The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072529
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Getting it in in the nick of time

Deep in the realm of
sleep, visions project themselves
sweet dreams of times past

It was worth a shot.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

They keep me locked up
I saw what others could not
But now, only walls

Haikus are harder than I thought, having trouble getting my message through using so few words :P

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

actually I think they are easier

Oh, they're easy to throw together, but if you want to have some sort of meaning in them, and make it sound good and, more importantly, sane, you'll find that it's quite hard to limit them to the amount of syllables that are allowed.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

This life, I hate it.
Take me away, forever,
Into the nihil.

RayOfLight
RayOfLight
223 posts
Blacksmith

Her eyne view the bough.
The bleak limb tempts her with death,
The highest lament.

BlackSkullDragon
BlackSkullDragon
161 posts
Peasant

@GhostOfMatrix and RayOfLight
The deadline for the entries was the 27th so I'm not sure if Frank will take your haikus into consideration. He might because ha hasn't posted the judging yet but I just wanted to let you know so you won't be dissapointed if your entries aren't judged.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Sorry about not submitting the ranked winners guys! Yesterday was just horrible. I had to stay in bed for most of the time, which is also kinda why my activity for the day was horrible as well.

Sorry you two, I can't accept those. Maybe after I submit the winners I can request that the mod add the deadline date as well. A short 2/12/11 should be short enough.

This evening, 6:30PM EST I promise!

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

[quote=iMogwai]They keep me locked up
I saw what others could not
But now, only walls[/quote]

As soon as I saw this I knew I couldn't come up with a better one.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Now I know I said 6:30 EST, but I feel that since I was already late I could be a little more early than that, right?

SO, let's get this belated party started!

Wood Award - Jaza_M

The shadows of doubt,
Cloud himself and his vision.
What was he to do?

Contemplation is a big part of Psychological Occurrences, the theme of last week's haiku. Depending on your cognitive processes, you could reach various different conclusions. Metaphorically, doubt cast shadows over this guy's mind, clouding what he once knew or clouding what he should know. It's powerful imagery, indeed! That break before the second verse wasn't too healthy, I'm afraid. I felt that it would have been much nicer if it all flowed into one phrase, both poetically and grammatically.

Iron Award -- Jezz

Knew you would say that.
Saw this scene, sleeping, before...
Am I on replay?

De-ja Vu, right? Freakenstein smells confusion within this haiku, which does well for the type Jess went for. At least I thought so. For all I know, she might not be doing a De-ja Vu themed psychological haiku at all! I love the second verse! You broke up the words well so that it made sense.

Gold Award (merit winner) -- Waluigi

Deep in the realm of
sleep, visions project themselves
sweet dreams of times past

Very well done! I don't know really what to say about this one actually...But I have to--judging, lateness, sickness and all that.... It paints such a great picture in my mind, no pun intended, about a guy, tired from the day's exhaustion, that goes to rest and becomes enveloped in his wishes and wants. Times past? Usually I dream of the above (wants and wishes). Did you do this on purpose? Making me want to know the back-story to his past? Hmm? It is presented so calm, inviting, and peaceful...

Medal, presented
to him for a week; he stands
on top of the world.

And with that, congratulations to Waluigi! Be sure to message a moderator for your merit winning!

Theme: Yin/Yang (page 281)

Deadline: 2/11/11

Judging: 2/12/11

^^^Whomever renames the thread, can you include the deadline of this week's haiku inside this time please? Thank you!^^^

So let's take a look at this. This haiku's theme is Yin/Yang. Good and evil, right? You can make a haiku about pure good and pure evil, or you can make a haiku that involves both at once. Make sure to provide it with substance!

~~Happy haikuing!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Deadline is supposed to be 2/3/11 and Judging on 2/4/11.

That above is two weeks long! We can't have that... Sorry for the mistake! This post has the correct dates.

^^"

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Congratulations Waluigi!

Awesome theme as well. Ill work on something soon.

waluigi
waluigi
1,946 posts
Shepherd

Yeah! Another win. . I should still think of something for this theme. I'll get to work.

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

together in zen
harmonious relation
yin and yang within.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Forever partners