ForumsThe TavernSwords

140 28776
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

This is like the Favorite Gun thread only with swords!
What is you favorite sword?
You can also have discussions (obviously) as this thread grows.
You can talk about anything related to swords!

• 140 Replies
hynjie
hynjie
260 posts
Nomad

my favorite sword... hmmm... oh! energy sword from halo 3! XD

Aaliyah928
Aaliyah928
252 posts
Nomad

Keyblade! lol, I don't get how that is a weapon, unless you thwock somebody on the head until they pass out, Keyblade is from Kingdom Hearts. I don't understand it, but it is a cool weapon.

Archerknight
Archerknight
17 posts
Nomad

A hilt less Japanese katana yeah its beautiful

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Falcatas are also very neat swords.. a falcata has the edge of a sword but due to it's blade shape it has the momentum of an axe. I recommend reading this article, especially the 'Quality and manufacture' section for infos how they used to harden the blade, it's very interesting.

tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

A 5kg long sword with that shoot darts and produses swords from hidden places.

PurpleSquishy
PurpleSquishy
150 posts
Shepherd

It does depend on the the situation in which you are using one and each does have some appeal but a broadsword is a very useful tool. Of course for mass damage rely on the Flamberge.

Spirytysta
Spirytysta
94 posts
Scribe

My athame.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Rapiers look fancy:

http://www.nitroplus.co.jp/pc/ranking/gunimage/rapier.jpg

I like the hilt, but I'm not sure of the quality of the weapon itself...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I like the hilt, but I'm not sure of the quality of the weapon itself...

The quality lies in it's speed and in it's pointy edge. Rapiers were most often worn by cilivists in the streets, so no armour. The fights were pretty quick because a single good landed stab could leave a deep wound with internal damages that could easily disable or even kill the opponent.
..Yup, I like rapiers too
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Rapiers were great as long as your opponent was using a rapier as well, and had less skill than you in it's usage. However when facing an opponent with a bladed weapon they were distinctly lacking.

Uproar
Uproar
333 posts
Nomad

I have a Chinese Short Sword. No not a dagger, it's too long. Not sure on the make, but you can get them at all the shops in Cyprus, it cost about 100, wooden sleeve and metal dragon patterns embroided in the sleeve and a metal dragon guard.

I would want more, but one is unsafe enough around kids and animals.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Yes, but rapiers often were used together with a small shield or a dagger with long guard in the other hand, with which you could parry other rapier's strikes.. if your opponent had a bladed weapon but no shield you might even have a chance, cause you can attack immediately after a succesful parry (which might be hard, admittedly). If your opponent had also a shield however, well, that's just bad luck.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

And that is why they were rarely, if ever, seen in military application. Typically when I look to what weapons are the best I look to see which were the most prominently used in the militaries of the time, and how long these weapons saw service. This is the most accurate representation of the effectiveness, versatility, and lethality of a weapon.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Oh well, if you look at it like that, then the rapier isn't the best choice..I'll stick to the falcata then they proved to be very effectice, since even the roman adapted their gladius to the falcata (go celts!)

benman113
benman113
329 posts
Peasant

Quel' delar 912 gear score

Showing 106-120 of 140