ForumsThe TavernThis Thread is Currently about: Dogs

9738 4721513
Saving123
Saving123
1,258 posts
Nomad

Well I guess the title says it all, I was just wondering who ya'll thought were the most active 'forumers' in this part of the AG forum. Opinions, that what this Forum is going to be, pure opinions, and yes you can say 'Me'.

• 9,738 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

McCain did pretty well in the 08 election, but I don't think people are going to vote for him if he runs next time.

Nah, I would bet that Palin and the Tea Party nutter against masturbation will be the Republican's nomination in '12. Christine O'Donnell.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I would do better than Sarah Palin in a presidential election.

If she even ran for governor of any other state, George Bush or myself would probably have a better chance against her. :P

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I would do better than Sarah Palin in a presidential election.

Not after this election, basically the republicans take control and whether they do anything or not the cyclic nature of capitalism makes it look like they made the economy recover. Palin is the poster child for the Republicans, but god, if she get's elected our country is so far beyond ****ed.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

How could you possibly trust a woman who abandoned her post halfway through the term to run the entire country?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I think people are smart enough to know not to elect her. If Billy Bob Cleetus is watching TV on the front porch, and Palin comes on, he will wonder why his fellow republicans are electing someone so dimwitted.

Then he'll go listen to Jeff Foxworthy on the radio while taking a nice, warm bath.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Then he'll go listen to Jeff Foxworthy on the radio while taking a nice, warm bath.

Hey, that sounds fantastic. Seriously it does he's a funny man although a bit, erm, hick.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the average voter.
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I kind of find it weird that Americans elect their president and representatives (?... here we call them members of parliament) separately.

Imagine having an all Republican house and a Democratic president... :/

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

@shay if you're referring to the day we elect them it's because we have elections every year (actually twice I believe although today is the major one) and all the members of the house and senate alternate years in which they were elected meaning we generally vote for a new member every year.

And that's basically what's happening.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I see. My knowledge of American politics is quite limited (clearly).

So Senate members are elected? Here they are not. Our prime minister pushed for it to become elected during his campaign, but it never happened (what's new?)

So what would be the difference between the House and the Senate, then?

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the average voter.

i think everyone does

Imagine having an all Republican house and a Democratic president... :/

thats nearly impossible. the house has what? 400 something members, more than that, and the terms are set up so there isn't a whole new set of reps. so leave, while some stay each year.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

In general, nothing really. Senators are considered "the upper house", as they have longer terms and a lot of hush-hush perks. They both have the same voting power, but Senators are often looked as higher in power, when they really aren't. You most often see Senators on t.v. discussing topics and running for office, rather than Representatives.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

If I remember correctly (mind theres a good chance I dont) the house is suppose to reflect the thoughts of smaller amounts of citizens as the amount of seats a state has in the house is based off of the amount of citizens in that state where they are voted for in individual districts. The senate on the other hand is comprised of two representatives from each state and therefore represents the state as a whole. The goal of the two was to allow for equal representation of states (the senate) and representation of the individual citizens (the house).
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Interesting.

Here we have the House of Commons and Senate as well. We vote for our House representatives, and the Senators are chosen by the prime minister.

Once laws are passed in the House of Commons, they go to the Senate to be voted on. The senators usually pass it, because it is frowned upon to vote against since they are not elected.

Oh, and senators can stay until they are 70, IIRC. And the number of senators for each province is not based on population, so it's basically randomly selected by the prime minister. Woo favoritism!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

Yeah, our Congress is a bicameral legislature. One is based on population, which is the House, and the other is based on equal representation, which is the Senate. You get two senators for each state, which equals 100 in total. The population determines how many representatives you get in each state. I believe they capped the total number of representatives at 412.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Hey, speaking of stupidity...

The topic got very boring, so I decided to play with a built-in community search and I found that. ^

Showing 3571-3585 of 9738