ForumsPopular MediaBattle of the Bands: Locked due to inactivity. (Page ...)

4274 2607020
XxLBJames23xX
XxLBJames23xX
769 posts
Peasant

This thread while hold competitions to see which band AG likes the most. You vote on which of the following band is better and why. Then, I will add all of the votes and see which band is better.

RULES
1.You can only vote one time
2.Do not spam (duh).
3.Do not complain if the band you want to win loses

Please keep this clean and I will try to pick bands that people know of.

The first battle will be between....
Kiss and Aerosmith

• 4,274 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have to disagree. I do not consider nu metal metal at all. Full explanation later my phone glitches.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Found this off the net and it sums up my view.

Slipknot is considered Nu-Metal. While the validity of Nu-Metal as a Metal genre is up for debate (to a certain point), I personally don't think Nu-Metal is a valid Metal genre. Now, don't think of me as a fickle music lover (as I do enjoy certain Nu-Metal bands), I have simply adopted the views of many Metal listeners around me.

First of all, it needs to be understood that heaviness alone does not make a band Metal. People who believe this often claim that Nu-Metal is Metal because it is "heavy". However, what causes Nu-Metal to be heavy is its guitars, which are low-pitched and often distorted. It doesn't focus too much on melody. Also, Nu-Metal bands tend to have vocalists that 'scream'. This causes people to believe that it makes a band Metal. However, the use of harsh vocals alone also isn't enough to validate a band's acceptance into the Metal genre. Also, the vocals used in Nu-Metal is often 'shouting', rather than growling. Shouting, of course, is commonly used in Hardcore Punk, rather than Metal.

In my opinion, Nu-Metal takes far more influences from genres outside of Metal than actual Metal. Nu-Metal takes influences from alternative Rock, hip-hop, Funk and even Grunge. As far as its Metal influences are concerned, it's questionable. They draw influences from Groove Metal, or 'half-thrash', and Alternative Metal (also quite questionable as a valid Metal genre.)

As far as Slipknot is concerned, I see little difference between them and the stereotypical Nu-Metal band. Thus, I don't believe Slipknot is Metal.

More here.

ilberic
ilberic
858 posts
Jester

I haven't ever heard anything by Slipknot that I can even listen to. Stone Sour however would have been a tougher vote. In this case I'll easily take Five Finger Death Punch if for nothing else than their amazing rendition of Bad Company..

So my vote is Five Finger Death Punch

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Both bands are a little out of my liking range here, simply because I'm not a big fan of the heavy over-grunting of lyrics, but since Slipknot has only one song I like (Wait and Bleed) and I've voted for them enough in the past, I'll go for the new kid on my personal block! So Five Finger Death Punch gets my vote!! =D

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Five Finger Death Punch isn't as popular as SLIPKNOT! Also i know a lot of songs by Slipknot and they are really awesome! Not as much of death punch so... *drumroll XD*

My vote goes to SLIPKNOT!

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

I know Waluigi is really busy at the moment, so I'll pick up my shadow mod-job for a moment and make a score roundup for this battle! =)

Current 'BotB' battle :

4 - Slipknot
3 - Five Finger Death Punch

It's a close call!! =D

So far both bands are competing with all they got for the win in this battle!

State your votes and decide who's to win this one people! VOTE!!! =D

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

My vote goes to Five Finger Death Punch for the following reasons:
1) They have more songs that I like. Slipknot has about 3 songs that I find good, but the rest are too heavy. I like basically every 5FDP song.
2) 5FDP seems to have a broader musical range. Whilst Slipknot is essentially a nu-metal one trick pony(Snuff was their only attempt at going softer, and they didn't do too well), 5FDP has some great metal songs and some great songs that go a little bit lighter on the screaming, like Far From Home, for example.
3) It seems like Slipknot uses a lot of band members and techno song modifications, and while most of the Slipknot members are pretty talented, it seems to me that 5FDP has it right in this case...sometimes a little bit goes a long way.

So yeah, my vote is for Five Finger Death Punch for sure. If it had been Stone Sour vs Five Finger Death Punch, that would have been a much tougher choice.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Sorry about that. In all honesty, I just forgot about the thread update. I'll be more prompt with the next update (and probably throw my vote in at that point).

crazylencho99
crazylencho99
5 posts
Nomad

for sure 5fdp because they got more songs that i can understand ad can rock out to. not taking anything away from slipknot but they hey should be a little more melodic

GameWorldLeader
GameWorldLeader
76 posts
Nomad

5fdp because under and over it is one of the greatest songs of all time.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

And thus, Five Finger Death Punch overtakes Slipknot in just four posts! :O

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

[Sorry, forgot to add the 2 last votes there!]

I'll do another update, just so waluigi can state his own preference and vote for the band of his choice!

@ GameWorldLeader : Ooh... that's a reasoning as thin as paper! But I'll count it this time... make sure you add a more elaborated reasoning next time, ok?

So, with 3 more votes for Five Finger Death Punch, it's suddenly the world upsidedown for Slipknot! (O.o)

Will they recover?

Current 'BotB' battle :

4 - Slipknot
6 - Five Finger Death Punch

That's that for the score count, now on to waluigi for his vote...

*hands mic to waluigi*

Here you go, take it away! =D

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I don't like either. So, I am going to vote for the lesser of two evils, which is definitely Five Finger Death Punch. Some of their songs, e.g. White Knuckles, are not that bad.
Plus, I can't stand Slipknot.

DEADMAN5
DEADMAN5
2 posts
Nomad

Slipknot are way better than them, they have produced some great albums over the years and FFDP are lets just say...not that great :/

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

And now for Waluigi's long awaited vote.

I cast my vote for Slipknot, as I'm more familiar with them than FFDP. I'm not really into either of them, but the songs I have heard from Slipknot just sound a little bit better than FFDP. But of course, I'm not one to be asking as to which metal/nu-metal bands is better.

And thus the tally becomes:

Slipknot-5
FFDP-6

Showing 3691-3705 of 4274