sex

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Also I dont really see how any woman could kill something living inside of her, unless it for a medical reason, of course

But if the reason is for birth control, it really doesn't seem fair to end life for no reason

By that logic, women should be punished for not missing a period. Because then they would be killing something living inside of them. Also, if it is only the woman's job to have the child, then isn't that objectivising women and basically saying that they have committed murder every time they don't miss a period? You basically just said that women were machines for producing children, and should have sex enough to get pregnant enough to never have to have a period. That's disgusting.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, problem is everybody's too irresponsible. I doubt we're about to see a shift in responsibility, so we need to debate under the assumption that there will always be unwanted pregnancies.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

You basically just said that women were machines for producing children, and should have sex enough to get pregnant enough to never have to have a period. That's disgusting.

Oh, sorry, that's not at all what I meant. I would say it isn't life (or potential life) until sperm meets the egg. After all, it takes both to create the child. I would be very happy if women met their periods more frequently, then this wouldn't be such an issue. I only think it is her job if she had the sex beforehand. I know you might say rape doesn't count, but since rape takes up so few abortions, and since I generally accept other viewpoints I don't agree with, that could be included in the other 7% that has legitimate reasons for abortions. Usually I only refer to the 93% whose reason is birth control.
Again, sorry for the confusion Alt. I am sad
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Again, sorry for the confusion Alt. I am sad

It's okay
-------
But what I'm saying is thst that 93% probably isn't just for birth control-there are justifiable birth control reasons, as well as others.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

there are justifiable birth control reasons, as well as others.

Yeah, I think I read earlier something you said about psychological problems (I can't find the page again, but...). However, I thought the psychological problems occured from raising the child, not the actual pregnancy. Might be painful, but all pregnancies are. Please clarify if you meant the raising of the child or the birth being the cause of the psychological stuff.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

There are some times when pregnancies can cause hormonal imabalances that can lead to severe depression-and if a minor is pregnant and would be forced to have the baby as a 'unishment' for being licentious, then the stress may lead to depression or suicide. It should be a doctor's decision and a parent's decision whether a person gets an abortion or not, not the government's.
-------
It's my bedtime. Good night!

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Later, Alt. I know you won't see this until tomorrow, but I won't get back until like 4 PM, so I figured I'd put this now.

It should be a doctor's decision and a parent's decision whether a person gets an abortion or not

Is there a way for the doctor to know if it will cause hormonal imbalances? If so, then I'd be inclined to agree with the first part. However, parents generally want their kids to be happy, and kids, when faced with a delimna, generally want to make it go away however they can (not all kids, just the ones who didn't feel like going to an AG debate forum ).
if a minor is pregnant and would be forced to have the baby as a 'unishment' for being licentious, then the stress may lead to depression or suicide

Would this mean that those who are not minors that get abortion for non-medical reasons don't actually have a reason? I read in a book that 17% of abortions were teenagers, but it was like an 80s book, so that number might've changed by now. Doesn't matter, I'll google it sometime.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Besides the fact that this number is far too large to begin with. It doesn't make sense why all those abortions were not for a good reason(like the mother was r.aped or something)...really, it's not a birth control of any sort =/ People are so confusing...

You read my whole post, right? 93% of 1.37 million is over one million. If not, your confusion is natural. I get confused when I read the end of a book. It usually makes more sense when I read the beginning of it.
whats abortion? is that when your pe pe goes inside of you?

Who said that? If you don't have anything intelligent to say (that's called sex, by the way, not abortion, which is a medical procedure in which a pregnant woman seeks to terminate a fetus in the womb), don't say anthing at all.
Showing 961-975 of 1508