ForumsThe TavernShould Homework be banned?

275 48142
Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I think Homework should be banned because we are home to enjoy time away from school and us students don't want to drag our school work home.

My parents don't like the idea of homework because they think that when students get home they should be able to relax not do more school work.

Do the users of AG agree that Homework should be banned??

I sure do agree!

• 275 Replies
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

btw ( sorry for duel post ) you latest and second latest are kinda contradictory

AIias
AIias
19 posts
Nomad

btw ( sorry for duel post ) you latest and second latest are kinda contradictory

How so? I was stating that homework had some purpose, retaining information the biggest one, but also explaining that the work habits part of your grade doesn't effect your grade as big as a test would. Probably should have clarified that.
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

i was saying what the employer really wants, but non the less, we are arguing for the same side

Naruto_982
Naruto_982
70 posts
Nomad

How so? I was stating that homework had some purpose, retaining information the biggest one, but also explaining that the work habits part of your grade doesn't effect your grade as big as a test would. Probably should have clarified that.

I agree with you, even though homework basically only shows your work habits and how well you understood the lesson taught it shouldn't be banned. The quotes "Practice makes perfect" and "Show your true colors" explains why homework is essential to a student.
Dref14
Dref14
366 posts
Nomad

show your true colors has nothing to do with work, its saying be yourself

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Just because you have a high grade in the class does not guarantee an understanding of the subject you are taking. A prime example is College Algebra. You WILL fail if you do not do the homework every single night.

A case of where you would in fact need homework.

Many people don't need homework for many different subjects. If they need it, they can get it. Making it mandatory is pointless. If people can at least do the work and get it right, every single time, I highly doubt they need homework. If they don't do homework, and obviously begin to fail, then of course, they need homework. Giving homework to everyone, regardless of understanding the topic or not, is rather redundant.

Sometimes you need homework, sometimes you don't. If you don't, there is no sense in having it. It will just reinforce something that has already been reinforced. If people can't do something, they should have practice. If they can do something, why would they need practice?
Naruto_982
Naruto_982
70 posts
Nomad

I thought applying that quote to study habits would be easy to understand, I guess not. Anyway, as you said above the quote's thesis is Don't hide yourself from others, show them who you truly are. If you apply that to study habits, it's basically saying "Don't try to act like you're a role model student just because you score high on tests, to be a role model pupil you have to show you can do your homework while still keeping up the good grades on the tests." In simpler terms: You have to show that you can do work in or out of school/work without getting lazy.

KawaiiRion
KawaiiRion
202 posts
Nomad

Eh, there's not really anything bad about homework.
Sometimes they might be hard, but sometimes they're pretty fun.
And learning new languages is GREAT.
And when I started school few days ago, our principal said, that the teachers try to make our schooldays fun.

So, I think that homework is good ^_^

Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

Homework is definetly something schools should assign. However, I've noticed schools are starting to bomb its students with homework that takes them hours to finish and deprives them of sleep reducing their productivity and focus for the next day. Homework is necessary, schools just need to cut down on it so its students can balance their study time with their bedtime.

allright88
allright88
154 posts
Nomad

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If home work is not there, I will fail in my tests!
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/mrwy1e.jpg[/IMG]

zasgat
zasgat
142 posts
Nomad

the stuff i dont finish in class is homework for me

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

While I don't enjoy homework, at all. It's one of those things considered a necessary evil, I know that if I didn't have homework, half the time I wouldn't have a clue about what I was doing, Not to mention it's a decent grade booster if your teacher grades on completion. It's not as good if it's graded on accuracy but still depending on whether or not you paid attention, it's a great tool.

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

I actually think homework is rather useless as well as school in general because the science curriculum for last year for me was so simple that I did not learn anything all year.
It only took me two hours reading during the summer to read/reread the whole curriculum with more details. Math is slow and the homework is too much of the same thing over and over again. Math isn't hard for me but the homework gets on my nerves. Why do I have to do twenty problems a day at home (some of which may require to draw random things that are completely unrelated with the other work we did) when I already know things some two years ahead of the math we do in school. Don't get me started on English. We read random books that are usually pretty bad (with the exceptions of course Shakespeare). To tell you how bad the books are here is one of the books we read. I cannot remember the name, but the basic plot is that the main character (a main girl with mental disorder) loves to write (but she writes like *curse word of choosing here*). So the whole story is her going to a normal class where she somehow does well in English and fails in everything else (well not fail fail, but barely getting by with a C) This was the last thing we read last year.
Foreign language is a waste of time because we can barely have a normal conversation on that language. Enough said on that.
History (in USA at least) is a waste of time because we learned geography in three weeks (500 questions total, but test only had 100) and we don't learn anything except US history (same thing we learned in fourth grade, but it gets repeated in ninth and tenth as well) all the history I know is useless is school...same with science.
So this is why I do not like school and homework. I could finish the whole school curriculum in less then five months (three maybe if I try hard) instead of the nine and extra days (183 days of school for me)

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Because not everyone in the world attends a school that dreadful. Because not everyone is as 'intelligent' as you are. Because not everyone can learn out of a book. Shall I continue?

Your spiel there struck me as something an incredibly arrogant person would say. You say you think school is unnecessary? Tell me where did you gain the ability to write out that entire post? You certainly weren't born with it.

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

Your spiel there struck me as something an incredibly arrogant person would say. You say you think school is unnecessary? Tell me where did you gain the ability to write out that entire post? You certainly weren't born with it.

Everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten

Good poem...
anyway...what I mean with my above post is that homeschooling is better then school,
because
A) It is like a private class
B) You go your own speed
C) You learn more (usually) in less time (usually)
I know school is important, and you can not be home-schooled when you are in high school...sigh I know...I just complained about how the world should be in a perfect educational environment.
Showing 91-105 of 275