ForumsThe TavernShould Homework be banned?

275 48143
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think Homework should be banned because we are home to enjoy time away from school and us students don't want to drag our school work home.

My parents don't like the idea of homework because they think that when students get home they should be able to relax not do more school work.

Do the users of AG agree that Homework should be banned??

I sure do agree!

• 275 Replies
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

[quote]Never have I seen a person with above 95% not do homework.

Duh. Because they do homework.[/quote]

The point was that nobody that does homework gets an excellent grade.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I know most of you are in grammar school right now, but let me tell you that homework is crucial to actually learning the material.

When you attend the class you are hearing this new information (not always for the first time, but usually so). Homework is how you lock that information into your brain. Practice really does make perfect.

Just because you have a high grade in the class does not guarantee an understanding of the subject you are taking. A prime example is College Algebra. You WILL fail if you do not do the homework every single night.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

What Asherlee said is definitely true. Also, if the teacher finds fault with your homework (an example would be in algebra - perhaps you're doing quadratic equations wrong) then they can show you where you're going wrong and how to rectify the mistakes you're making.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

Also, if the teacher finds fault with your homework (an example would be in algebra - perhaps you're doing quadratic equations wrong) then they can show you where you're going wrong and how to rectify the mistakes you're making.

Then again they could just check that in class...
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Meh, my old teacher gave us our homework back in a folder for us to refer to if we ever had trouble on a certain topic - it was all marked with what we did right and wrong too so we could improve.

Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

this is what i think you look over everything the teacher gives you a test to see if you know it or not if you dont you keep looking over it in class ask questions then retake the test.. homework is pointless

pauler94
pauler94
2,513 posts
Nomad

That's a ridiculous question. It shouldn't be banned. Although I don't like it at all, it's important that you know the information and not everyone studies, so homework should not be banned.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,585 posts
Duke

No not at all because homework is like an automatic study thing.

Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

ah the lazy. do you actually think your job is going to be free of paperwork work and such? do you think that you will actually get a job high enough to REQUIRE sufficent paper work if your application has low grades,, it shows that you dont want to do work, and the employer will pick someone with a highgrades because that person will not slack off. its hardly a issue of knowing

AIias
AIias
19 posts
Nomad

Homework is purely for retaining the new stuff you learned that day. Say you have some sort of block schedule and you had a longer class period then normal. If that is so, it's really hard to keep in mind all the stuff you learned in that class period. Retaining the new stuff you learned from a new subject is all that should be required for work done at home. Busy work to me is unacceptable, trust me, I'm a college student I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

alias. by saying that last part, you kinda say to every one else me over you. i know what im talking about is kinda arrogant, because you dont know any other persons occupation.

i stand by what i said. the grades are need for employers

AIias
AIias
19 posts
Nomad

Flag

alias. by saying that last part, you kinda say to every one else me over you. i know what im talking about is kinda arrogant, because you dont know any other persons occupation.

i stand by what i said. the grades are need for employers

Employers only look at highschool end term grades if you don't have a degree. Normally they only ask for a GPA or any honors or AP classes you have actually taken. The only time an employer, from my experience, has asked me about specific grades form highschool was if the work I'd be doing would require a certain extension of knowledge on a certain subject. I've been asked more often if I've taken any sociology/psychology classes then something like a math class.

Also, from my experience, people would rather hire a hardworking happy person then a brain dead super intelligent zombie =)
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

My point. homework is needed to determine GPA, and if you are in honors than that would boost your chances on being picked for the job. if there was no homework, gpa would be on test and essays and would not imform working habits

AIias
AIias
19 posts
Nomad

My point. homework is needed to determine GPA, and if you are in honors than that would boost your chances on being picked for the job. if there was no homework, gpa would be on test and essays and would not imform working habits

The thing is, in most cases, is that homework and work habits grades are only based around 20% of your grade. 20% can make or break a grade, but it almost always comes down to how you do on a test. Further more, ACT and SAT scores have WAY more impact on whether you would get a job or be accepted into a good college.
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

You should still be doing it to build work habits. it doesnt take a employer that long to figure out your a "smart" worthless piece of shiz

Showing 76-90 of 275