ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157064
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Yes, but ideal conditions never exist.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

My teacher told me that the universes energy is decreasing and will decrease to nothing eventually. So, how? Where does it all go?

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

My teacher told me that the universes energy is decreasing and will decrease to nothing eventually. So, how? Where does it all go?

Here are my theories:
*It is being converted to matter.
*There is a leak in the universe and the energy is pouring into another universe.
*It is complete bull.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I think that the idea is currently that the energy is being converted into matter allowing for the expansion of the universe, eventually the universe will start compress and then explode outwards causing the big bang once more.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I think that the idea is currently that the energy is being converted into matter allowing for the expansion of the universe, eventually the universe will start compress and then explode outwards causing the big bang once more.

Very good, Q. Would you suppose that was the cause of the prior Big Bang?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

On a subatomic scale matter is energy. What we are seeing is essentially a cooling of the universe, which will likely end in the universe entering into heat death.

I think that the idea is currently that the energy is being converted into matter allowing for the expansion of the universe,

No the conversion of matter/energy isn't what's causing the expansion of the universe.

eventually the universe will start compress and then explode outwards causing the big bang once more.

Given the likely shape of the universe (determined flat within a 2% margin of error) the Big Crunch is not a likely event. It will likely just continue to expand and enter into heat death.

It's a bit long but explains the universe in more detail.
'A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss, AAI 2009
Foraker
Foraker
101 posts
Nomad

Given the likely shape of the universe (determined flat within a 2% margin of error) the Big Crunch is not a likely event. It will likely just continue to expand and enter into heat death.

Another theory is the Big Rip.

I'm thinking that the heat death only is the actually best theory.
If youre thinking, that we are existing in a Multiverse (like I do), then the chance for the heat death decreases.

Also, not long ago, I read that the universe is loosing energy.
When something absorbs energy from the universe, then the expansion is going to stop and reverse some day. Spacetime and the expansion are also nothing more than energy.

Like planets, suns and galaxies, the universe will not exist for infinite time.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If youre thinking, that we are existing in a Multiverse (like I do), then the chance for the heat death decreases.

Only if we are receiving more energy from these other dimensions. Even then the expansion may counteract this.

Also, not long ago, I read that the universe is loosing energy.

The energy isn't really going anywhere, it's just being converted into matter as things cool.

When something absorbs energy from the universe, then the expansion is going to stop and reverse some day. Spacetime and the expansion are also nothing more than energy.

What we see happening is the opposite. The expansion of the universe is actually speeding up.
Foraker
Foraker
101 posts
Nomad

The energy isn't really going anywhere, it's just being converted into matter as things cool.

Why are then all galaxies and clusters moving into the same direction?
Isn't there the possiblity, that this means, energy gets really absorbed by something (for example a giant black hole, bigger than the ones in the centre of every galaxy)?

I also heard the theory, that the hawking-radiation and black energy are the same thing. Maybe that's why the expansion is speeding up, which I already knew .

I'm interested in your oppinion about this post, because I love this topic!
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Why are then all galaxies and clusters moving into the same direction?

They aren't, we see all of these galaxies all moving away from us regardless of their position to us except for the Andromeda galaxy which is on a collision course to our own galaxy. If they were all moving in the same direction we would be seeing more galaxies moving toward us. Also black holes don't remove energy from the universe. They do eventually spit back out everything that gets sucked in.
Foraker
Foraker
101 posts
Nomad

Also black holes don't remove energy from the universe. They do eventually spit back out everything that gets sucked in.

Isn't that the hawking-radiation?

Got a link for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U&feature=player_embedded

Don't know if you already have seen that video.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Andromeda galaxy which is on a collision course to our own galaxy.

I was under the thought that is more of a possibility than a fact. The Science Channel had something about Galaxy Collisons, and cited Andromeda. It said that while the Doppler Shift is used to measure the Radial Velocity in respect to the Milky Way, the Transverse Velocity can't be accurately measured.

This site has a good explination, plus a nifty video of a possible collision.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Isn't that the hawking-radiation?

Yeah I think so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation#Black_hole_evaporation

I was under the thought that is more of a possibility than a fact.

Either way it's the exception and is moving toward us instead of away like the rest of the galaxies. From what I have read it seemed pretty definitive.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Either way it's the exception and is moving toward us instead of away like the rest of the galaxies.

I heard on a channel, that eventually they'll collide and the milky way wil combine with it to form another galaxy. Wait... what happens when two black holes collide?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

what happens when two black holes collide?

Good question, here's a link answering this question. Apparently the recoil and kick each other away. One will get a boost from the other. The way it sounds it seems like what happens when two spinning tops battle each other, but on a massive cosmic scale.

http://www.universetoday.com/13002/what-happens-when-supermassive-black-holes-collide/
Showing 916-930 of 1019