ForumsWEPREvolution, creationism and the school cirriculum

697 104841
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Well to start out i dont beleive in evoltuion so the fact that other things cant be taught really ticks me off but i just want to see what people think and why.

• 697 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I cannot believe that something so complex as the human body, or photosynthesis, or anything else, could happen as an "accident."

Keep in mind that we had a pretty.big. wait time for us to get to where we are now. We had a couple billion years for our evolutionary line to take shape, form, and advance. We are just the most-recent form. We are still flawed.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Oh, and another factoid which shows evidence of common ancestry. Did you know that human DNA is a ~50% match to most common plants? Yep, we're half plant. You know why? Because all life evolved from the first cells, which created the first DNA strain. Since we all came from the first DNA, we all share many similarities. Now, why would God have to use something like common base pairs in our DNA? Why would God create everything in such a manner as to make it look like everything evolved, when all he had to do was blink everything into existence in it's current form?

cddm95ace
cddm95ace
165 posts
Nomad

You see, we already know the big bang is real, we already know abiogenesis is real, and we already know that evolution is real.

and I know that God and creation is real. My "moldy tome" told me so.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

and I know that God and creation is real. My "moldy tome" told me so.

Yep, and Hobbits and Ents are real too. I have 4 moldy tomes that tell me so. Your point?
Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

I had a hobbit as a friend once. Turns out he was a hairy midget. Joke. Please don't take any offense.

My "moldy tome" told me so.

Who wrote the original "moldy tome"? Was it God? No, according to history it was the followers and disciples. Therefore no proof unless "god's" DNA is smeared over the original covers.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I had a hobbit as a friend once. Turns out he was a hairy midget. Joke. Please don't take any offense.

See, I had the opposite happen. I thought this guy was a midget, but turns out he lived in this hole in a hill. He had some weird ring too, and kept asking my how to get to this one volcano or something. Rather strange fellow.

Who wrote the original "moldy tome"? Was it God? No, according to history it was the followers and disciples. Therefore no proof unless "god's" DNA is smeared over the original covers.

Not to mention that the books were all written well after the events they describe took place, calling into question their validity and accuracy, and that it was men who chose what 'scriptures' made it into the bible, and which were rejected. Seems like if god wrote it then men wouldn't need to do any editing....
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

Man, I like you guys! These last few pages have been a thrilling read. I would like to refer you to [url=http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/Darwin-Birthday-Believe-Evolution.aspx] the gallup polling about Americans' belief in evolution. I find it rather telling that those with a high school education or less are more likely to disagree with evolution than to agree. However, the more educated a person becomes, the more likely they are to agree with evolution. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE!!! The notion that creationism should be taught in schools along side or in contrast to evolution is ridiculous. For the last 2 decades (from what I remember) the rightwing conservatives have been moving farther and farther to the right, claiming nuttier and nuttier things, then demanding compromise from the liberals, who end up moving farther and farther towards the center/right. Politics aside, scientific facts are NOT something that you can compromise! period. Intelligent Design was literally made up based off of a creationism text book. To roughly quote Lisa Simpson: I don't come to your churches teaching science, so don't come to my classroom and teach religion.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Yah, I've seen that poll. It actually really scares me that so many people in America don't understand one of the fundamental principles in science, however it does explain why there is not such an outcry to keep religious dogma and superstition out of science coursework.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Some polls are even worst, I remember one in particular where the results were:
13% of Americans believe in naturalistic evolution
48% of Americans believe that God created "humans pretty much in the present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so"
30% of Americans took the middle ground responding that they believed "Humans developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process"
9% unsure

The results vary -probably- from where you are asking, I suppose in the big cities ( e.g. Chicago, Washington etc.) more people "believe" in evolution, whereas in rural areas more people believe in God.
In any case the persons who don't "believe" in evolution are quite some.
Personally I find this rather disappointing.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

What do Christians think of dinasaur bones that have been proven to exist way before their idea of the world?

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I suppose some of them think that are misdated.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I love my friend to death, but he seriously does not believe in dinosaurs, or the bones that were left from them. I don't know how he can't believe in them, but after some talk, he thinks it's temptation. That's just one guy though, but that sounds really extreme to me.

13% of Americans believe in naturalistic evolution

Seems higher than what I've seen, so I guess that's a good thing.
Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

HAHA, i knew a girl in college who didn't believe in dinosaurs. wowsers

Thaytekk
Thaytekk
3 posts
Bard

I think that in public schools they should teach about evolution, but they should just mention that there are other theories of how human life came about, and it is personal opinion of which theory you believe.

I think public schools should teach evolution, but not as if it were fact.. i think they should teach all views on the matter in an unbiased (or as unbiased as they can manage) manner, and let the students decide for themselves what they believe. I personally think they would choose creationism as the 'theory' with the most evidence.

every living thing is evidence. they're way to complex to have come into being by random chance. Dr. J. Wile says that the chances of all the chemicals required for life coming together randomly are the equivalent to a poker player drawing a royal flush 19 times in a row.
Showing 616-630 of 697