ForumsArt, Music, and WritingStrop's sporadic scrapbook

1567 749585
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Right, so I pulled out of the previous GFX round due to not being able to finish on time. Since then I've been working on the image on-and-off and now it's finished only about a week late.

The picture shown below is half the size, the fullsize one can be found by clicking on the picture.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a268/dongstyle_ltd/Not%20photos/technologyfinal.jpg

The full resolution pic (1280xs1024) is low quality...the high quality version is 1.1Mb and doesn't fit on photobucket xD Lame. Except I feel justified with the size...this was hand-drawn from start to finish.

I should have tidied up the sketchlines more, but wasn't actually intending to spend this much effort on it. Meh.

• 1,567 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I *think* I recognize the Pie poem. Now I know you said neurological conditions, but there are psychological disorders in which a man/woman has a tendency to only care about/spot one half of an object and thus their interactions with said object can differ greatly from the norm. It was around the beginning of Fall semester in Psychology where we were talking about these sorts of things. Maybe Strop can signify whether I paid attention in that part of class or not ;P

Not sure about the last poem...

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

Maybe Strop can signify whether I paid attention in that part of class or not ;P

Did you pay attention to one half of the class?
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Did you pay attention to one half of the class?

I C wat u did. Yeah, I made sure I paid attention fully in that class. Got an 88 in it too! It's a core class for my major so I had to push myself... The teacher was evil though. Talking about various aspects of sleep at 8:30. Meanie!

Does that MRI part in the poem signify what you have to undergo in order to fix it or to just find out if you have multiple sclerosis?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

lol

but there are psychological disorders in which a man/woman has a tendency to only care about/spot one half of an object and thus their interactions with said object can differ greatly from the norm

There's an significant overlap with psychology and neurology, properly speaking a neuropsychologist or neuropsychiatrist would actually handle most of the cases. Prof. Oliver Sacks (professor of psychiatry and neurology) was the first to document this phenomenon in detail in his memoirs of patients with right-sided neurological deficits, the essence of the accounts can be found in his book The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat. In fact if you do read the chapter on hemineglect, you'll find that my poem is actually based on that exact case study, as Prof. Sacks described the lady's manner of eating pies. She may have seen the whole pie, but she only perceived half of it, just as she only perceived half of everything else, which meant that she literally applied makeup to half her face, dressed half her body etc.

I have seen patients like these on neurology wards, and because they have no concept of one half of everything all the inconveniences and dysfunctions that follow kinda just get shrugged off like "oh that's strange but I have no idea why that happens." If you tell them "you're not processing one half of everything you see," they'll look at you confused because that's certainly not how it feels to them!

Frank, you probably wouldn't have recognised the latter poem as it's primarily neurological and only neurologists look after the primary disorder. Rehabilitation physicians look after all the secondary effects.

Multiple sclerosis is a progressive (to varying degrees) demyelinating disorder of the central nervous system. It's defined and diagnosed by a combination of clinical manifestations but importantly on imaging of the brain, strictly "at least two lesions disseminated in space and time". The lesions typically appear as hyperintensities on T1-weighted images and come and go in various places (hence the first few lines).

Onset and course varies, as does presentation and prognosis. The experience varies hugely, but the most common symptoms are eye pain and blurring of vision, muscular pains, numbness and weakness, heat intolerance, fatigue, alterations to bowel and bladder function, altered memory and cognition, and depression. We don't have any curative treatment, only treatment that modestly prolongs functioning, and rehabilitation, because ultimately, most people with MS end up completely unable to live independently. This, and glioblastoma multiforme, are among the most frustrating of CNS conditions because we don't entirely understand and can't do very much about either, the main difference being that GBM generally kills you in weeks to months.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I've settled into a new style of doing Strop caricatures. You can blame Cen for the whole chibi thing.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/stropmd/stropmd2.png

They'll be appearing in my new blog from this point onwards!

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Nice picture
And nice blog too! =D
Will you add more pictures to the blog? Though I doubt you'll manage more than three a month xD

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

lol it's been nearly two months and still no pictures. Working on the WoM.

Speaking of which, as I said on the WoM thread, I really wanted to draw Felicia. So I did.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/stropmd/felicia.png

Now I must go to bed, for while I have half a day off tomorrow, I still have half a day on D:

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I got distracted from the WoM again, this time writing music.

Now Go Forth! (Let Us See the Strength of Your Will)

Filesize: 4.2Mb
Length: 3:38

Swedboy2010
Swedboy2010
2 posts
Nomad

Incredible drawing!
I wish I had more skills so I can show you, my awesome drawing!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I may get flamed for uploading this:

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/afroman.png

It's no secret that I'm not very good at drawing hair. So I set up some blank mannequins and started doodling around... until my housemate came home and requested that I draw an afro.

On a black dude.

With big lips and a big nose.

The bum chin, shades, floral shirt, styled burns, hairy chest, stubble, and stubbly fingers all followed naturally after that. BRING BACK THE BLAXPLOITATION, BRO!!!

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

It's no secret that I'm not very good at drawing hair

*coughcough*

You got halftone as a feature in OC??!
isaaccarroll
isaaccarroll
1 posts
Nomad

[b]you are a wiced artist

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Thanks to all those complimenting. I haven't been able to put out much due to spending most of my actual free time planning and finishing up the Way of Moderatioin tournament.

Another little diversion from that, though, in the form of Cen and my mutual fanboying over Gurren Lagann...

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/censiu.png

...and noting the similarities between Cen and Rossiu.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

Cen looks much better (and more imposing) in that getup than that pinstripe suit he wears.

littlebuddy0
littlebuddy0
2 posts
Peasant

wow very cool pisture it looks like a cyborg

Showing 1306-1320 of 1567