ForumsWEPRAbortion

1508 315004
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

What my peers here think?

I would like to try and avoid a buch of rabid Catholics and Christians falling back only on the religious reasons and what have you. However, I do not see how that can be dodged.

My view? I'm for it. If a woman wants to get one, it is her choice. Some people seem to act like if one woman gets an abortion, it means that all the rest have to. If the child in question is not yours, butt out.

Also, on a lighter note, I say that abortions should be allowed when kids are up to 18 years old. That would solve a lot of headaches, eh?

• 1,508 Replies
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

thisisnotanalt: Yeah, I guess I do. But I only believe that even a bad life is still a life, so if you wanted, you could call me pro-choice. I still call myself pro-life because I would rather see all abortions denied than all abortions accepted, since only a small percentage actually ends up helping the mother without harming the child.

ikilledkenny
ikilledkenny
17 posts
Nomad

abortion is a basically a murder. how would you feel if your parents wanted to abort you.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

@BigP: Either way, there would be many unnecessary deaths. Mpore deaths if all abortions are denied.
-----------
@kenny: I have heard that statement so many times in argument about this. That is one of the most tired, stupid things you could possibly say in an intelligent debate. *ushers you off to find an intelligent argument*

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

thisisnotanalt: Yeah, the best option would be to have the mother need some kind of medical reason to obtain an abortion. I'm just saying that since most abortions are just used for birth control, and so few are done for medical reasons, I'd rather it go one way than the other.

fourtytwo
fourtytwo
698 posts
Nomad

@kenny: I have heard that statement so many times in argument about this. That is one of the most tired, stupid things you could possibly say in an intelligent debate. *ushers you off to find an intelligent argument*
Where is your answer then? If it is a stupid question that isn't totally nonsense, there should be an easy answer.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

The medical reasons for having an abortion are widespread currently. The psychological effects on the mother are huge anyway and can good enough a reason for an abortion to be granted. i'm not saying it is easy but I'm not sure how hard it would be to show that having an unwanted baby would have a negative effect on the psychological welfare of the mother.

The 1967 abortion act states:

Under 28 weeks to avoid injury to the physical or mental health of the woman
Under 28 weeks to avoid injury to the physical or mental health of the existing child(ren)

Side note:

In Brazil recently a 9 year old girl and her mother + doctors were excomunicated from the church because the girl had an abortion after being raped.

BBC page on the story

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

@42: I wouldn't care if my parents aborted me, because I would have no cognitive registration of my existence. Also, abortion is legal, and murder is the illegal killing of someone, and it comes down to thew question of whether killing the potential of life is as bad or worse than killing actual life. It IS a stupid question, because it doesn't take into account that aborted fetuses aren't sentient and don't have any cognitive registration of their own existence, and while it is sad when one dies, I would rather kill a fetus than a grown woman. Of course, it is sad when any life would have to be ended, but sometimes it is necessary.

ShaitanLord
ShaitanLord
21 posts
Nomad

I think that if the woman that is pregnant doesn't want a child she can choose to abort, but also if the father doesn't want a child he can forfeit that baby so that he is no longer legal the parent. From then on the woman can choose to abort or keep the child and support it alone.

Yinyang120
Yinyang120
8 posts
Nomad

Let me ask you a question. Would you rather see a poor mother, living in a carboard box on the street trying to nurse a child because she didn't have enough money for both her and her baby? Would you rather see a young teenage mother crying as she gives her child to a family whom she knows very little about? It's very rare that women abort their children, their own flesh and blood, just because the child is an "inconveinance" and there are even some abortion clinics that won't let you abort unless having the child could be life threatening. The point i'm trying to make, is that when somebody aborts, it's to save a child from future misery, not just because they feel like it.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Yinyang120: According to http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

Why women have abortions
1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

So very few abortions are performed to save the child from future misery. I would support abortion if the child would already die or if the mother would already die. I don't agree with it, but I can see your reasoning on saving the child future misery. However, the 93% that aborts for social reasons is nothing I can understand. And according to http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html, 1.37 million abortions are performed every year. So that's more than one million abortions performed for no medical reason.
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

@BigP08

I agree with you, I would support abortion if it was for a legit reason. Abortion was originally intended for victims of r.ape or health reasons. Its so unfortunate that people are using it as a birth control.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

*looks at above post*
*HEADDESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSK*

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

*looks at above post*
*HEADDESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSK*

Srsly...

To slightly contribute-
1.37 million abortions are performed every year.

Besides the fact that this number is far too large to begin with. It doesn't make sense why all those abortions were not for a good reason(like the mother was r.aped or something)...really, it's not a birth control of any sort =/ People are so confusing...
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

whats abortion? is that when your pe pe goes inside of you?

Cheze i'm not sure that your exactly old enough nor knowledgeable enough to post on this thread...

Anyway Raptor most of those abortions come form places like China where they have population control laws therefore when your family exceeds its limit the child is legally required to be aborted.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Ahm. . .he sounds uninformed. The age isn't necessarily as much of a factor (I'm three years younger than him and I've contributed in that past) but this is a serious topic.
----------
Not all of the 'birth control' abortions should be stamoed out as wrong. There are some psychological strains from being pregnant that are enough to drive the mother to suicide-and the baby to death. Physoical reasons shouldn't be the only viable reasons for an abortion.

Showing 946-960 of 1508