The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104865
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Or: Creaionism have not been proven, but not proven wrong either, because how could anyone prove something wrong, when they cannot prove God is not real...

Yes, I would agree with this. There is no evidence supporting creationism, but at the same time, how are we to know if a designer really did create everything? There is no way to prove that it doesn't exist. But then that leaves it open so that it also cannot be proven to exist. Because since religion is based on faith, not evidence, we will never really be given a 'sign'. So basically, there is no way to either prove or disprove creationism. But, I still hold to my thoughts that creationism does not have scientific proof or backup. And is therefore not science.

Here is something to consider though. If we were created by a designer (in Christianity, in God's image), then why are we not physically perfect? If we were designed, why do we have superfluous body parts and imperfections? We don't use our tailbone. So why do we have one? The appendix doesn't do anything useful, besides explode and kill you. Why do we have conditions like sciatica? It is basically due to the bad placement of the sciatic nerve. If it was placed just slightly farther away from the vertebrae, this issue would never arise. Millions of people would be without shooting lower back pains. But it is just badly designed. We aren't made very well for upright posture.

So why these imperfections?
deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

Here is something to consider though. If we were created by a designer (in Christianity, in God's image), then why are we not physically perfect?

the reason is because, as it is said in the bible, that no man is perfect. only god is perfect.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

the reason is because, as it is said in the bible, that no man is perfect. only god is perfect.

But we are made in God's image, right? Physically, we should not have these issues. I am not saying that man should be perfect, after all we are only the image. But if we were so well designed, then why all of the dysfunctional body parts and functions?
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

But if we were so well designed, then why all of the dysfunctional body parts and functions?

Because after the fall i.e. strains of what are viruses today mutated to become...the viruses we see today in the beggining they proably had another function but when sin and death entered the world so did things like that
deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

maybe god didnt want us all to be perfect because he didnt want us to rise against him and retaliate. idk why anybody would do that, just a thought...

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

maybe god didnt want us all to be perfect because he didnt want us to rise against him and retaliate. idk why anybody would do that, just a thought...

God could kill all of us in less than a second buck like i said we were perfect before the fall but after things changed
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

One attempt at reconciling this I've seen is in fact asserting that perfection would render the relationship between God and mankind pointless.

You can call that either question-begging or theological definition, depending on your premises. Regardless, don't get me started on the number of ways the body could go wrong for no apparent reason!!!

deth4
deth4
759 posts
Nomad

its just because of gods plan then.. anyways back to the topic, i think they should let them teach creationism, its just a belief, just like evolution. im surprised people arent protesting about how evolution shouldnt be teached. but hey people will protest just about anything these days. i think it better to just keep my opinion to myself, not march the streets with signs. theology should be like... an elective or an optional choice. if it doesnt work, then hey just abandon it, because it would be taking up too much cash.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

How many different ways do you folks need to get this?

Evolution is science, and should be taught in a science classroom.

Creationism is not science, therefore it has no place there.

End of argument

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I would like to re-iterate what dyrnwyn said before in a slightly more coherent manner.

First, I would like to note that this only applies to public schools, as private schools can do as they please. (To an extent.)

The christen creationism is based on "fact" only supported by old texts and the faith that the events portrayed in these texts are true. It follows that, if the bible is enough evidence to teach it's word as fact, then so does the Koran and Bhagavad-gita, and indeed the teachings of the flying spaghetti monster. If you teach one, you must teach the others.

So why these imperfections?
Humans were made in god's image. Not exactly the same, but god's image. It is entirely possible to look like something and still not be like something.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

General notice: When arguing on the internet, please minimise the usage of phrases like "end of argument". It makes you (and I use this phrase a lot these days), look like a knob. Unless you mean "this is the end of my argument," in which case it's merely extraneous and...makes you look like a knob.

An argument ends when the thread slowly dies or gets locked.

Specific to this thread, the discussion extends past whether creationism ought to be taught in the science classroom.

tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

General notice: When arguing on the internet, please minimise the usage of phrases like "end of argument". It makes you (and I use this phrase a lot these days), look like a knob. Unless you mean "this is the end of my argument," in which case it's merely extraneous and...makes you look like a knob.
An argument ends when the thread slowly dies or gets locked.
Specific to this thread, the discussion extends past whether creationism ought to be taught in the science classroom.

Sometimes being a knob might not be a bad thing.

So the argument is that Evolution, or creationism, should be taught in English class, or perhaps Math class?

Evolution is science, therefore it belongs in a science cirriculum.

Creationism is, at best, philosophy, at worst, theology, therefore it has no real place in a school cirriculum at all. I've yet to see a public school with a philosophy/theology class.
Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

That I have seen. But then again, it's a Christian school. You will probably never see theology being taught in public high schools. They normally save that for universities...

lily92606
lily92606
216 posts
Nomad

Evolution shouldnt be taugh at all but thats my thinking

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Evolution shouldnt be taugh at all but thats my thinking
Why not?
Showing 271-285 of 697