ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4718036
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

But... The entire point of the Oregon trail is that it was very long...

I mean, if we're going to scale it down, why even bother with the trail at all? Why not just have the game take place in one town?

If you keep a reasonable playing time and a reasonable wagon speed, you're only going to travel around 24 miles. So you might as well just not travel the trail at all.

That won't be Oregon Trail any more.

I'm sure there's a way this can be done, whatever it is.

Now, has anyone ever played Oregon Trail II here?
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

A realistic version of the Oregon Trail... that'd be one for the most diehard of diehard fans.

Of course I can see more appeal in something like that (as long as you could save), than other real-time life simulations like, say, Second Life. At least I'd be pretending to live from a completely bygone era rather than trying to live a life I don't have merely because I'm spending it in front of the computer.

Anybody heard of "Tales Of Middle Earth"? Now that's frustrating.

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

not nearly as frustrating as most rogue-likes. most of them dieing = perma death, or massive pentalities that gets you killed even faster then before. right now, i found a rogue like that makes me lose about 30ish% of the money i have on me plus some random items i have, and thats still mild compared to some other games.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

^eh what? me no understand...

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

I just got 33333 points in Tetris.

I R TTLY ASUM.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Dungeon crawling roguelike games.

I never was into those, so I can't say much.

@Strop

I agree.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Of course I can see more appeal in something like that (as long as you could save), than other real-time life simulations like, say, Second Life. At least I'd be pretending to live from a completely bygone era rather than trying to live a life I don't have merely because I'm spending it in front of the computer.

Whoa... There's an idea. Instead of having it be a console rpg ,have it be a mmorpg. Keep the slow wagon speed and the scale of the trail.

Instead of leveling up from experiance, your rank would be determined by your progress along the trail. Speed wouldn't be an issue, because you would be able to intereact with other players along the whole way, getting in duels, trading, etc.

After players completed the trail (maybe three-five months), they could restart from the begining, but with a higher rank. They would be able to act as guides, or take advantage of other player's newbiness for profit.

It would follow the basic mmorpg format, but instead of a bunch of little quests, you would have one gigantic (but dynamic) quest.
alexstargazer
alexstargazer
347 posts
Nomad

That sounds like a cool idea, but at the same time, a bunch of people nowadays would consider it more boring than fun.

Most teens who play games, would rather have more of an open world to explore in, rather than be stuck on one trail the whole way.

So it would depend on what audience the game is aiming for. The teenage gaming community, or older. It would all depend on which group of people would appreciate the game for what it is, and not complain that it has no open world.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

This has gone, way, way, way out of the [b][i][b]REAL[/b][/i][/b] topic.

samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,550 posts
Peasant

This has gone, way, way, way out of the [b]REAL[/b] topic.

Lol, fail. What did you do three bolds? Haha.

But yes, this has gone way off the topic, because frankly the first topic was resolved, I think, and then we threadjacked it.
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

hehe, threadjacking, such a crime

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

That sounds like a cool idea, but at the same time, a bunch of people nowadays would consider it more boring than fun.

Oregon Trail's fun, it is.

The original topic was abysmal and lacking compared to what Strop did to this thread. We must thank him because we now have a broad conversation thread.
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Oregon Trail lwas fun though I've only played the demo.

CenationAA
CenationAA
29 posts
Nomad

What is Orgean Trail it sounds like a farming game

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It is an education computer game designed to teach kids about the realities of pioneer life in the 1800s, who all traveled to the West and stuff.

There are quite a number of versions of the game.

The reason why it's nostalgic to people is because it was popular in North American schools in the 80s and 90s.

I forgot where I first saw the game...

Showing 1741-1755 of 9738