ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHaiku Contest - Broken Bond (page 531, due: Feb 2)

5299 3068841
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

A Haiku is a Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.

Well, that said, heres the rules:

1) The Haiku must be original (no plagarizing)!
2) It must fit the weeks theme
3) It must be submitted before the deadline
4) It must be submitted for the contest (no using works previously written)
5) One Submission per user
6) The Same User cannot win twice in a row (but there welcome to submit!)

Hopefully oneday the winner could get a merit...

The Deadline will always be a Wednsday, so the deadline for the first theme will be Wednsday, September 2. The theme is The Pond

(special thanks to 'thisisnotanalt'

• 5,299 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

dudeguy* has issues
With a short attention span
And narcolepsy.

It's not his fault, guys;
Just be forgiving and stuff;
It will all work out.

Always keep in mind
That patience is a virtue,
And show some restraint.

*dudeguy can be substituted for acmed depending on who decides to judge this round

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure where dudeguy is....

If he doesn't do it today, I'll judge this round tomorrow.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'd expect you to have done this already. There should really only be a 2 day delay at the most, and by also being a poetry judge, the responsibility should fall on your shoulders after a certain period of time.

I sent dudeguy a comment days ago, but he ever responded. There's obviously something going on.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I'd expect you to have done this already. There should really only be a 2 day delay at the most, and by also being a poetry judge, the responsibility should fall on your shoulders after a certain period of time.

They just require order. If Dudeguy is going to be late or can't do it, he should tell us, to avoid complaints and we'll know he's still around. And if he can't, Acmed would know about it and judge. This contest could use some more judges though, something like how the periodic poetry contest is doing; alternate judges every round or two with three-four people, but I don't think anybody would be willing to volunteer here.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

but I don't think anybody would be willing to volunteer here.

Killersup has judged peotry before......If it comes down to it can Killersup atleast get a chance.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

but I don't think anybody would be willing to volunteer here.

Heck, I'd do it. I'm on for about an hour or two every day and will be for at least a few more weeks. I'm pretty darn fair and honest about stuff.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Yeah, I'd like to see Palpatine judge. He seems to be consistent with posting haikus and has been around for a while.

kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

i thought acmed aid he would

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

He said sometime today. Today isn't over yet.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

i thought acmed aid he would

He should have it up soon, my post was referring to future rounds.
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Wow, uh, dudeguy seemed to have disappeared to Oblivion. I'll get up the results today. Tonight most likely.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Hey.

It's acmed.

Dudeguy is not here right now.

So I will judge.

Yeah.

So, uh, Message in a Bottle huh? Cool. Cool.

So, uh, let's judge. See who wins.

The RMS Titanic Fanatic award: wolf1991

Waves and wind carry
Messages to unknown shores
About a man's dream.

The first line is really catchy and starts off good, and the second one really brings the poof into the poem. I like that, way to use the wording. The last line is confusing though. A man's dream? I'm not understanding why a man with a dream write it in a bottle. Just a bit confused, but all in all, nice poem.

The Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band Award: CheapCheep

My pencil and I
Get working on this letter
And send it ashore

You acted as if the pencil was a person, which was good. I like the change in that. Though the last two lines don't match up right. "Get working on this letter and send it ashore". It should be sending ashore. I know you'd be out of syllables, but it sounds really awkward out loud. Could of done better, so better luck next time.

The So little to say but so much to tell award: daleks

A message floating
It tells me a long story
Of a bottled trip

The theme you put INTO the theme, was Journey. It was a great one to choose, because this one got me. The wording was a little dull, but you made up for it in story. Good job dal!

The Returning Comic Award: lC4l

Found a strange message
That was inside a bottle
It said, "Drink me, jerk."

This was some game of the year poetry right here. I hope you understood my sarcasm. I'm gonna try to make this critic serious... Never mind I can't. This was a funny one I guess, but poor. Sorry.

The Dictionary Man Award: Salvidian

Carried by kingship
The bounty of bewitchment
Communication

Wow. I loved this one. Great job using vocabulary and a better job with the flow of it. Kingship and bewitchment go together so well, and the rhythm was spot on. Great job!

The, You aren't getting a third win in a row GoM don't even bother entering, Award: GhostofMatrix

Cast through shining seas,
letters to a past lover.
Rekindled amor.

This was a great poem put together. All the lines were well written and I liked the consistency. I can't give you a third win Ghost. Sorry. But, there was nothing wrong with this one, the winner was just a biiiiiiiit better...

SALVIDIAN!

HORRAH! Sal wins, and what a triumph. His poem was off the hook. Him and Ghost were pretty close, but either way, Ghost can't win 3 times in a row anyways. But good job to everyone!

So, uh, if I can get dudeguy to talk, he'll judge the next round. Which will be.... The Bequeathed Hero, due on the 19th.

Happy haikuing guys! Let's bring back our glory!

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Wait, 7 participants? Ummm... I don't know how to feel about that... Was it fair enough?

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

Just so you know acmed, kingship and bewitchment don't rhyme. They do fit well togeter though.

Haha. I couldn't believe that you liked my haiku, or was at least nice enough to say something good about. My goal was to take the meaning as literally as possible and come up with a haiku as quickly as possible.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Wait, 7 participants?

8 by my count. I think you skipped mine. Darn it.

page461:

Sent by sea to shore,
Resisting the salty spray,
My salvation sails.
Showing 4411-4425 of 5299