The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernShould under 11's be banned from the Internet?

71 15258
DaoGao
DaoGao
220 posts
Nomad

This is quite a fiery discussion wherever it is. What do you think? Give a reason why too.

• 71 Replies
Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,747 posts
Nomad

No, I don't think they should be. Why the heck would you ban 11 year-olds from using the internet?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Why under eleven? Anyway, no. There are tools to monitor a child's internet usage, so it shouldn't matter if you're worried about excessive violence and sexuality. If you don't see the obvious benefits of the internet when it comes to education, you should be re-evaluating your intelligence.

Even if you're against children on the web, you ought to see how having this efficient and quick method of disseminating information helps with learning. Yes, I know you can argue that relying on it can make you lazy, but it's how you use it that counts.

You can also trust your children, which isn't usually the case though.

Also, if you're a Luddite, you shouldn't be on here at all.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

I really can't think a reason because the Internet should be a privilege for 11+ people. Also, I don't think all the kids sites of the internet would appreciate that.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Another thing, the real world has plenty of mature stuff too, but I don't think children have been banned for the world, right?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Errr... what? Why did you choose just under eleven years of age?
Also, no. There are tools on each computer that a parent/elder sibling can put on them so that the younger child/sibling can't go to certain sites and it restricts them from what they can see.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

They need it to learn and do their homework

What do you mean with learn? What could they learn from the internet?
I can understand with homework how you could use Google to help you. There are also programs that you install and you can do your schoolwork from home on the internet.
BluePortal
BluePortal
69 posts
Nomad

Definitely not.

In many cases it can be used for learning and it can spark interests in subjects.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

What do you mean with learn? What could they learn from the internet?

You can learn from the internet, like I did. I usually don't bother learning the specific things I learn in school (in the scholastic way of learning things that is), instead looking at internet encyclopedias. I admit, everyone usually gets distracted by everything else on there. That destroys learning for quite a number of people.

As for needing, you don't need the internet to learn. Until books are wiped from the face of the Earth, you don't absolutely need the internet to learn in school. Of course, I'm talking about things that don't inherently require the internet. Also, you could learn about the internet without having the internet but that would be foolhardy.

In no way am I implying that the internet itself is detrimental to learning. I don't deny the advantages the internet provides. Hmm.

Another thing, the real world has plenty of mature stuff too, but I don't think children have been banned for the world, right?

Well, being exposed to something in reality isn't an excuse to be lax with the internet in my opinion.
ANDYELECTRO
ANDYELECTRO
17 posts
Nomad

they should be banned from Xbox live! grinds my gears when you have a pre-pubescent dweeb screaming down the mic making noise for the sake of it. On 18 rated games no less!

Kusic
Kusic
184 posts
Peasant

They should be banned from facebook, because they use it for games and someone can take advantage of their private informations

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I thought you had to be thirteen to have a Facebook account anyway.

darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Ha you quoted me wrong. But yeah, they do lie. Most of my friends had Facebook when they were 11 or 12. I didn't good for me.

Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

I have a 5 year old person in my house that has a laptop to himself ._.

SuperRaven
SuperRaven
128 posts
Nomad

No, some games are MADE for people under 11, such as Jumpstart Online, and Free Realms and PBS kids, so your just making little people have less fun if you do that. plus me. oh and to add to that list, ROBLOX.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Only from chat sites. Also, that whole idea is stupid. Even going onto things called 'adult sites' can be some sort of educational... i'm sorry, what was I saying? XD

Children are being abused and starved to death in many parts ofthe world and yet middle aged mothers are worried that little Timmy will become a psychopathic murdering rapist from playing games and watching videos. Sure media has an influence, but it is kind of the parents fault for not teaching what is truly right and wrong. Unless the kid really does have something wrong in the head, then it's hardly the internets fault is it?

The internet is educating people at a faster rate, communication can be live, instantaneous around the world.

There is nothing wrong with letting under elevens going on the internet.

Showing 1-15 of 71