ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Armatars

256 61242
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Hi everyone,

Since we have a LOT of duplicate threads on Armatars, I'm creating this sticky post where users can discuss ideas about armatars.

We've stated several times that Dan is in charge of armatars at the moment, and that if you want new armatars to go let him know. We have several new ideas for armatars on AG3 that we'll discuss in this thread as we work on it.

For starters, we ARE going to allow custom armatars at some point. I'm not sure if it'll be there when AG3 launches, but it's a priority. We'll have strict requirements, probably something like being a member for more than 6 months, and have a certain number of points/achievements or a reputation level of a certain rank or something. The specifics are still being worked out. One idea is that at one level (points/achievements/reputation), you could upload an armatar that only you could use. At another level, you could unlock it for your friends to use. At another level, your followers, and at the highest level, make it available for anyone on the site. We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.

In AG3, all users will have a unique URL for their armatar, which they can use on other sites if they choose. We'll have a link on your dashboard that will show you what the URL is or how to download a high-quality version of the image.

All armatar uploads will be heavily scrutinized by human eyes before they go live on the site. Users who abuse the system by uploading an image against our Terms and Conditions and other rules and guidelines about images will be permanently banned from the site.

Anyhow, if you have other ideas, questions, suggestions, please place them here. If you see other users asking about AG3 armatars, please direct them back to this forum thread.

• 256 Replies
kiensho
kiensho
2 posts
Nomad

the old ones should be available and there could be some exclusive for developers and people who build their points with more than forum comments, comments and game rating

mechninja
mechninja
1,577 posts
Nomad

I think we should have a gallery with a bunch of armatars that you've unlocked,then you can type in a word like dragon and all the armatars in that category would appear.I also think we should have sections like Custom Armatars,New Armatars,Favorite Armatars and stuff like that.

Erico27
Erico27
16 posts
Shepherd

[quote]I think we should have a gallery with a bunch of armatars that you've unlocked,then you can type in a word like dragon and all the armatars in that category would appear.I also think we should have sections like Custom Armatars,New Armatars,Favorite Armatars and stuff like that.

I think that is a great idea! I also think that every so often the moderators and administators should just make armatars by themselves for people to use.

Ruffyl
Ruffyl
73 posts
Nomad

One idea we've had is that unlocking an achievement in a game will make the game icon available to you as an Armatar. So if you play a perfect Exit Path game or something, you'd get the Exit Path icon as your armatar.

I really like this idea. Your favourite game would become part of your AG identity and this would enable you to help promote it.

We've also discussed the idea of letting our most artistic users create entire *sets* of armatars for the site.

I like this too. Perhaps you could unlock the sets progressively with AG3 achievements just as you currently unlock armatars with AP. It's a great feature of the current site although I think the unlock requirements need a lot of tweaking.

Although it's natural and inevitable that most people will want custom avatars, in a way, I regret that. The armatars are well designed, they make the site look very distinctive, and last but not least I don't have to look at any animated GIFs which I hate. With custom armatars I think it's likely that AG will lose some of its unique identity. But ultimately, freedom rules.
TheGr8est
TheGr8est
704 posts
Nomad

One idea we've had is that unlocking an achievement in a game will make the game icon available to you as an Armatar. So if you play a perfect Exit Path game or something, you'd get the Exit Path icon as your armatar.

a gr8 idea that i also thought about, just i dont think every game can have its own icon. If they could it would be awesome, but right now i think that in the very least they should make armatars for games like exit path gemcraft crush the castle and other populars.
greethan
greethan
123 posts
Nomad

My idea is you can use GIMP (Free Photoshop) or Photoshop to create yourself an avatar. (like, writing you name in some font under a picture of, say your favorite football team's logo [that you drew])

exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

I have heard that there was a way that you could access armatars even if you don't have the required points. Does anyone know how to do that?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I have heard that there was a way that you could access armatars even if you don't have the required points. Does anyone know how to do that?

That's called exploiting the site and you can get permanently banned for such a thing. I'm sure some people know how to do it, but they will not share it with you for fear of being banned. Also, you shouldn't try to do it yourself since you can get permanently banned.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

There are protections in place from allowing that to happen any more, and as GoM said, you'll get banned for doing it.

AquaRescue
AquaRescue
88 posts
Peasant

For the armatar's could we upload pictures?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, the only way to submit an armatar will be to upload it to our site. It will, of course, have to go through a screening process to make sure it follows our rules, etc.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

Can there be animated Armatars? like, say, even those this is a Pokemon, it's just an example, I want this guy (animated Rayquaza) for my profile pic. Will it still be animated? or will it be still? Or, would I even be able to use it at all?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/352/3/9/rayquaza_animated_sprite_by_t7fu8-d353x00.gif

JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

Pokemon Armatars is avery good idea. I think Fallen Sky also agree.

monkeydude2
monkeydude2
11 posts
Nomad

ya, i think there should be a wide range of armatars so that almost everyone can find something that they love

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

I don't see why it wouldn't be animated as long as you upload it as a .gif.

But who knows, maybe they'll saw it slows it up or something.

Showing 31-45 of 256