ForumsThe TavernEver have a "Useless Partner"?

72 11471
bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

In engineering we have to build a bridge, and I got partnered up with the most useless a$$hole in the intire class...

I basicly do everything, and when he does help, he screws everything up.

You see, we have a limited amount materials, and when he messes up a single angle, that takes away from our materials and makes it impossible to redo anything...

Currently, our bridge looks like shit.

DX

Ok, rant post over...

I guess you can discuss Useless partners amoungest yourselves....

• 72 Replies
robotking98
robotking98
124 posts
Nomad

Mhm, plenty of times, typically it's nothing major though, just an in-class assignment that takes all of about half an hour.

Still though, I can feel your pain when it comes to having complete screw-ups for partners.

BackFlip
BackFlip
138 posts
Nomad

yepp i know exactly how ya feel buddy

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

well, I'm alright with usless partners, so long as there trying. If there not, then I don't do the project. I mean for the most part, you can't help being the stupid kid.

take me for example. I have a D in chemistry (me and my lab partner are fail) And often times the teacher sticks a kid doing poorly in the class with someone who is doing well, to boost there grade, and help them learn whats going on.

bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

I wish our school had D's =(

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

In elementary school yes, I had to do an entire science fair project by myself. In highschool not that much since I worked with friends that were not borderline retarded. In university most people are smart and try hard so no problems.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Yes, I think people realize they can't afford to slack off when they get older. But when is that for my group of friends?

Also I would rather work alone than work with someone that's purposely slowing you down, or just doing something not related to the subject.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

yea this one girl alls she wanted to do was talk about her boyfriend and her sexual incorse she typed 1 paragraph id did the really hard project and the other 9 pages

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I prefer to abandon people who are too lazy to care for the work they are assigned.

sasuke510
sasuke510
16 posts
Peasant

I've been in classes with teachers who would intentionally make groups up of equal parts average kid and troublemaker, and then stick a gifted kid in there (we had a program for that at my school). It was supposed to kind of even things out, but mostly it just meant I'd do all the work so the idiots would shut up and let me read my book.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

lol, i think this is how my english partner feels about me, hes always like 'isaac, its been 5 weeks and ive done everything'

ArchlordPie
ArchlordPie
150 posts
Jester

I've had to put up with several useless partners in my day. At one point I got completely fed up with them, because there were two or three of these people and they were in all the same classes as me (at least until I became an upperclassman and took a bunch of honors and AP stuff), so when the teacher assigned me to that same bunch of idiots yet again, I just met with them after class and said "One of two things is gonna happen with this. Either I'm getting moved to a different group or if that's not possible, I'll just take an F and not participate. My grade can handle one F, and I'm not going to put up with doing these losers' work for them any more."

I got moved. The guy I traded with was just as useless as the rest of that lot, and their group wound up not doing the project entirely. Figures...

Long story short, let the teacher know if your group sucks. If you're on good terms with your teacher and know how to talk them into things like this then it won't be a problem.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

well... i hate it when that person do that although he actually has the ability to help.

but i cant understand the other type that just cant do it. ive been in that situation plenty of times. having such low self confidence makes you to be scared to do anything so you do nothing. and when you do something your too nervous and mess things up. when its a person that actually wants to help i understand them and try to be more understanding, letting them know that its ok to fail and that it can just be fixed. i do that because that would be how i want someone to be with me.

i know how this feels (i cant even make my own sandwitch XP) so being useless might be alittle annoying for the other person but it can really make someone depressed if he wants to please people.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

Luckily, this only happens to me when it's small projects that only take the class period to work on, so if they don't do anything, I can manage on my own. But usually they all just sit there and talk or watch me as I work.

But with big projects I always feel like I'm the useless person, even if I do more work or contribute the big/good ideas, I never really quite understood that.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I'm more for the fun. I am not smart but I'm good with my hands. But all of our projects have to be done on PC or paper so I have nothing on my usefullnes with hands.
Most of the time I just give the other people stuff they need, tell jokes or steal ideas from other groups,

fighter23
fighter23
395 posts
Nomad

Whenever I get stuck with a "useless partner" I will make them work and say to them if you don't do this I will ask the teacher if I can work alone and then the teacher will ask why and then I will refer back to you not doing anything. Then the blames on you, so get to work. Also not so you think I am a strict person that is only if I am working one on one. In a big group I usually make people laugh, but I get work done while I do it.

Showing 46-60 of 72