The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3072519
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Frank, I have a question.

Are you observing any cross-cultural conversions of grammatical traditions when judging these haiku? Form, structure?

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Are you observing any cross-cultural conversions of grammatical traditions when judging these haiku?

Theme: Yin-yang
Evidently not.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

When night turns to day,
Dire darkness, blinding light;
Blessed twilight hour.

Hail Azura, Queen of Dawn and Dusk ^^
I just tried to get away from the typical good/evil schemata associated with the Yin Yang, and stress the gray area between both, rather than the white dot in the black half and vice versa. Hope it is still admissible.
..'blessed' is one syllable, right?

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Darkness can not die
Because when a light is cast
A shadow is too

gocanada01
gocanada01
2 posts
Nomad

The birds are chirping
and the cows are grazing
A great day in Greece

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Are you observing any cross-cultural conversions of grammatical traditions when judging these haiku? Form, structure?

Ultimately, I check first to see how the haiku are set up. It's a given to know that it's 5/7/5 for a proper set up. Form is important in the aspect that you are trying to convey to the judge what your haiku is about in a specific setting of your choice. Throughout participation, I've seen a few that were really struggling with how to present their entree. It's gotten a bit better over the months though. I've looked at some and felt like things would have been better if things were interchanged, different versions of words used to better agree with the rest of the line, all that good stuff! A second core area would be if the haiku are connected well or if they are broken up in the right areas, using commas, semi-colons, or what-not. Is the haiku supposed to be smooth-sailing, or does it feel like breaking parts up with punctuation would be best? A haiku is very limited in terms of text, so I give major points for those who can project their entree well by using various literary elements, such as imagery, alliteration, etc. Anyone can set up a haiku and make it fit the theme, but it takes skill to be creative with it!
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

..'blessed' is one syllable, right?

when i say "blessed" i pronounce it with 1 syllable
but when i read it i pronounce it with 2 "bless-ed"

so it could be both
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

See, blessed can be clearly pronounced with two, or pronounced with one. What about words like turned or owned? Are they one or two?

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

lol, what a messy language XD In my language 1 vowel = 1 syllable in 90% of the cases!

BuzzardsNest
BuzzardsNest
2 posts
Nomad

a perfect discord
harmony is found inside
sharp cacophony

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

It's raining. Trees are falling down. Cricket training is cancelled D: also there's 1 guy dead and 2 people missing but CRICKET TRAINING D:

Raining at the beach
Glorious summer ruined
Clear skies, gloomy school.

AESOUAHFWOAUWHRUOHF story of my holidays

Kerrbonkkk
Kerrbonkkk
21 posts
Nomad

K here is my original Haiku

My name is Bob
Yin and yang are very funny words
I like to eat cheese

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Peace, Virtue, and Love
Residing in harmony
Anger, Hate, and War

jacksonghuntington
jacksonghuntington
347 posts
Nomad

Ok think peaceful thoughts Jackson! Im new to this section but Ill wing it! here i go.

Harmony in check
Soothing sounds of the ocean.
All is fine for now.

=) Thanks if your reading this!!!

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

So who's the new marty...huh...judge!

I'm very, very happy to be back on Ag, and couldn't have done so without dropping by my good old contest. After weeks of waiting for my new laptop to be shipped to me, I'm glad to inform everyone that I'm back and at it again. I know I've been away for quite a while, without even giving any news - how rude can I be!? - but now I'm well, in health and totally able to claim back my judging duties again. Of course, I've been away for so long now that I expect my authority has just waned away so I'll just leave the judge in place decide whether he's tired enough of this strenuous job to quit or not. If not, I'll gladly wait until he is done and want to pass the torch.

No pressure intended of course, I guess I'm just engrossed in the enthusiasm of coming back ^^. Anyways, it's not like I expect the person in charge to just let me take back my post after being away for so long .

So, how've you all been fellows?

Showing 2716-2730 of 5299