The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072488
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

So that's where you disappeared to... and here I was thinking you quite on us. Frank's the new judge, and welcome back!

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

So that's where you disappeared to... and here I was thinking you quite on us. Frank's the new judge, and welcome back!

I couldn't live without you guys...That sounded strange right? Oh well...

Yeah, one of my cats gambled his life by throwing a glass chock-full of water on my laptop; good thing I had a guarantee! AFter quite a good while my brand new - same old model - laptop is here and I can be part of the Ag communitiy again!

Why am I not surprised that Frank is the judge ^^. HE'S the reliable one.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Oi! What's that supposed to mean? >.>

Should I feel insulted?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

This is kinda buried in page 3, so just a reminder! Last day to cast entrees! I'll start cracking on the judging right away. By the way, after this theme, you can expect what the next theme will be quite easily.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

The water damage was your fault to the laptop, if you can get a warrantee that covers you damage it you're lucky XD

By the way, after this theme, you can expect what the next theme will be quite easily.

Purple
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

Should I feel insulted?

I meant between me and him ^^.

The water damage was your fault to the laptop, if you can get a warrantee that covers you damage it you're lucky XD

Well, a 300 bucks warranty...

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Most warranties cover accidental damage, i.e. glass of water spilling on the laptop, however they do tend to cost quite a bit more.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Aaaaaalriiighty audience, tiiiiiime. Toooo. Juuuuuuuuuuuudge!

We had a decent amount of entries, though I hoped for even more, since the deadline was a week longer than usual periods. 2 weeks! I (tried to) fixed the deadline at the post after my last judging, but I guess whomever renamed the thread didn't catch that so....blame me for my careless mistake! XD

SO. Let's get things started.

Wood Award -- HahiHa

When night turns to day,
Dire darkness, blinding light;
Blessed twilight hour.

Very odd, yet special haiku concerning Morrowind's Azura! For those that don't know, Azura is the daedric prince(ess?) of twilight, and her ruling hours are Dawn and Dusk. We commonly associate Yin and Yang like light and dark, so Azura's theme fits snugly in here. I'm very iffy about the transition to the second verse, however. It just doesn't fit. You are describing the forces of light and darkness converging into one being, yet it doesn't merge well. However, the transition to the third verse seems fine. It is the cause (second line) to effect (third line) that makes the latter of the haiku strong in form. There was a small hiccup inside, but the rest was very satisfying.

Iron Award -- Endscape

together in zen
harmonious relation
yin and yang within.

Endscape is on the list for establishing the concepts of Yin and Yang--how they work together to achieve a stable neutrality so that nothing is too biased in one area. It is a great contribution to the theme, for it is one of half the haiku that actually erm.....relates to it. With this haiku, it describes that, with Yin and Yang together, you achieve the ultimate neutrality, and everything is in balance. When I fed this haiku through my mind over and over again, I kept thinking that these lines feel independent, yet I knew they worked together--they are dependent of each other. It had to have been because of the pausing in-between the verses. However, the structure is well-put together. Nothing seems out of place. Well done!

Gold Award (Merit winner) -- Kyouzou

Peace, Virtue, and Love
Residing in harmony
Anger, Hate, and War

With the power of light, there must always be the power of darkness. In order to know happiness, we must know evil. Kyouzou wins this award, because this haiku had a special flame in that the form was unique to the rest of the entries. Kyouzou listed some perspectives of each side of the alignment, like each were a specific essence of Yin and Yang. Where peace, virtue, and love fuels Light, Anger, Hate, and War fuels Darkness. Look closely: Light is on one side, and Darkness on the other. When they combine.... "residing in harmony"...Ultimate neutrality and balance in the middle! It was a very clever way of setting up the haiku, and it worked successfully. I thoroughly enjoyed this one--congratulations!

Honorable Mention -- KingLemon

Forever partners
obverse of each others coin
deciding our fates

I imagined Yin and Yang like a clock with one hand. As the hand turned toward the other side, the universe became lighter or darker. KingLemon described Ying and Yang like pure, raw opposites of each other as the prime counterpart. Light and Darkness spins around like a clock deciding the fates of those making decisions to provide more positive or negative alignment. An endless cycle, always judging, based on what the balance is, what state the world is in. The clock, once it is wound up again, turns once again, once the deciding fates called for more light. When the world calls for more light, the actions occurred make the clock turn in that direction and the clock is on the upper half. Maaaybe I am just rambling off. It gave me nice scenery, so that's probably what did it!

"Our" is two syllables, you ninny! That was such a great haiku that it would have been ranked, yet it did not fit the prerequisites of a haiku! Aww....

At any rate, congratulations Kyouzou! Go contact a mod (not Cenere!!) for your winning!

Now, for the next theme:

Theme -- Heart (page 284)
Entries Closed -- 2/17/11
Judging Begins -- 2/18/11

To get ready for the super special Valentine's Day, you are to create a haiku about Heart. Is there someone's heart you want, or is there someone you want to submit that has a lot of heart? Do you wish to describe Passion? Or do you wish to describe Piety? It is your choice this week folks!

And as they always say: Happy Haikuin'!

Endscape
Endscape
1,182 posts
Nomad

yayyy 2nd place isnt bad... FOR THAT GIRL..

within me it stays
but it belongs to u for
the rest of my days.

happy valentines.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Cool I won, I wasn't expecting many people to catch on to the set up, kudos Frank.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Yeah, that second line, knew it wasn't the thing.. but hey, I placed, yay.

Great, valentine's day -.- well why not give it a try

Hearts I've been offered
Hearts I wounded with disdain
Didn't match my chest's hole

I assumed 'didn't' could be spoken in one vowel and 'offered' in two, if that's absolutely not the case, tell me please!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Didn't is officially 2 syllables, HahiHa. Might need to try something else or change the haiku altogether :/

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Right, I suspected it wouldn't work.. but I may have the solution

Hearts I've been offered
Hearts I wounded with disdain
Can't match my chest's hole

Now it seems to work.. thanks for the notice.

The last part isn't necessarily meant to show a lack of heart, just symbolize the search for the one that matches, your sister soul so-to-speak, or in that haiku the complementary heart that would complete you and fill the hole.
..or sumfing like that..

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

"Our" is two syllables, you ninny! That was such a great haiku that it would have been ranked, yet it did not fit the prerequisites of a haiku! Aww....

Actually it's only one syllable. Just sayin'....

If anyone needs to figure it out, feel free to consult your nearest dictionary or thesaurus, or use this website.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Actually it's only one syllable. Just sayin'....

Walker, Dictionary.com states otherwise..... And then there's Merriam-Webster that also concludes it is 2 syllables. Maybe there are just preferences. It *is* an unstressed syllable that can make people confused. I try to use multiple sites like the two I provided, but those two are generally correct, since they are official.
Showing 2731-2745 of 5299