ForumsSupport ForumModerators

206 27246
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

I am not here to argue because that would imply that am doing anything less than stating facts. And I just wrote this all before and it all god deleted because I backed up the web page and AG is the only poorly enough coded site that it doesn't auto keep my text on so I am keeping this way shorter than the last.

The problem with mods these days is that they are poorly picked, because we have a shortage of mods and instead of waiting for the right people to show up the wrong people get picked. This doesn't work. You should have a quota of mods, that makes no sense on a site that has to wait for mod-worthy people to come, you can't do that. If at one point you have 5 qualified mods, then that sucks for them, lots of more work, but if there is 15 why then not take them all instead of saying sorry we full.

But the latter isn't the issue, it is the former. An issue is that the distinction between a great user and a moderator doesn't exist. It actually does, me. I am a quality user that is not a mod, but many other mods just like me who fit in same category shouldn't be there, and I won't mention names, but everyone knows who I am talking about clearly, even the mod themselves, because even they realize they shouldn't be mods. Yes you, you all know who you are. These people are great users with great content and you've turned them into mods which has not only made them worse, but you ruining the community as well.

Anyone who is awesome you've swept from the AG community and turned into a moderator who shouldn't be there because they are power tripping and think anyone who criticizes them should be banned, and instead of letting kids deal with their problems just instantly ban half the populous. Most of the best community from the past, all the old users, have left. When I talk to them on MSN about why they left, almost every single one left because of the poorly manages mods, who were either nonexistent when needed or took action where they should have stopped nosing around.

These mods, who instead of spending their time posting fun threads and letting users do what they want, they ruin users fun because it's not constructive to the site. Take a step back, who are these rules meant to be helping? Oh right the majority of users. What happens when the same majority of users want to do something like make a spam thread or do something fun? They get banned. That doesn't make sense, this isn't US congress, laws aren't irreversible or inflexible. But instead of being normal people and letting small things slide, they act uptight(even though they were the exact opposite when normal members) and power trip and ban all the good users. Almost no one from the past is here on AG anymore and for a good reason.

The mods are suppose to be here to facilitate fun and help the community progress and all they do nowadays is deter that. You seem to forget that just like police you are here to serve and protect us, not harp over us and ruin your own community.

Also, once a mod is chosen I have never seen a single one be fired(except maybe 1). You guys are way to passive. There is no way on earth that every single one of the mods ever chosen have all been perfect. The same thing in a company, people hire others, realize it was a mistake and fire them. Not let them go AFK and sit there being useless or being a bad mod ruining the community and wait until they resign. You need to grow a pair, grow up, and take lead and fire other mods, stop being so passive towards each other you are just ruining armorgames.

Now I know this thread will just be ignored or locked by the mods. Because the one thing I always realize with you guys, is that you have lots of criticism for everyone else, but when ever so clear problems with you guys come up, you ignore it or delete and/or ban users who were completely in their right. I have tried for countless years to have anything done and nothing ever does because everyone is too scared to speak out and stop being useless.

The mods list right now is in terrible shape, stop ignoring me, stop telling me I am wrong with no reason and just banning me. Instead, try doing something, stop being little whimps and actually do something for a change, maybe you will finally make a right decision and stop ruining the community you are suppose to be supporting. This forum is so tiny compared to others I am on, it is insanely surprising to me how you have so much trouble dealing with such a small group of mods. But then again, I am not so surprised because it is a circle. Hiring terrible staff who wont admit when wrong and rectify errors leads to the best community-lead users hating the staff, making them leave,and these good players who make the community thrive leave, the community dies more,less good mods to chose from, and staff has then to pick from more shitty people to become mods, then we have more shitty mods.

Someone needs to break the cycle or else this site will keep getting worse. And if you don't like how brash I am being then I suggest someone finally either brings me to somewhere I can deal with this myself with someone who can actually do something or do it yourself. Because I don't say this for nothing, I say it because I know better.

• 206 Replies
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Right. Obviously we have some competent mods, otherwise this whole forum would just be spam

Strop, Nemo, uhhh.. I can't remember the rest.
Oh and Moe obviously. Yeah but the rest I don't know, probably not.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Don't forget about Gantic. He's one of the competent ones.

Oh and Moe obviously.

If only he were still a mod...
TheLeg
TheLeg
21 posts
Nomad

Who throws moose turds?

they're perfect for throwing. They're really good for slingshots too.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

they're perfect for throwing. They're really good for slingshots too.

I would guess that the older the moose turd the more suited for these purposes it would be though. Fresh ones wouldn't really lend themselves well to such purposes, especially in the instance of the slingshot. I'd also like to put forth that rabbit and deer turds would also be equally well suited to this purpose, in fact in many cases I think we would find them more suited than moose turds. In this light I would argue that this debate hasn't been 'throwing moose turds' but rather 'displaying the various types of turds each of has available and expressing our willingness to throw them'.

/rant.
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Klaus, while you just kinda complained her, you never stated an alternative. If you said something about what yo uwould do your self, i'm sorry, I only read the OP.

How would you choose the mods klaus? Your mod material, stubborn, funny, innapropriate.....we need a fun mod to off set the "HULK SMASH" mods.

Now, while I'm not saying anything against the mods we have, they hate most of the users beacsue most of the users hate them. There cool people if you get to know them.

I'm not sure what I'm saying right now. Bit to much acid.

But Klaus I want you to sit back and make a list of people you want modified that could make this a fun place like you invision. Sadly, this site is not JUST a forum. It is also a flash site. So of course the quailty of people that pass through here are not going to be that of a hardcore forum full of fun loving smart people. Sorry, but your not gonna find them here.

wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

Honestly I don't see much of a point to this argument.
From what I can tell Klaus is angry because he dosen't like the system, right?

Well it didn't really seem like you were posting ideas for the better. I think I would have to agree with Zophia in that you just seem to be complaining about all the little things.
I may not know much about this site but I do believe that if you don't like the system then you have two options.

Option one: You can stop your complaining and whiny and generally acting like a little two year old who dosen't get what he wants. So you can suggest some ideas to change the site, mabye for the better. Isn't that what this section is for?

Option two: Just get out. If you can't act a little more well mature about it then you don't technically have to be here. There was no contract when you created your acount that said you needed to be here.

Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

So, I've been around for a decent amount of time, and I have to agree with Klaus. The site needs some serious changes to actually become a good community. Now, unfortunately, most of these problems aren't directly the mods fault, or their fault at all. Some of the major problems with AG are...

No search command
No private messages
Armour Points
Comments
General bugs and glitches
Lack of moderators
Merits (though in my opinion, they should just be removed)

Now, none of those things are the moderators responsibilities, but the site's owners, who seem to neglect the forums quite a lot. I have noticed all of the above as problems since I first joined here a year and a half ago, and what's changed up until now? We have new coloured Armatars. Whoop-de-f*cking-do.

On the topic of moderators, while they aren't horrible there are several improvements to be had. First off. You need more. WAY more. The community contains (hypothetically) over 500,000 people. The mods I physically see active are Nemo, Strop, Cen, and Zoph and I assume Gantic is working somewhere in the shadows. That is a huge user to mod ratio. On another forum I visit, we have about 6,500 members. We have 5 active Admins and 7 additional Mods. Another has 1,250 members, 2 Admins, and 8 Moderators. Both run quite smoothly. Now, we don't just need numbers, but saying that the moderation of this community is anything better than horrible is just ignorant.

As for mod behaviour, in my opinion, it hasn't been that bad lately (not saying I haven't had problems in the past). Seriously though, you guys need to learn to work in the spirit of the rules, not following them to a "T". It's the same as a cop pulling someone over for going 105 on the freeway for speeding, but letting the guy driving his car in reverse down the freeway go by, since he's only doing 100 (also, that's kph, for you Americans). Sure he was right, but who do you think caused the 5 car pile up just down the road? Basically, what I'm saying is, if someone makes a funny, albeit slightly off-topic post, let it slide and insted worry about the kids posting stuff like this. Yes, that really is the OP. He didn't even think of an opening post for his thread before posting it.

All in all, here's a list of things that could be changed without the Admins needing to break a sweat, that would better the community.

Get rid of AP altogether: No AP, far less spamming, seeing as people are posting because they genuinely want to talk about said topic instead of just stroking their E-peen. Some people seem to have forgotten that's what forums are for. Talking to each other.

Make some stickies: Instead of just using stickies for rules, sticky some of the most reoccurring threads, thus reducing the amount of repeated topics. Also, one forum I go to has a specific "This vs. That" section, which gets all of those kids out of the way. I mean seriously, how many Justin Bieber vs. Eminem/Slipknot/Billy Ray Cyrus/AcDc threads have we seen? It's like everyone has a raging hard-on for him.

Stop being uptight: You keep falling back to the "This is a PG-13 site" excuse. Have you ever seen a PG-13 movie? Give this a read. Yes, that list includes G movies with nudity in them, and many of them also contain mild language (read: infrequent use of swearing). Sure, bypassing the censor is wrong, but in reality, a lot of that stuff shouldn't be on that list in the first place. And if you ARE going to censor it, at least make it loving funny.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Hmmm....I have to say that the two best points I've seen so far(and I have read the every post), are needing more mods and getting rid of AP. AP just seems to cause problems.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Strop, Nemo, uhhh.. I can't remember the rest.
Oh and Moe obviously. Yeah but the rest I don't know, probably not.

Strop mostly passes by to post in his threads, I haven't seen Nemo. Moe is no longer a mod.
I wonder how the spam disappears, then.

They may be rare, but that's only because the users have been discouraged due to the lack of merit-awarding.

I am so sorry for that. I will take some time of when I get back from cleaning fire damage to find some merits.
Note: Last time I went through a game, there was no comments quite meritworthy, so apparently people have stopped trying entirely, and I will probably waste my time.

Anyway, back to the OP:
If at one point you have 5 qualified mods,

I have gone through an entire thread of "Who you want to be the next mod", and not at one time I have seen more people suggested than 2. Usually it is one, and then they are discussed.
Hell, I wasn't considered qualified before around, what October-November last year or something, and at that time I was having my exams, so there was just a lot more of discussing.
Life is such a sad thing to have, when you are a mod.

An issue is that the distinction between a great user and a moderator doesn't exist.

Maybe you don't think so, but considering at least I think we have a number of great users, but none of them are mods, it must mean that there is a distinction. And to be honest, I would rather be a great user than a mod these days.

It actually does, me. I am a quality user that is not a mod,

I guess we need more mods that will spam up a thread with images and horrify the newbies?

Most of the best community from the past, all the old users

We still got KINGRYAN!!
As for the rest of the section: This is possibly the longest I have been active in any forum. People with a mind like mine would probably have left just because they had the feeling they were done with the forums, or had outgrown it, or it just didn't fit.
And I kinda wonder who you find to be powertripping, because I am pretty sure from your list up there that I would not agree. But that is probably my own issues, and not people thinking they are the best and know it all.

These mods, who instead of spending their time posting fun threads and letting users do what they want, they ruin users fun because it's not constructive to the site.

I try not to, but then I get "Hey *link* this should be locked, it is such a spam thread/flaming going on/baaad troooooll" a thousand times in my comments. If I ignore them, I am a bad mod, if I act on it, I am a bad mod, if I make a witty comment, people think I am serious, and will rage at me for trying to take their points away or whatever.
And considering people go "Baw, no merits, baw so much spam in the comments", I wouldn't even be able to post in the forums, if I looked towards that instead.
Let's conclude I am a bad mod, and the kid I got permabanned who made death threats towards me should have been given my place, eh?

The mods are suppose to be here to facilitate fun and help the community progress and all they do nowadays is deter that. You seem to forget that just like police you are here to serve and protect us, not harp over us and ruin your own community.

This one I kinda think is bad mood talking, but then again the people I push in the right direction and patiently help is not going to come forth. Who would thank a mod??!!

Also, once a mod is chosen I have never seen a single one be fired(except maybe 1)

Blind hope that they will come back from their hiatus and help out?
I don't know, I can't change it either.

There is no way on earth that every single one of the mods ever chosen have all been perfect.

Sorry to be humans? No one is perfect (sorry to burst your bubble), and we know that. We become mods with all our quirks and flaws, and if it ends up being a huge problems, I guess the staff is clinging to the few mods they got, no matter how little they do. As long as no reports are being made, there is no ground for demodding, I guess.
Again, the kid with the death threats should probably have had his wish fulfilled and had me banned and demodded for banning him 3 days or what it was.

Now I know this thread will just be ignored or locked by the mods.

Best way ever to keep a thread open, amirite?

The mods list right now is in terrible shape,

I kindly disagree. We are just in - shape. It is easier to fall back and go "fffffffff..." than deal with people complaining about nothing and everything and say that mods hate them, and have major conversations that end in huge flamewars and such, than try to break them up, because most times they don't listen.

No search command
No private messages
Armour Points
Comments
General bugs and glitches
Lack of moderators

We need that, but no.
Yes.
Off with their heads.
Uhm, besides the ap-issue..?
YES!
We need more.
I like my merits:< At least the ones I earned.

The problem here is that we can't change other things than ourselves, and thus we have to make up proper solutions for the lacks of this site. Improvise, so people stop complaining about something, or at least gives us a good reason to lock the thread, before people start argue about something that won't change.
For most parts we are just members like you all, and there is no communication between us and the staff. Mostly Carlie pop in once a month or so to see if there was people who needed to be permabanned, and then she disappears again (or I lack to see her?), so we are quite alone with the problems.

Oh well, whatever with this, it is just a site, and I have to go to work, so thar.

(Oh, btw, we need a general overhaul of the rules, and make the TaC actually work. Perhaps when we don't have to point people to "You are not allowed to harass and discriminate against other members" every other day, we would relax a bit. It is easier to continue the strict, than soften up a few minutes at the time, before you get more people unbelievable unable to cope with humanity in a proper way...)
tomertheking
tomertheking
1,751 posts
Jester

If someone has any ideas how to "fix" the site please, post. I agree with Cenere about Possible Insanity's ideas. AP is needed fopr the forum. If you take away the AP most peple will get out of the forum.

TheLeg
TheLeg
21 posts
Nomad

If someone has any ideas how to "fix" the site please, post. I agree with Cenere about Possible Insanity's ideas. AP is needed fopr the forum. If you take away the AP most peple will get out of the forum.

that is completely untrue. For one, I believe cenere agreed that AP should go. Second, sure people will leave, but The people who stay will be the people who actually care about the forums, and come to the forum to discuss things rather than just gain AP, while the people who will leave will be the ones who already bring quality of the forums down. With those people gone, possibly more good users will come and decide that ArmorGames actually has a good community, and isn't a bunch of pre-teens with nothing better to do than talk about retarded shit.

Stop being uptight: You keep falling back to the "This is a PG-13 site" excuse. Have you ever seen a PG-13 movie? Give this a read. Yes, that list includes G movies with nudity in them, and many of them also contain mild language (read: infrequent use of swearing). Sure, bypassing the censor is wrong, but in reality, a lot of that stuff shouldn't be on that list in the first place. And if you ARE going to censor it, at least make it loving funny.

So Fucking true. Fuck.
Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

If someone has any ideas how to "fix" the site please, post.

You could give it a shot.

I agree with Cenere about Possible Insanity's ideas.

Of course you do. That's another thing. People saying "What he said" should be given a swift kick to the groin, not the people going out of their way to think up something original to say, no matter what it may be.

AP is needed fopr the forum.

No, judging by any successful forum, it really, really, is not.

If you take away the AP most peple will get out of the forum.

That's pretty much the idea. It's like saying people would quit playing football if they got rid of the cheerleaders. If you're only playing so you can watch them, you're in the wrong place.
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

Nah, I'm not saying I care about them. But it shows how much thought this user put into this comment to earn that merit. Or to prove that this person has great poetry skills.
Armour Points

It is an issue. Too many people care about AP. And thinks it's their life. Then they would just spam the hell of it for points. And when somebody reports their spam to, well for an example Cenny. So Cenny warns them. And they flame/troll back...That is just ridiculous.

I know it will make the forums go down a bit. A bit can be an understatement but the more "loyal" users or the people who don't care about AP would stay. But whoever leaves because AG takes out AP. It's THEIR problem. What can I do? What can the members do? What can the AG staff do?

And if we do take away AP. Some people would think, "Ah, what the heck? Then game site doesn't have any points. So why spam? I'll just make quality posts!" I doubt that a lot of people would think that though.

Also taking away Ap can cause a flame war. You know what I'm talking about. The people who care about AP would start trolling because there is no AP left. I know AG can maintain them. But it would just be a wreck for a couple of weeks.
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I would agree with the AP thing to a degree. Perhaps instead of eliminating AP entirely we eliminate every way to get AP except merits, which we will also allow for extremely well thought out, relevant, and noteworthy forum posts as well.

I know that having merits for forum posts has been suggested and shot down, mostly on the basis that there is too much ground to cover and too many threads to monitor for the current mod team. However a lot of what I'm seeing is a lack of mods. Mods are just regular users with lives, families, jobs, responsibilities.

They aren't online 24/7 with nothing better to do than hang out on AG. Realistically for the size of this community we need at least double the number of mods. If we can get that to happen then the 'merit for forum post' would be a much more feasible idea, and would help to encourage quality posts while not encouraging spam or trolling.

Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

The people who care about AP would start trolling because there is no AP left.

Oh, that's another thing. One of the stickies should contain the definitions of "Trolling", "Spamming", and "Lurking" and it should be stated as a rule that all members know the proper definitions of each. Should someone misuse one of them in a post, they are liable to receive a one day ban for being a gently caress head.
Showing 31-45 of 206