ForumsThe TavernSwords

140 28775
escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

This is like the Favorite Gun thread only with swords!
What is you favorite sword?
You can also have discussions (obviously) as this thread grows.
You can talk about anything related to swords!

• 140 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I was going to take a toy plastic sword and go to war with it...

What do you guys think about medieval weaponry?
I, personally, liked bows the best.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Bows were a very good weapon, however theres always those few seconds you're open when trying to reload, and if your string is cut, you're screwed. My personal hand held favorite was the halberd, overall it would be the ballista.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

There's a strategy called a shield wall, where archers hide behind a group of soldiers wielding shields in a wall formation, so archers are not that vulnerable.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

There's a strategy called a shield wall,

Calvary charge, while the archers are reloading. Personally I think small groups of archers should've been left as a distraction, while the main body surrounded the battlefield and acted as snipers. During the intial charge, after that you have to be careful not to hit your own people.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

There's a strategy called a shield wall, where archers hide behind a group of soldiers wielding shields in a wall formation, so archers are not that vulnerable.

Actually called phalanx, if you mean what I think...

Shield walls are vulnerable to mobile units, usually cavalry, as well as powerful units such as crossbow bolts.

In the end, a swordsman beats an archer. The heavy armor reflects most arrows and swordsmen just own the enemy when they get close enough.

If we are speaking of in army favorite medieval weapon, I choose the pike simply for being able to defend as well as advancing. Using a standard pike man strategy, even the archery witch you enjoy becomes more effective as pike men try to stay in formation making your enemies obvious.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Actually called phalanx, if you mean what I think...
not exactly a phalanx is the shield part ( can also be in a triangle ) while archers would be more of an auxilary to enhance the effectiveness of the phalanx & make them less vulnerable

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

Japanese katana

Best sword ever.

Bayonets aren't really swords so can't say that so I'd have to go with the Japanese Katana also.

Why? It's a very sharp sword and if you have one , no one would want to mess with you.
Shoestring
Shoestring
152 posts
Nomad

If real! I would go with the katana!
If not........ hmm.... I always loved the swords in Prince Of persia!

roxasthenobody
roxasthenobody
355 posts
Nomad

Masamune or Buster Sword every time

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Man, this page is full of Katanas Are Just Better.

Anyway, if i'm using a Japanese blade I like Tantos and for European blades I like Rapiers.

Trzcina
Trzcina
15 posts
Nomad

I... for some reason do have a soft spot for a szabla. Hussar szabla, mainly, which is really only all that good on horseback, but hey. I like them.

Though to be honest... I like most European swords. I've never had so much interest in the Asian ones, for some reason, but they're also cool.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Who invented the name rapier and why is it called that...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Rapier comes from French rapière, which in turn comes from the Spanish espada ropera, meaning sword of the robes

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

Sword fights on horseback are awesome!
But they don't have many duels like that on television...

brandol
brandol
49 posts
Peasant

swords are very cool, in real life I know how to use one, very powerfull O.O (LoL)

Showing 91-105 of 140