The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104868
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

Probably because not everyone believes in evolution. I personally don't!

lily92606
lily92606
216 posts
Nomad

thank you snakebite i NO NOT believe that crap for a sec but that is my thinking.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I can't help but reply to the off-tpic part first :P

Sometimes being a knob might not be a bad thing.

Maybe sometimes, I'll give you that, but now is not one of those times >:3

Ultimately my original point is that some emphases end up undermining your delivery, which is counterproductive.

Creationism is, at best, philosophy, at worst, theology, therefore it has no real place in a school cirriculum at all. I've yet to see a public school with a philosophy/theology class.

I would actually say that creationism is by definition theology. It has nothing to do with philosophy. And I also have to point out that I don't know what public school is like in the US, because in Australia, philosophy/theology classes exist both in the public and private school system, hence I didn't consider the latter point.
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

I can't help but reply to the off-tpic part first :P
Sometimes being a knob might not be a bad thing.
Maybe sometimes, I'll give you that, but now is not one of those times >:3
Ultimately my original point is that some emphases end up undermining your delivery, which is counterproductive.
Creationism is, at best, philosophy, at worst, theology, therefore it has no real place in a school cirriculum at all. I've yet to see a public school with a philosophy/theology class.
I would actually say that creationism is by definition theology. It has nothing to do with philosophy. And I also have to point out that I don't know what public school is like in the US, because in Australia, philosophy/theology classes exist both in the public and private school system, hence I didn't consider the latter point.

As you are a mod and I am not, I cannot argue the knob point.

I am of the opinion that theology is a primitive form of philosophy, as it is an attempt to answer questions for which the answers are not readily available, or easily quantifiable. I read somewhere where a person considered theology to be "...the training wheels of philosophy..." However poor training wheels they may be, human progress made its way to philosophy, science, and mathematics (and a whole host of other subjects) by means of theology.

Our ancestors all worshiped spirits and gods, dabbled in magic and sorcery, connected the points of light in the night sky to form mythological creatures, and thought they could use alchemy to turn lead into gold, long before they begain to fashion more logical and rational approaches to explore, discover, and explain, reality.
lily92606
lily92606
216 posts
Nomad

Evolution, school cirriculum no dont think it should be taught at all they should not teach either one in the schools

IAMMERCY
IAMMERCY
305 posts
Nomad

this evolution bull snit is getting ridiculous...theres more topics on this than anything!!!

lily92606
lily92606
216 posts
Nomad

good it needs to be more topics

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

thats the definition of philosophy according to that i'd say evolution is more a philosophy than creationism , christians already know our principles evolutionists use it's principles (we have none) \\ but in the rational sense i'd say that they are equal
dyrnwyn
dyrnwyn
129 posts
Herald

Schools can get away with teaching evolution because it is (allegedly) based on science. If they tried to teach other religions they could get a letter like this [url=http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/], this is actually how the flying spaghetti monster got started it was a sort of protest. And a school usually doesn't have the kind of monster budget necessary to keep that many classes going.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe

definition of religion...both creationism and evolution fit this perfectly
dyrnwyn
dyrnwyn
129 posts
Herald

sorry about the link. I'm still getting used to this.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

This is the link dyrnwyn was posting.

What proof does christen creationism have over Flying Spaghetti Monsterism? And indeed other religions.

dyrnwyn
dyrnwyn
129 posts
Herald

no actually evolution has nothing to do with the creation or purpose of the universe and only the nature of LIVING things, nothing else. So it only really fulfills a very small amount of that criteria.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

no actually evolution has nothing to do with the creation or purpose of the universe and only the nature of LIVING things, nothing else. So it only really fulfills a very small amount of that criteria.

I'm guessing you believe in the big bang?which i consider to go hand in hand with evolution "creation." Also the purpose I would say and I'm sure others would agree is nothing were here by random chance we die and were gone we have no purpose.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

one thing is creationism is based on science we do not say god messes with carbon dating we say it's wrong for scientific reasons refer to my earlier posts for more on this. We say that god crated the universe and Noah's flood was the last act he had that had any affect on what we see today. Also I would argue fossils are proof of this flood.

Showing 286-300 of 697