ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Armatars

256 61250
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone,

Since we have a LOT of duplicate threads on Armatars, I'm creating this sticky post where users can discuss ideas about armatars.

We've stated several times that Dan is in charge of armatars at the moment, and that if you want new armatars to go let him know. We have several new ideas for armatars on AG3 that we'll discuss in this thread as we work on it.

For starters, we ARE going to allow custom armatars at some point. I'm not sure if it'll be there when AG3 launches, but it's a priority. We'll have strict requirements, probably something like being a member for more than 6 months, and have a certain number of points/achievements or a reputation level of a certain rank or something. The specifics are still being worked out. One idea is that at one level (points/achievements/reputation), you could upload an armatar that only you could use. At another level, you could unlock it for your friends to use. At another level, your followers, and at the highest level, make it available for anyone on the site. We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.

In AG3, all users will have a unique URL for their armatar, which they can use on other sites if they choose. We'll have a link on your dashboard that will show you what the URL is or how to download a high-quality version of the image.

All armatar uploads will be heavily scrutinized by human eyes before they go live on the site. Users who abuse the system by uploading an image against our Terms and Conditions and other rules and guidelines about images will be permanently banned from the site.

Anyhow, if you have other ideas, questions, suggestions, please place them here. If you see other users asking about AG3 armatars, please direct them back to this forum thread.

• 256 Replies
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

It will, of course, have to go through a screening process to make sure it follows our rules, etc.

Would the screening process be automated, or would it be people? And if people, how many, and who? And how would a machine know if it's OK or not?
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

I know I don't know for sure but I would hope it's automated, because if not, that would be a lousy job for someone, plus it would take rather long considering there's tons of users.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but still, how does a machine know? I guess the user having a bad armatar would be reported by all the other users on the site though.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but still, how does a machine know? I guess the user having a bad armatar would be reported by all the other users on the site though.

lol, like 500 users saying "thaboss has a bad armatar!!!" lol, just kidding. But my original question was, Is it possible for there to be animated Armatars?
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

I don't know, it might slow down the website a little bit, but probably nothing too serious.(This is just a guess).

ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

it would take rather long considering there's tons of users.

Yeah, and if people changed it more than once a day, it would be much hassle for those people doing it unless, it's done by an automated system.
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

Yes, so it would be better to have it automated, but

How would the computer know what is bad or not?
ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

Just depends on the system that's used, perhaps if the computer think it's bad, it could be send to a mod/admin via email and then that person would look at it to confirm it, if the computer thinks it's alright, then I guess that'll just be it.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

but how would it be automated? computers are as only as smart as their creator wants them to be. Like, take the check-out line of a grocery store: When you use a credit card you got to sign the little machine you slide your card through, but thats where it stops, it doesn't check the name you write, it just takes it. I asked a lady if it knew what was wrote, and she sais "Nope, you could even write your name as Mickey Mouse and it would take it." So now i'm concerened that if it's automated, could it reject a Armatar, even if it was something as plain as white paper?

Batgrumpy
Batgrumpy
33 posts
Nomad

I think there should be armatars added like every 50 points instead of every 100 or 1000, that would be kool, plus it would be nice to see some new ones!

exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

I think my computer did that because I mentioned something that happened to be a URL. That happens sometimes with me.

ManiacalMind
ManiacalMind
176 posts
Nomad

I think it will work out alright, let's just wait and find out.

@Bat
I don't think they're going to be adding some new ones any time soon, just because of all the work that they're putting into the new site, and the chances of them added every 50 points is unlikely, since there would need to be an immense amount of them available to chose from them.

exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

And, if they will be added every fifty points there would probably be only one in each of the points it shows. And, it will probably only go on until 2500, which would suck for the people who have 10000+.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

I don't think they're going to be adding some new ones any time soon, just because of all the work that they're putting into the new site, and the chances of them added every 50 points is unlikely, since there would need to be an immense amount of them available to chose from them.

Yeah, i agree with that. I wonder if they are going to add any other Armatars. Like Chineese ones, Vikings, Romans, and such.
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

Some armatars I think they should add are ones that you make, but you need to be of certain points to unlock it. It would be cool to make your own, and there would be an incentive to make more points.

Showing 46-60 of 256