ForumsThe TavernShould Homework be banned?

275 48141
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think Homework should be banned because we are home to enjoy time away from school and us students don't want to drag our school work home.

My parents don't like the idea of homework because they think that when students get home they should be able to relax not do more school work.

Do the users of AG agree that Homework should be banned??

I sure do agree!

• 275 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Homework overall isn't that bad. Infact I kinda enjoy it. I view it as a challenge, and my personallity does not allow me to loose challenges. So...

The only thing that should be banned is useless homework. By this, I mean the homework that is given that teaches you nothing. If the entire class fully understands a subject, than theres no point in giving further (home)work on the subject. I cannot stand it when teachers do this! /rant

logantheking
logantheking
254 posts
Scribe

I do not believe homework should be banned but I think teachers should give less. I have friends who spend 6+ hours at school and then they have 3 or more hours of homework and several hours on the weekends. They are not idiots and the work is not all from AP or other advanced classes.
I understand students needing to retain the information but enough is enough.

@Maverick, I have some friends whose homework is time-consuming but useless. The are given cross-word puzzles or word-searches with the key terms or whatever they are called.

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

I do not believe homework should be banned but I think teachers should give less

I agree, if there wasn't any homework than I would be really struggling in school.
BLINDsniper1
BLINDsniper1
84 posts
Nomad

Homework should not be banned, it is a part of school and a way for teachers to make sure everyone understands the topic at hand. Although i do agree sometimes students are swamped with homework and the load should be lessened, it should not be banned.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would even consider banning homework.

The U.S. was just ranked 28th in education, when compared internationally. 35% of high school "graduates" cannot even pass a military enterance exam! Have you seen what the questions on there are like?!

The point is, and I'm more than certain that this has been hashed over quite a few times in the last 21 pages, that homework is an essential part of memory retention through repetition. It allows the student the ability to go back over information in order to improve the chances of retention.

While I do agree that it shouldn't be something that should be doled out every night, nor should it require 3 hours to complete, I cannot for one moment ever subscribe to a ban on homework.

What's next? School ban?

(I've actually heard of such a thing. It's called "free-learning&quot *shudders*

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

yes, home is supposed to be for getting away from school and to rest for the next day, and it can also be stressful which over time will kill you so then you can bring a lawsuit against the school.

ninjaassasin1234
ninjaassasin1234
133 posts
Nomad

It doesn't matter to if HW does or doesn't get banned cause i never do more homework.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

Also kids have activities outside of school, not just school work.

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

We need homework so we can get better at school subjects like Mathematics or Science or something.

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

You should only get homework if you're behind in that subject. If you're really far ahead of the rest of the class, and you know everything perfectly, there's really no point in doing homework.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I dislike homework, but the point of it is good; helping you with what you have learned. Now, unnecessary homework, or extreme amounts...thats important.

But it's not terrible. I mean, I finished my homework at school 80% of the time.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

In my opinion homework should be optional. If you want to do it then great, but if you do not think you need the practice then that is fine too.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I agree with that. It separates those who don't care, from those who want to succeed. Personally for me, I find a greater drive when it isn't forced upon me.

JalapenoFez
JalapenoFez
904 posts
Peasant

Your basically saying, should education be banned?

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

If homework was online or something, people wouldn't need to waste paper, clutter their backpacks with stuff they wouldn't keep anyway, and could be graded almost instantly by a computer saving teachers a lot of time. Only problem is that not everyone has computers.

Showing 196-210 of 275