ForumsThe TavernHow safe is your City/Community?

76 14127
Snowe
Snowe
15 posts
Nomad

Just interested to see what some people have to say.

I live in Moscow, and apparently we have one of the highest murder rates per 100,000 people in the world, but i really dont see it, ive never been robbed or assaulted, the only thing you need here is a spine and youll be completely fine, if you walk looking as small as you can and scared though id steer clear from many parts of the city... Sure it has its dangers but what major city dosent?

• 76 Replies
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Apparently my city is one of the most dangerous cities in Canada, but I've never actually noticed anything.

Xavier1
Xavier1
671 posts
Nomad

I live in melbourne, Australia. People are always complaining about the violence and it's definitely there. I get smacked up at least a few times a year but some ******* or another.

KFK
KFK
1,051 posts
Nomad

If you don't want crime, I would recommend Svalbard, and island belonging to Norway.

Where I live it's pretty calm, only one major thing like a robbery per month or something. Though people got scared after some guy blew himself up in the city center (I live in Stockholm, Sweden).

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

I live in Beirut so people (including me) are afraid that we go into a war again. The area I live is calm but according to this link:

The crime rate in Lebanon is moderate, but both car theft and home break-ins occur. Violent crime and sexual assault are rare, although petty theft -- such as pick pocketing and purse snatching -- is common in crowded public areas. Police are responsive but often unable to affect a positive outcome. There are no special concerns with regard to targeted victimization of U.S. citizens in scams or confidence schemes. There have, however, been recent kidnappings of Lebanese-American women by their Lebanese relatives in an effort to force these women into marriage.

There have also been recent incidents involving a theft ring that seems to be targeting foreigners using service cars. Service cars are privately owned vehicles bearing red license plates that act as public transportation for multiple passengers at one time. Typically, the passenger is picked up by a service car that already contains two people (the driver and one passenger). The driver then takes the victim to a more isolated area or the freeway where the first âpassengerâ robs the second passenger by threatening him/her with a gun. U.S. citizens are advised to be wary of these service cars and to carry the number of a reputable taxi company in case of emergencies.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I live in Athens. Its mostly a safe city, however a couple of times I had to slap around some wannabe muggers.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

I live near Chicago (relatively) and whenever you turn on the news, the top 5 things you hear are:
1:Shooting on South/ West Side
2:Public figure accused of [insert crime here]
3:Cook county taxes to go up (I don't care, because I don't live in Cook county)
4:It's expected to snow up to a foot this weekend (Never as much as they say)
5:Happy birthday baby beluga!
So yeah, I don't like watching the news a lot because it's like I can almost predict what's going to be on.

Pedro97
Pedro97
1,868 posts
Jester

I live in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, one of the most uneven and irregular cities all over the world. The crime is all around the city and there are SERIOUS social differences around here. My mom doesn't even let me go out in the street by myself. That is frustrating.

logantheking
logantheking
254 posts
Scribe

According to the FBI, I am in one of the top 10 safest cities with more then a 100K people in the USA. There are some areas that are worse in the city but overall it is pretty safe.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Eh, I'm in the second worst precinct in Phoenix. And that's rather bad, because Phoenix is rather low on the list of 'safest cities'. However, I've personally never had any issues in my area.

jroyster22
jroyster22
755 posts
Peasant

I live in one of the safest cities in America! But to answer your question, I don't think you really know how safe your community is unti it has been tested?

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Before I moved, I was in like the 8th safest city in America.

I think the reason it was safe was because there was a surplus of old people.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I live in Mississauga, beside Toronto (Canada).

For us, there are crimes from time to time, a lot of car accidents. So at-least 1-2 crimes a week.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

I live in a very safe city just based on what I see daily.

~RR~

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,821 posts
Shepherd

I live in a super-safe small town 8D

Seriously, there've only been two or three murders ever, and just a few more robberies and such.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

ive never been robbed or assaulted

Have you been murdered?

but for your question, i live in a quite neighborhood with only like ten people and were all friends and i havnt seen anyone be assaulted, robbed or murdered (except this one guy beats his wife i think), so id say pretty safe.
Showing 1-15 of 76