ForumsWEPRNewspaper Idea.

138 14745
bretttrumpour
bretttrumpour
677 posts
Nomad

I was thinking of making a newspaper to cover all topics of world events and what not but i'll need people to help me cover each topic i'll post them and i'll need people to help so anyone interested post here or on my profile.

I'll need 1 or 2 per topic.
1.U.S-
2.World-
3.Politics-
4.Health-
5.Entertainment-
6.Tech-(Idk about this one)
7.Travel-
8.Sports-
9.Crime-
10.Science-

I will cover what ever topic noone takes.

• 138 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Ok wait if we make another account you guy's may gotta ask carlie its only suppost to be 1 account per person.

Since it's a group I don't think it really matters, as long as more than one person knows the password, and you don't post in the forums you'l be alright.
bretttrumpour
bretttrumpour
677 posts
Nomad

Since it's a group I don't think it really matters, as long as more than one person knows the password, and you don't post in the forums you'l be alright.

Sharing accounts isent aloud and i'm not risking that for nothing and plus I like the draft idea the best.
Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

Well decide what you want to do. I also suggest that you change the name. The current one is sort of confusing. I enjoy this community a lot because the members here are polite and active. I just don't like having topics that are too vague. Nobody seems to post in the vague topics but the same 3 or 4 people anyway.

The newspaper idea is good, but the whole community is set up like a newspaper already (well, as much as the one that is trying to be created here).

Plus, if you ask users who made quality up to date news threads, or if a user makes a quality thread and submits it to the paper, you must determine if you should put it in the about. Only accept high quality threads! If the person makes a thread and they have a weak OP, ditch it. This will add prestige.

Everyone who has a job working on a particular section could, instead of writing a new report all the time, find inturesting news in the forums and ask you if you would like it to be listed in the About. Then you can ask the person who made the thread if they would like to have their thread posted in the About.

Now my idea may not be fool proof, but it can become something that other people try to get their threads submitted too, rather than having a hired staff. This can also encourage better thread quality.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

Yea, hopefully though they'll make a newspaper forum some day that'd be nice.

That would be useful...but I doubt they'd make one just for us, lol.

Our main dilemma right now I guess is how to organize the threads. We can't have a thread for each subject (which would be ideal) but we can't have too many subjects in one thread.

What do you guys think of this idea. We use TSL3's grouping system, then have a time schedule as to when each person posts their article. It could be on a two week rotation, so no one is pressured to have their article ready too early, and people will get enough time for discussion on each article. Of course we'd all have to put a bit of thought into our articles to get a few days out of debate out of it, but that would keep the threads organized. The time schedule would be bold and easy to understand in the OP, so people won't get confused as to what's being discussed.
Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER TO HAVE DIFFERENT THREADS FOR DIFFERENT THINGS.

What in blazes do you think a forum is then?!
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

What do you guys think of this idea. We use TSL3's grouping system, then have a time schedule as to when each person posts their article.

I think it's great, well at least the best thing available to us right now, maybe we could break it down into 4-5 threads or make it only two but thats for latter.

Also I think each article should have at least one picture, if we do the rough draft I can help find them on a need be basis.

I can ask Carlie about a newspaper account if thats cool...?
Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

but we can't have too many subjects in one thread.

In fact you should have only one. That is my whole point.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

In fact you should have only one. That is my whole point.

Which won't happen. It can't happen. Every single thread would be deleted. Why? Because that's uber cluttering.
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Why? Because that's uber cluttering.

Now everyone starts worrying about clutter? That's never stopped members from making ridiculous threads before. Flite is right here. Think about it. Even newspapers have different sections that go where they belong. Just make a news paper section for each spot in the forum, and get over it.
Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

Which won't happen. It can't happen. Every single thread would be deleted. Why? Because that's uber cluttering.

How about you add threads that have already been created to the list instead of assigning postions? This would make the paper open to ALL members and not just a group. This will also allow you to use already existing sources. If you find an inturesting topic that would go great in the news, go ahead and make it and if it is high quality, it can also go in the paper.

I know everyone wants to be a part of this paper, which you can, but it can't happen without making uber stretched threads. If you don't want to use single topic threads, then you might as well ditch this idea all together.

There is a list of a bunch of positions on the OP of this thread. I say that that list gets thrown away. Then you remake abou 3 or 4 sub catagories in the about, and you look for threads that have already been made, or make a few yourselves.

You might have to make about 4 to 6 new threads for the paper, but some of those can go in the Pop Media. Every other article you add can be threads that were already created but not for the sole purpose of being in the paper.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

It's uber cluttering because it's 14 threads in a matter of minutes. All go bye-bye. And no, we're not getting over it.

A newspaper is written by a dedicated group for the masses.
Not written by the masses for the masses.
That's called the internet.
So we create a newspaper on the internet.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Unless a news forum magically appears the only feasible amount of threads is 4 MAYBE 5

TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Or three, using my idea. There's room for improvement on it though.

Green12324
Green12324
4,097 posts
Peasant

What did you guys think of my time table idea?

Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

If you combine threads, they become off topic. They would also get locked. And I know that a Newspaper is written by a fixed number of people. This does not have to work EXACTLY like a newspaper.

It can become something new, something better, something different, something inspiring! Change is inevitable. I am a writer. One thing I have learned is that when you have a paragraph you love so bad, you may have to throw it away to make something better. You may want this to be a newspaper with a set staff, but you might have to change that for the good of the forums.

Showing 106-120 of 138