ForumsWEPRShould Animals Have Rights? Why?

309 59467
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Should animals have any rights? If you answer please explain.

• 309 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Okay, if humans didn't eat animals like cows and chickens, what would we do with those animals?

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

This is not abot weither to eat them or not, Ernie, it is about how we treat thm, before we kill them.
But a good answer: Nothing. Stop breeding on them, since they would never be able to survive in the wild. Or breed them back to the wild appearance.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Of course, if we don't kill them, wild animals will; and wild animals will do it much more painfully.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Yes. But still the animals should be able to have a normal life until then. Not a life filled with fear and pain, enclosed spaces and dirt all over.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

This topic doesn't appear to be about what animals actually want; it's about what people want for the animals. So until humans can accurately speak for what is on the animals' minds, there is no reason to continue this argument.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

The topic is "Should animals have rights?"... Do you not think Humanity have a obligation for animals to have a good life?
Repeating myself: Frightened meat does not taste as good as happy meat... Should wounds on pigs are your favorite dish, eh?

deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

how does that make sense? im sure the animals dont want to die but they need to. im pretty sure that wounded meat tastes the same as happy meat.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

im sure the animals dont want to die but they need to

Not really the question here.

wounded meat tastes the same as happy meat.

It is an old saying that he animals should not be frightened before it is slaughtered, as that would make the meat taster sour.

Anyway, should animals not have a nice, happy, almost free (as in they are able to move more than an inch) li, before they have to give their lives for us to have food?
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Okay, if humans didn't eat animals like cows and chickens, what would we do with those animals?
Let them become extinct, or keep them for milk and eggs... But as Cenere said. It is not about whether they end up as someone's dinner, it is about them not being mistreated before they do.

how does that make sense? im sure the animals dont want to die but they need to. im pretty sure that wounded meat tastes the same as happy meat.
Fear and distress most likely releases hormones or adrenalin or similar things into the meat... I'm guessing here, but I dare say it's not a complete shot in the dark...

I have a question.

Why are some of you not willing to let animals have the right to a decent life before they are killed?
luvers4ever
luvers4ever
13 posts
Nomad

I specifically say that they shouldn't have rights. Animals can't talk, so how could they possibly have rights. Now, I do think that they shouldn't be abused or neglected but having rights for animals makes no sense.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I think the word should be us having a obligation towards the health of animals. Obligation? But well.
I was attacked by a vegetarian once, because of some misunderstandings with this problem with animal abuse...
Decent lives, please?

deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

@ zophia

do you really think they would appreciate it?

deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

also, why would you think they would have happy lives? they eat, sleep, poop, and provide for us. that makes their lives have meaning. it makes an impact on the world by letting at least one person eat.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Oh, over again.
Sure, you should be able to eat meat, when ever you want, the thread is not discussing that.
But letting an animal have a decent life until it is slaughtered? Is that so bad? To make sure they do not suffer?
If not happy, then natural life, a life with unnecessary pain and stress.
Animals do feel pain, and can be happy or sad to some extent.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

do you really think they would appreciate it?
Do you know they won't? Why are you intent on treating them like things instead of living beings, or rather, why do you not respect creatures that are not human?
I am NOT saying you shouldn't eat them, but why do you refuse to acknowledge the lives that you feed on?

Btw, it costs more resources to survive on mostly meat than mostly grains and veggies...
Showing 166-180 of 309