ForumsThe Tavern[old] Immovable object vs. Unstoppable force

110 25386
kareybh
kareybh
158 posts
Nomad

What happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object?

I've tossed this around at school, and I've gotten some interesting answers. I'll post them after this picks up a bit and i see some of your ideas.

• 110 Replies
sense
sense
1,036 posts
Nomad

Then make a new thread...

Armorkage
Armorkage
247 posts
Nomad

ok, ok look what would happen:
-if the immovable object is in contact with something movable, the immovable object will move that thing instead
-if the immovable object is in contact with nothing, there will be a shockwave destroying all universe
-if the immovable object has a hole, the unstoppable force would go through it
-if the immovable object is in contact with something immovable, the force will be transferred in a continuum flux between the two objects, thus nothing would happen

Fritz_Rublehem
Fritz_Rublehem
1,076 posts
Nomad

Nothing will happen at all mate, it's just the natural course of things in life. But the immovable object will move, no matter what.

"Strength lies not in defense but in attack."
- Adolf Hitler

This quote says it all

Blackmetal77
Blackmetal77
74 posts
Nomad

Absolutly nothing happens. The force would go right around the object without moving it at all. The force would just continue to go around it.

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Hitlers attack can't have been that good then eh Fritz_Rublehem ("oh no he didn't " "I think he just did&quot lol

From reading this thread I still can't see an answer. As sense has said it is in a parallel universe so I suppose anything could happen. The force could touch a duck. In a real situation neither can exist when the other occurs. Since they proove each other wrong.

A man was selling a shield and a spear. He saw a man who was interested in the spear and started on his sales speech, saying that the spear could got through ant shield. When the man showed interest in the shield the salesman said the shiels could defend against any spear. The man asked how it could be possible for both these to exist and the salesman could not answer. Moral: Don't contradict yourself.

sonic_feet
sonic_feet
12 posts
Nomad

immovable - to be in a sustained position forever or until destroyed
unstoppable - something that is physically impossible to stop

if the unstoppable force breaks the said "immovable object" then the force wins however the object still has not moved
HOWEVER
if the object does not break then the unstoppable force either:
A. continues to act upon the object yielding no result
B. or passes by the object all together

either way it seems that the unstoppable force wins since forces innately cannot be stopped. (Like Gravity)

sonic_feet
sonic_feet
12 posts
Nomad

2. The unstoppable force is diverted around the immovable object

this is the only reasonable one of your statements (or at least thats what i believe)
1. nothing can destroy the universe
3. everything exists or what are we?
4. energy always reacts with one another unless acted upon by an outside force.
boydorn
boydorn
343 posts
Nomad

however , though you may say forces cannot be stopped, equally, if the mass was immovable then, as mass may not be destroyed, the force could not 'win' could it? the only outcome i could possibly see is that the mass is converted into energy, producing an epic amount of the stuff and making a very interesting light show :P

(the assumption is that every single part (yes every atom) of the object is immovable, and therefore the object cannot be broken apart (which might be seen as destroying it). the mass of which the object is composed cannot be destroyed itself)

sonic_feet
sonic_feet
12 posts
Nomad

the only outcome i could possibly see is that the mass is converted into energy

Not so. Mass is only converted when it is destroyed which releases the energy within the atoms so unless destroyed it cannot be converted. and it said immovable not indestructible. mass can be destroyed however destroyed might not be the right word. its more like broken up into many objects with less mass per object but the same mass as a whole.
boydorn
boydorn
343 posts
Nomad

neither mass nor energy can be created nor destroyed, a conversion can take place, but it is not fundamentally removed from existance. And as i said in the brackets, my idea was assuming that every part of the object was fixed in its place immovably, not just the base of the object being stuck to the ground or whatever, it would be a truly immovable object! and i also said it could not be broken apart, because all that would be doing is moving bits of the object!

sonic_feet
sonic_feet
12 posts
Nomad

energy destroyed (example) stopping a falling bike that took energy from my body and it is no more
mass destroyed (example) an object broke into smaller ones. it will never have the same mass again

a conversion can take place you are right but you would need a controlled environment.

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Nothing would happen...they're moving in opposite directions.

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

Actually, it would all depend on what the force and the object were. if the force was gravity and the object was, say, a black hole...nothing would really happen.

boydorn
boydorn
343 posts
Nomad

first example, energy not destroyed, rather kinetic energy converted partly into sound energy (which you know there will be in a collision), and a little heat from the friction (yes an infintissemally small amount!) most of the enrgy however would be transferred into the ground, making it shake a bit!

Second example, as you said before, the smaller units combined would have the same total mass, therefore none has been removed, it can have exactly the same mass again if all the pieces were reassembled, because none has disappeared, it cant just be destroyed!

im not trying to criticise you, its goof you're thinking this through rather than just shouting at me that im wrong lol, but look up conxervation of energy on wikipedia, heres a quick quote (by the way how do i quote something, like put that line before it?)

"In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant. A consequence of this law is that energy cannot be created or destroyed. The only thing that can happen with energy in an isolated system is that it can change form, that is to say for instance kinetic energy can become thermal energy. Because energy is associated with mass in the Einstein's theory of relativity, the conservation of energy also implies the conservation of mass in isolated systems (that is, the mass of a system cannot change, so long as energy is not permitted to enter or leave the system)." i.e. the amoutn of mass and energy is always the same as it always was, but there can be convertions between the two, and of form within each...in a nutshell :P

boydorn
boydorn
343 posts
Nomad

im so sorry about the speling there! laptop keybords tsk!

im not trying to criticise you, its GOOD you're thinking this through rather than just shouting at me that im wrong lol, but look up CONSERVATION of energy....

etc, sorry!

Showing 76-90 of 110