ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: December 14, 2010 -- yet another release date

142 32056
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Our next beta release, code named Falchion, will launch on Monday, December 6, 2010.

The standard times apply, and are all in Pacific Standard Time, which is where Los Angeles, California is. To convert it, you can visit this time zone site.

At 9am, I'll be marking all NEW beta registrations to receive their invite codes later in the day. Any beta registrations that come in after 9am will have to wait for our next release on December 20th.

We'll be doing lots of internal testing before we roll out any code to the live beta site, and as usual, I will post our progress on my twitter feed.

In the afternoon, when we feel the code base is tested enough, we'll send our next beta newsletter to ALL beta users. This newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing.

The newsletter Email you'll receive with your invite code will explain what we need from you as beta testers.

Once that newsletter is sent, I'll send out any invite codes for new beta signups up to 9am that morning.

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks.

The full details of what's going in the beta release, and what major pieces of the site are still missing will be detailed in the newsletter.

• 142 Replies
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I hope everyone on the AG team is feeling better with there colds.
I'm somewhat excited for this next release.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

In case you guys need to defend the office my uncle actually builds bases for the Canadian Army, just send me the blueprints and all spammers will be chased,shot and eaten!!!! XD

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the well wishes, both James and I are feeling much better after the weekend.

We're just waiting on a last-second change by James/Larry and the new code will go out.

Keep in mind that our activity stream is in BETA, things may break, and we may need to clear comments and messages from time to time to fix bugs. Messages are limited to 1,024 bytes, which is about the size of one really long paragraph.

Not all armatars are showing up for users on your Followers list, but they'll fill in over time.

Right now, we have all active "friends" from AG2 set up as who you are "following" on AG3, and your profile will now show you who is following you (and will see every message you write). Real two-way Friendships will show up in a future release.

Also, a slight bit of bad news. The database storing the activities/messages is in need of an upgrade, and until we know how well it's going to hold up against 500+ users sending status messages and comments, etc., we're going to need to hold off sending new invite codes to users. Hopefully we'll know how well it's doing by the end of the week and get invite codes out then.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Keep in mind that our activity stream is in BETA, things may break

I forsee the activity steam being the most worked on D:
Matrix159
Matrix159
337 posts
Nomad

Is it just my computer or is the beta page in that form where you only see things in a list and pictures show up as "?".

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Yeah I also took a peek and the same thing happened. I suggest to wait until it's fully released!

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

this is so exciting to see on the twitter page how close you are, and then what you are doing, and what needs to be fixed. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!! i can't wait!

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I'm going to be needing friends for the activity stream to be useful? As of right now I don't have anyone on my Armor Games friend list.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Reton8, adding friends on AG2 right now won't do anything. We're using a static list we imported to AG3 a week or so ago.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

CSS is fixed. Page should look normal now.

Of course, activity feeds will only work when you log in.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Are those Wizard of Oz quotes I see?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

They've been there since Claymore Avorne where've you been? XD

Oh and those are filler quotes I guess.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Hmm.. The followers features is very nifty. I'm online at the moment and the bugs have been rolling in.

Matrix159
Matrix159
337 posts
Nomad

Well, it seems like I don't have any followers... Or is that a bug. I don't know. =P

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The followers lists were imported over a week ago, and is not a live, constant sync of what's on AG2. It was taken from who you currently follow, and split into two lists. For every user, we track two lists:
- Who I Follow, and
- Who's Following Me

So for everyone you follow on AG2 as of a week or two ago, you were added to that person's "Who's Following Me" list, and we also kept track on your own profile of that person in a "Who I Follow" list.

We have a minor bug right now when you view your own dashboard that makes it seem like you have no followers. We hope to have that fixed soon.

Showing 91-105 of 142