ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Armatars

256 61248
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone,

Since we have a LOT of duplicate threads on Armatars, I'm creating this sticky post where users can discuss ideas about armatars.

We've stated several times that Dan is in charge of armatars at the moment, and that if you want new armatars to go let him know. We have several new ideas for armatars on AG3 that we'll discuss in this thread as we work on it.

For starters, we ARE going to allow custom armatars at some point. I'm not sure if it'll be there when AG3 launches, but it's a priority. We'll have strict requirements, probably something like being a member for more than 6 months, and have a certain number of points/achievements or a reputation level of a certain rank or something. The specifics are still being worked out. One idea is that at one level (points/achievements/reputation), you could upload an armatar that only you could use. At another level, you could unlock it for your friends to use. At another level, your followers, and at the highest level, make it available for anyone on the site. We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.

In AG3, all users will have a unique URL for their armatar, which they can use on other sites if they choose. We'll have a link on your dashboard that will show you what the URL is or how to download a high-quality version of the image.

All armatar uploads will be heavily scrutinized by human eyes before they go live on the site. Users who abuse the system by uploading an image against our Terms and Conditions and other rules and guidelines about images will be permanently banned from the site.

Anyhow, if you have other ideas, questions, suggestions, please place them here. If you see other users asking about AG3 armatars, please direct them back to this forum thread.

• 256 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

For the custom armatars, if I were to draw a Darkrai, because of my username, would that be considered "bad" since Darkrai is a Pokemon and all?

It makes quite a nice armatar, at least.
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/AG%20Armatar/darkrai3.jpg
But, I guess the copyright/trademark business is what they are going to figure out, just like they will have to figure out what their stand on "google images" is.

I also assume that they are not going to discard the current armatars, considering they otherwise would have to build up an entirely new batch from scratch, and pay some artist to do so before they launch.
It seems easier to keep the ones already in place, and then just allow users of a proper 'fame-level' to upload their own to the batch.
Considering we are most likely all going to end up on the same level when the site launches, no one would be able to upload anything for quite a while.
IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

series of checkboxes

Yes. Checkboxes are fun, and it means the person has to do a bit more thinking when they post an image.

I like checkboxes.

Anyway, I think that uploading armatars could be a good idea. I like it. I also think there should be the same Armatar system as now, in case a user doesn't want to upload a picture.
duhcornmaster
duhcornmaster
64 posts
Nomad

i heard that you can upload an armitar pic that you drew and if it's approved you can have it be made into an armatar. is this true or just a rumor?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

i heard that you can upload an armitar pic that you drew and if it's approved you can have it be made into an armatar. is this true or just a rumor?

From first page, by Cormyn:

we ARE going to allow custom armatars at some point. I'm not sure if it'll be there when AG3 launches, but it's a priority. We'll have strict requirements, probably something like being a member for more than 6 months, and have a certain number of points/achievements or a reputation level of a certain rank or something. The specifics are still being worked out. One idea is that at one level (points/achievements/reputation), you could upload an armatar that only you could use. At another level, you could unlock it for your friends to use. At another level, your followers, and at the highest level, make it available for anyone on the site. We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.
Bold added by me.

Other than that, the so-called "Seasonals", armatars made by other users, were a reality back a year, but is no longer an event of AG.
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Cenere, that six months... Does time you that users were in AG2 count?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Cenere, that six months... Does time you that users were in AG2 count?

I am assuming that it will, I can't remember if it is passed over, though. And I am unsure how they will go about with the reputation, so I assume all users' reputation will start at the same level.
So it might take some time after they have implemented it, before anyone will be able to submit armatars on their own.

oops i just sent in a message. sorry, if you want to look at the pic it's fine but i didn't realize that that wasn't going on anymore =(

I doubt it will be used, considering all the user-made armatar was based on the contests. The only user, who have a batch up is Zophia, and I think it was mainly due to it being a batch (as well as well drawn art), which meant they could be fitted in with the others easily for unlocking.
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

I know this is talked before too, but I would love to put animated gif.s to armatars.

daniel1570
daniel1570
64 posts
Nomad

what about each game has its own armatar
(for example each game of the elephant series has a different elephant like armatar)
and when you beat the game or achieve something in the game
you unlock that armatar
I think that thats a REALLY good idea.

BlackSkullDragon
BlackSkullDragon
161 posts
Peasant

(for example each game of the elephant series has a different elephant like armatar)
and when you beat the game or achieve something in the game
you unlock that armatar

This has been suggested before and it was also discussed in the first page of this thread. This is what cormyn said about it in another thread:
One idea we've had is that unlocking an achievement in a game will make the game icon available to you as an Armatar. So if you play a perfect Exit Path game or something, you'd get the Exit Path icon as your armatar.
Whether that's permanent or temporary, or we just make it available to you whenever you want it, we haven't decided. But that's one of several plans we have for Armatars.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I would love to put animated gif.s to armatars.

Likely won't ever happen.

Thanks, BSD, you summed it up nicely.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

that six months... Does time you that users were in AG2 count?

The 6-month idea is still in discussion and is meant as an example of the kind of requirements we could impose to unlock certain things on the site.

But yes, time as an AG2 user would count.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Custom armatars sounds great, but only if a detailed program was used. Perhaps you could link facebook pictures to Armor Games?

arviezur
arviezur
2 posts
Shepherd

D'like to have more &quoticturesque" armatars,not just simply pictures.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

But yes, time as an AG2 user would count.

That's good. Otherwise a major portion of AG users would have to wait for a while.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, it wouldn't make sense to start the timer when AG3 launches.

Keep in mind, however, that the idea of "must be a member for 6 months" is just an example. It's not a for-sure requirement for ANYTHING on AG3 at this time.

Showing 16-30 of 256