ForumsSupport ForumModerators

206 27247
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

I am not here to argue because that would imply that am doing anything less than stating facts. And I just wrote this all before and it all god deleted because I backed up the web page and AG is the only poorly enough coded site that it doesn't auto keep my text on so I am keeping this way shorter than the last.

The problem with mods these days is that they are poorly picked, because we have a shortage of mods and instead of waiting for the right people to show up the wrong people get picked. This doesn't work. You should have a quota of mods, that makes no sense on a site that has to wait for mod-worthy people to come, you can't do that. If at one point you have 5 qualified mods, then that sucks for them, lots of more work, but if there is 15 why then not take them all instead of saying sorry we full.

But the latter isn't the issue, it is the former. An issue is that the distinction between a great user and a moderator doesn't exist. It actually does, me. I am a quality user that is not a mod, but many other mods just like me who fit in same category shouldn't be there, and I won't mention names, but everyone knows who I am talking about clearly, even the mod themselves, because even they realize they shouldn't be mods. Yes you, you all know who you are. These people are great users with great content and you've turned them into mods which has not only made them worse, but you ruining the community as well.

Anyone who is awesome you've swept from the AG community and turned into a moderator who shouldn't be there because they are power tripping and think anyone who criticizes them should be banned, and instead of letting kids deal with their problems just instantly ban half the populous. Most of the best community from the past, all the old users, have left. When I talk to them on MSN about why they left, almost every single one left because of the poorly manages mods, who were either nonexistent when needed or took action where they should have stopped nosing around.

These mods, who instead of spending their time posting fun threads and letting users do what they want, they ruin users fun because it's not constructive to the site. Take a step back, who are these rules meant to be helping? Oh right the majority of users. What happens when the same majority of users want to do something like make a spam thread or do something fun? They get banned. That doesn't make sense, this isn't US congress, laws aren't irreversible or inflexible. But instead of being normal people and letting small things slide, they act uptight(even though they were the exact opposite when normal members) and power trip and ban all the good users. Almost no one from the past is here on AG anymore and for a good reason.

The mods are suppose to be here to facilitate fun and help the community progress and all they do nowadays is deter that. You seem to forget that just like police you are here to serve and protect us, not harp over us and ruin your own community.

Also, once a mod is chosen I have never seen a single one be fired(except maybe 1). You guys are way to passive. There is no way on earth that every single one of the mods ever chosen have all been perfect. The same thing in a company, people hire others, realize it was a mistake and fire them. Not let them go AFK and sit there being useless or being a bad mod ruining the community and wait until they resign. You need to grow a pair, grow up, and take lead and fire other mods, stop being so passive towards each other you are just ruining armorgames.

Now I know this thread will just be ignored or locked by the mods. Because the one thing I always realize with you guys, is that you have lots of criticism for everyone else, but when ever so clear problems with you guys come up, you ignore it or delete and/or ban users who were completely in their right. I have tried for countless years to have anything done and nothing ever does because everyone is too scared to speak out and stop being useless.

The mods list right now is in terrible shape, stop ignoring me, stop telling me I am wrong with no reason and just banning me. Instead, try doing something, stop being little whimps and actually do something for a change, maybe you will finally make a right decision and stop ruining the community you are suppose to be supporting. This forum is so tiny compared to others I am on, it is insanely surprising to me how you have so much trouble dealing with such a small group of mods. But then again, I am not so surprised because it is a circle. Hiring terrible staff who wont admit when wrong and rectify errors leads to the best community-lead users hating the staff, making them leave,and these good players who make the community thrive leave, the community dies more,less good mods to chose from, and staff has then to pick from more shitty people to become mods, then we have more shitty mods.

Someone needs to break the cycle or else this site will keep getting worse. And if you don't like how brash I am being then I suggest someone finally either brings me to somewhere I can deal with this myself with someone who can actually do something or do it yourself. Because I don't say this for nothing, I say it because I know better.

• 206 Replies
Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

Perhaps instead of eliminating AP entirely we eliminate every way to get AP except merits, which we will also allow for extremely well thought out, relevant, and noteworthy forum posts as well.

And in what way does that differ from just removing AP altogether and leaving merits in place? Having AP based solely on merits is rather redundant, don't you think?
Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

Also, that reminds me of my last point. I can't believe that I forgot it originally, since it is one of the things that annoys me the most. That double (now triple) post could easily been avoided with an edit button. Seriously, what on God's green earth would posses you to make a forum with no edit button? You know, there's a reason that things like vBulletin exist, so we don't end up with crap like this.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Yeah the site is coded pretty badly.

I suppose they used their own code instead of just using Vbulletin is to have something that matches the site.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I suppose they used their own code instead of just using Vbulletin is to have something that matches the site.

That is exactly what it is, and what causes many of the issues that we have. We don't see them on other sites because they don't have proprietary coding, they all use the same coding which has already been tested, developed, and fixed numerous times.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Although it is quite possible to integrate vBulletin and pHpBB within a site.

Look at this site for example

http://www.battlefieldheroeshq.com/forum/

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

...But then I suppose their own code also allows much more variance, and allows the possibility of the AP system.

I mean, we couldn't have AP, and all its associates such as armatars, merits, ranking, etc. Although personally I would like to see all that gone.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

First I'm going to start with the whole "You are an idiot" thing that is just insulting people's absolutely horrible post. Then I will move onto an actual post.

Oh, that's another thing. One of the stickies should contain the definitions of "Trolling", "Spamming", and "Lurking" and it should be stated as a rule that all members know the proper definitions of each. Should someone misuse one of them in a post, they are liable to receive a one day ban for being a gently caress head.

What kind of stupid suggestion is that?

Anyways, I am going to reply from the top.

I am not here to argue because that would imply that am doing anything less than stating facts. And I just wrote this all before and it all god deleted because I backed up the web page and AG is the only poorly enough coded site that it doesn't auto keep my text on so I am keeping this way shorter than the last.

Get Google chrome? What kind of post is this going to be? Maybe 1 ever 100 threads needs this feature, but honestly, how many threads are on AG again?

And as for not arguing I think you came here to make a change, right? If you want to do that then you have to argue, I find that it was unnecessary to add that as if to say "DON'T BAN ME I'M JUST STATING FACTS." Moderators are fine people. They know what is right in most situations.

The problem with mods these days is that they are poorly picked, because we have a shortage of mods and instead of waiting for the right people to show up the wrong people get picked. This doesn't work. You should have a quota of mods, that makes no sense on a site that has to wait for mod-worthy people to come, you can't do that. If at one point you have 5 qualified mods, then that sucks for them, lots of more work, but if there is 15 why then not take them all instead of saying sorry we full.

I have to agree with you on this, not the quality of moderators but the actual inactive moderators who never post or do anything.

An idea I once had is for all those people who "want" to be a moderator they can but all they can do is "Special report" and "Special merit" game comments. Then this would go straight to a moderator and a moderator would verify if the post should be deleted by simply clicking yes or no. If certain users seem to be better then others then they will start being able to "special report" forum posts, profile comments, Etc. This would take off a whole lot of work for the moderators. And only responsible people would end up starting. They would be rare.

But the latter isn't the issue, it is the former. An issue is that the distinction between a great user and a moderator doesn't exist. It actually does, me. I am a quality user that is not a mod, but many other mods just like me who fit in same category shouldn't be there, and I won't mention names, but everyone knows who I am talking about clearly, even the mod themselves, because even they realize they shouldn't be mods. Yes you, you all know who you are. These people are great users with great content and you've turned them into mods which has not only made them worse, but you ruining the community as well.

You then go on to say the moderators should be fun people. As far as I can see you could actually a perfect moderator in your opinion yet don't admit it. Since you say you take your jobs seriously. Do I think you are a perfect moderator, no. You would allow to many things that should be deleted staying. A character of your type could be a moderator though. Just a bit more professional.

Anyone who is awesome you've swept from the AG community and turned into a moderator who shouldn't be there because they are power tripping and think anyone who criticizes them should be banned, and instead of letting kids deal with their problems just instantly ban half the populous. Most of the best community from the past, all the old users, have left. When I talk to them on MSN about why they left, almost every single one left because of the poorly manages mods, who were either nonexistent when needed or took action where they should have stopped nosing around.

Tell me the last time Cenere powertripped.

Then it gets all muddled up in saying MODERATORS SUCK.

This is exactly what I mean. Instead of actually addressing any of my issues all you say is "this isn't big deal" and that I am whiny. You exemplify the thesis of a terrible moderator.

What about the other things. Don't focus on one or two things, read the whole post. Complain about it, not to the users but to an admin, complain to Carlie. Moderators have no power hugely over the site.

Then, more posts, that some I agree with some I don't and some just having no input.

As for me only posting problems not solutions. This is for one reason, because no matter how many solutions I have none are taken into effect. If you gave me 1 week with total control of this forum it would be a complete overhaul, and I don't just mean spam I mean mods, users, merit system, rules, everything. When I take a job I take it seriously, specially since I am doing it pro bono there is no reason for me to do it half assed if I asked for it. The problem isn't Zophia specifically, it is the entire staff that is incompetent, and never gets anything done properly.

Your suggestions are not taken in seriously because of the way to present them. You present them by basically saying "YOU SUCK" the whole time.

No search command
No private messages
Armour Points
Comments
General bugs and glitches
Lack of moderators
Merits (though in my opinion, they should just be removed)

Private messages are REALLY needed, but if that happened then maybe one of my bans wouldn't have been taken into affect. I suggest no AP.

Eh. You have to live with AP, that is what keeps many users here, we are not just a forum we are a gaming site and Dan needs people to stay to get money for the site and for that we need AP for people to get here. Klause himself has ranted about advertisements and the need of people there, you need people so we have to cling onto those spammers, since they do actually keep the revenue up.

Comments are fine, they just need a clean up.

Yes, most definently, of course most people are going to just say "It will all happen in AG 3.0" which annoys me.

Yes, I have already expressed my opinion in this post somewhere.

No. Merits are fine as they are we just need more people encouraged to get them.

Make some stickies: Instead of just using stickies for rules, sticky some of the most reoccurring threads, thus reducing the amount of repeated topics. Also, one forum I go to has a specific "This vs. That" section, which gets all of those kids out of the way. I mean seriously, how many Justin Bieber vs. Eminem/Slipknot/Billy Ray Cyrus/AcDc threads have we seen? It's like everyone has a raging hard-on for him.

No, the first page would be all stickies and people would have to go to second page to see something.

May I call you an idiot for triple posting to prove a point?

Now, *waits for PI to come up with a reason on why my post was stupid*
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Woops, kind of forgot to move on to a actual post.

Say what you want about it, I just felt like making a big post for once.

TheLeg
TheLeg
21 posts
Nomad

Eh. You have to live with AP, that is what keeps many users here, we are not just a forum we are a gaming site and Dan needs people to stay to get money for the site and for that we need AP for people to get here. Klause himself has ranted about advertisements and the need of people there, you need people so we have to cling onto those spammers, since they do actually keep the revenue up.

The people who use the forums are a very minuscule amount compared to the people who just come here for the games. Also, the revenues would only be down for a short time if any at all. other people will come as long as there still are people left who actually care about the forums. Although at the moment it seems like they're all gone because of all the people who dick around posting stupid irrelevant uninspired trash on the forums for armor points. Seriously, the only reason I ever stuck around is because you guys are all such losers, It's so much fun to fuck around with you. I keep coming back because it's so god damn funny to make you losers bitch and moan about trolling and spamming. However, I do like this site. I like playing the games. I enjoy fucking with people on the forums. It has a very structured community. However, the well structured community doesn't work when everyone is posting stupid shit that no one ever reads.

Most people come here for the great games. You do realize that, right? The site is called ArmorGames, not ArmorComparedicksizes, or ArmorFuckaroundwithanonexistantpointsystemandpoststupidshitonforums.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I also do not care for ArmorPoints. I do, however, enjoy how the site keeps track of the number of forum posts you made. A private chat system would also be a welcome addition to the site. It will make reporting members much easier, as well as keeping certain conversations that should be private, private.

Personally, I feel the less stickies in a section, the better. We should only sticky important threads, may they be rules, contests, or special occasion. Popular threads that everyone should post in are the last threads to need stickied because they are popular. People are constantly bumping them up. There is no need to keep them tacked up.

What I do enjoy about these forums is the fact that we don't allow stupid annoying signatures. Those are nerdy, too nerdy even for a gaming website! They are also annoying.

I enjoy the lack of font tools. Black is the only font color anybody needs. Bold and italic are simple yet effective. We don't need the ability to paste ugly yellow smileys in out posts. These forums are very simple, yet they are also very clutter free.

I wouldn't make any changes to the forums themselves, well, except maybe rearrange and fix some of the stickied content.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Even the trolls love to come back and contribute to the forums. They hide many of their posts in self-absorbed chatter and act like they are some sort of awesome rebel, but deep down they really do love the community.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

I agree that ArmorPoints aren't terribly good - they encourage spam for a start. I do think that the Merit system is good though - it gives users something to work towards and a reason to better the things they post. As for signatures? I for one couldn't care less about having some stupid wall of text at the bottom of every post I make - and I wouldn't particularly want to have to read through every body elses, you can shove all that stuff into your bio on your profile.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Short note on the stickies, while I am still somewhat clear in my head:
We are trying. Asherlee and I are, well, were, working on giving the stickies a new makeup, which would include "This does the words mean" and "Don't be a fool, don't go "8/10" in the comments" and stuff like that. Basically all the current stickies, but more and with hot chocolate on top.
But then reality hit me (since I was planning to update the stickies from when I was made a mod, let's just conclude I am generally lazy and not very good at doing stuff like that (even though I have most of the material)), and reality hit Asherlee, and now we are basically at the starting point.

It will get there, but I was actualyl hoping that the new version of AG, whenever it comes around, will update the help-page with all that information, so we don't need the stickies.
To be honest, with a properly working help-page, AG would only need perhaps a short explaining sticky in each section, with a link to that page, and the help/rules/general information would thus be consistent and we would only need top point people to one spot(this is a pet peevee of mine, sorry).
From a information scientific PoV, AG is a black hole of lost information and a treadmill for anyone who need the information.

(I actually considered to write a project on AG, just because of this black hole syndrome).

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

But yes, Armorgames is poorly coded.

Yup it is.
You can tell by looking at my profile and realizing that I'm using an armatar that's not even released yet as well as that I'm 2010 years old

A hardcore hacker could still do that even if the site was greatly coded.

First rule of hacking: Everything has an exploit. Its the consequences that stops us.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I am going to respond to the allegations about moderators in this thread only insofar as it hasn't already been addressed:

I'm not that active. The limit of my activity here, currently, is to check my profile to address any comments or complaints made there. On occasion, these complaints have already been dealt with by somebody else. Only recently have I also begun to update my own thread in the AMW section again.

To my knowledge, the other moderators who are currently most active are Cenere, Nemo, and Gantic. Gantic tends to be nearly invisible when he works. Asherlee is working 60 hour weeks, so while we were happy that she returned, you can appreciate that she currently has little time on her hands. Moegreche retired because he got married. Estel is always busy with either school or sport and I haven't seen him around in months. Safe to say that Ubertuna is also inactive. Since I'm not that active, I cannot claim that what I've just said is entirely accurate, but it is my impression.

As for myself, I'm also out 10-11 hours of the day on the weekdays, and I also have classes on the weekend, so I'm also working 60 hour weeks. In short, I may have been a good moderator when I was bored from writing a thesis and not attending classes, but over the past two years I haven't exactly been able to do much for the site other than be away.

---

Okay, now for the rest:

Yes, most definently, of course most people are going to just say "It will all happen in AG 3.0" which annoys me.

People who say this have acknowledged that they have no leverage or power whatsoever to make any impact on what will be implemented on the site. This includes myself.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course. After all, complaining on a forum about a forum still constitutes and generates forum activity, regardless of whether this is a good or a bad thing. But this also means that I'm entitled to say that it's poor form to be disingenuous in the guise of such a vitriolic rant. I'm not sure you did anybody any favours, Klaus, including yourself.
Showing 46-60 of 206