ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157319
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Would life be possible in orbit of a white giant?

The most likely spectral class of star that could support an Earth like planet are F, G (like our sun) and K. So in other words yeah.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Despite the massive heat output associated with a great mass at high temperatures?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Despite the massive heat output associated with a great mass at high temperatures?

because it's so large and massive the habitable zone for an Earth like planet would be much further away.
ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

Flag

Would life be possible in orbit of a white giant?

What is a white giant? In all my courses on Astronomy I have never heard of that term. Do you mean big hot blue stars? The very large ones are so hot that yes, they appear white in the visible spectrum (Because they radiate almost even amounts of the visible spectrum).

Oh read the Wikipedia article. Guess it's just one of those public names, but not actually used in science.

Actually the rate of expansion is increasing.

Believed to be. Don't shut out the other theories, as a lot of the proof also points to a maximum size.

If black holes just keep sucking in energy and matter will the entire universe be sucked into them eventually?

Black holes do SUCK in stuff, as in the movies. It is possible to orbit black holes. Think of how the planets orbit the Sun, and you get a better idea. Only objects that pass the Schwarzschild radius are sucked in permanently, and usually its only a few kilometers big. Compared to the size of the universe, it is actually VERY hard to fall into a blackhole.

no because they eventually fade away, and the universe is expanding at such a fast rate,

If Hawkings is right, then blackholes disintegrate after a few trillion years. That is pretty similar to eternity on our time scales.

Here is a pic of the believed habitable zone of certain star sizes (As in a similar limate to our planet):

http://media4.obspm.fr/exoplanets/pages_vie/images/figures/zone_habitable.gif

Don't forget though that many other factors allowed our planet to harbor life other than temperature.
ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

Black holes do SUCK in stuff, as in the movies.

Ooops forgot to add the word NOT in there. SO the sentence looks like this:

Black holes do NOT SUCK in stuff like in the movies.

Realized I've never seen a movie with a black hole. So blackholes do not suck you in like the media makes you believe.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Black holes do suck you in from an infinite distance, just as anything with mass does, but it is a negligible effect. The Schwarzschild radius and event horizon are just stages at which the effect becomes impossible to resist.

lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

infinite distance

I abhor that term. I always have this silly question at the back of my head - Can we "actually" touch anything?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Can we "actually" touch anything?

Technically no. The repelling forces will prevent it at the atomic level.
lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

Technically no. The repelling forces will prevent it at the atomic level.

Precisely. So, what is it that we feel?
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

We feel the repelling forces aforementioned.

lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

We feel the repelling forces aforementioned.

Indeed, but taking into consideration ideal conditions, if the I continued to decrease the distance between, say, my hand and a book, would not he magnitude of electrostatic force approach infinity?
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

You forgot to consider the push on the other end of what you are pushing. Long before you got to that magnitude, the book would be flattened.

lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

You forgot to consider the push on the other end of what you are pushing. Long before you got to that magnitude, the book would be flattened.

Newtonian mechanics breakdown on an atomic scale.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

You are forgetting what you are doing. You are pushing a book. Since there is something on the other side of the book, you are compressing it. Once the compressing force gets to a certain point, the book will be crushed flat.

lightcrux
lightcrux
622 posts
Peasant

Once the compressing force gets to a certain point, the book will be crushed flat.

Under ideal conditions there will be no compression i.e. the book is perfectly rigid.
Showing 901-915 of 1019