ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104845
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

You have to know what both of them are to make a logical choice about them. Denying information because of personal opinion is almost a censorship. Or don't teach children either and have dumber kids.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

You have to know what both of them are to make a logical choice about them. Denying information because of personal opinion is almost a censorship. Or don't teach children either and have dumber kids.

No you don't. Have you ever learned about alchemy? I doubt so. But you can easily say that modern chemistry is actually true, do you? Its not opinion. Its fact. Evolution is a fact. Creationism is just wishful thinking. Unless you have proof you would like to put forth?
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

No you don't. Have you ever learned about alchemy?

*cough* Actually I have learned about alchemy. :]
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Different strands of DNA cannot spontaneously appear or come into being. Mutations can occur, but no new DNA, which is needed to make a new species or creature.

They don't 'spontaneously' come into being, and there is no credible scientific theory which even says that they do. Variations (mutations) occur in each generation, and after numerous generations these variations become more and more pronounced until we eventually have a completely new creature.

Sorry MageGrayWolf, evolution cannot be true.

Too bad it is true. It's an observed, documented, demonstrated fact. You can plug your ears and not listen all you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

There is no logical choice to be made. Evolution is a proven fact, creationism is superstition. Superstition has no place in science class. No one is denying information because of personal opinion, they are denying it because it's wrong, and it's irresponsible and detrimental to our society and our future to teach as fact something which is not true.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

*cough* Actually I have learned about alchemy. :]

...How in depth exactly?

Fine. Than how about the theory of Ether? I doubt you learned that, and it was once a standing theory.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

...How in depth exactly?

Fine. Than how about the theory of Ether? I doubt you learned that, and it was once a standing theory.

The only reason I say both should be taught is because the more a person is taught, the less someone else can bull**** them.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

The only reason I say both should be taught is because the more a person is taught, the less someone else can bull**** them.

It depends how it is tough, doesn't it? If the people in the Bible Belt decide they want to show creationism in a more favorable light, they can. And besides, once again, if it doesn't have any evidence it doesn't belong in school. Find some evidence then you can teach all you want... Until then, **** off the schools.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I agree. However I disagree that such information should be presented in science classes, or even as a regular part of curriculum, up to and to include, at the high school level. You cannot teach an opinion without evidence alongside, or as an alternative to, one of the most overwhelmingly proven scientific facts.

If you want this taught, then you must teach the stork theory of childbirth, the flat earth theory, the geocentric theory, phrenology, astrology, palmistry, and so on ad infinitum.
xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

If you want this taught, then you must teach the stork theory of childbirth, the flat earth theory, the geocentric theory, phrenology, astrology, palmistry, and so on ad infinitum.

True. I believed in the stork for the first 10 years of my life. *sigh* Sad disappointment the day I found out he wasn't real.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Ah, but could you image how ridiculed you would be if you still believed that to be true? How would you be able to reproduce if you thought you just had to wait for a stork? And I certainly hope you can see how ridiculous it would be to be sitting in sex-ed and hear your teacher explain the stork theory and present it as an actual alternative to sexual reproduction.

xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

Teach neither then. I just feel both should be taught/explained so that nuts cant take advantage
over your lack of knowledge and fill it in with their own.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Teach neither then. I just feel both should be taught/explained so that nuts cant take advantage

Are you serious? Teach neither? Well then, let's just do away with schooling altogether!
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

*EPIC facepalm* Really? That's your brilliant solution? Teach neither? So we'll just do away with science altogether shall we? Creationism has NO right to be taught seeing as it is a LIE and a lie that some sad people still believe. It has no place in school on the off chance that it might corrupt someone's thinking and have them start spewing ignorance and billigerent statements such as "GOD IS ALL POWERFUL!"
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Why should neither be taught just because one has no validity? As for preventing nuts from taking advantage teaching it as an alternative would have nuts taking advantage. So your premise for why it should be taught is fundamentally flawed.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

You believe in creationism or intelligent design? So watch THIS and THIS. Enjoy it

Showing 586-600 of 697