ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4717959
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't buy it, but I would go to play and trade and stay there all day and play it to see if it was good

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

Yeah good idea but I doubt they would but maybe...

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

The main problem I'm seeing with a new Oregon Trail RPG is transportation speed. Games like GTA are fun because traveling is fun: high speed car chases, speeding through traffic, running over pedestrians... good times.

But a covered wagon is much, much slower. Especially the ones pulled by oxen, which were about as fast as walking (they averaged around ten miles per day).

Other games, such as Fallout 3, have successfully implemented slow speed transportation. But in most of these games, there is an option for instant (real time) travel. Furthermore, these maps are nowhere near as large as the Oregon trail.

Instant travel in the Oregon trail would kind of defeat the purpose. But could you imagine actually having to drive a wagon the whole way? Boring...

Besides having a ridiculously fast wagon, is there some other way around this I'm not seeing?

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Graphics don't matter that much, as long as the gameplay is great, it's a very enjoyable game. Unless, of course, it's a sports game. Sports game graphics have to be state-of-the-art, because they have to look like you're watching it on television.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I hope they make surviving out on in the country, traveling along with a wagon, fun. Of course you can't have such ridiculously fast movement and we're talking about the 1800s here. You can't expect too much action.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I'm gonna be honest and say that Helicopter was one of the best games ever. And Snake. Who cares about graphics when it's that addicting?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Helicopter?

Eh, I've not heard of that if that is a game. All I get from Google are helicopter themed flash games.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Of course you can't have such ridiculously fast movement and we're talking about the 1800s here. You can't expect too much action.

You can form wagon trains, patrol the trail on horseback, guard from raids, attack indian camps you stumble on, hunt for food, all sorts of stuff. Seriously, there is a lot of potential for it if done right. Red Dead Redemption actually changed my opinion on western themed games which is what makes me think a remake of O.T. could be a success.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Red Dead Redemption actually changed my opinion on western themed games which is what makes me think a remake of O.T. could be a success.

agreed. it would also be nice to have a customizable family or wagon members, make it somewhat like an rpg, but not too complex to scare away a lot of buyers.it would also be nice to have to start at the bottom and work your way up to train leader or whatever.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

If so, that will be one heck of a voyage.

Shouldn't there be more places and stuff, like in Oregon Trail II?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I don't think you get just how slow wagon trains were. I mean, they went around 2 mph. That is very, very slow. Not even close to the horse back speed of Red Dead, and still lagging far behind human running speed.

If you keep a realistic speed, and don't scale down the trail, we're talking six months of playing time. To get it down to a normal game length (12 hours), you would need to cut out 99.7% of the trail.

Really, can you even imagine how boring it would to travel for even three minutes in a video game at two mph?

The strategy aspects could be amazing, as could hunting, fighting, bartering, etc. But the actual traveling would be excruciating.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I don't think you should be traveling in real time here.

That won't work. You'll have to find a way of working around traveling, even if that includes scaling things down.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

now that we talk about this, it doesnt seem to have ENOUGH content for a full-scale realistic video game.... could be a downloadable like on steam and be downloadable for xbox and ps3... just doesnt seem like enough to lay down $ 60 for....

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

But... The entire point of the Oregon trail is that it was very long...

I mean, if we're going to scale it down, why even bother with the trail at all? Why not just have the game take place in one town?

If you keep a reasonable playing time and a reasonable wagon speed, you're only going to travel around 24 miles. So you might as well just not travel the trail at all.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

it is just hard to copy such a good game like that and make it more in depth....

it would be somewhat nice to have maybe a western game about the indian wars? two split campaigns by a good developer, maybe an online, now THAT would be pretty awesome if done right.

Showing 1726-1740 of 9738