ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465500
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Killing, stealing, and being jelous are enjoyable?

Sex, masturbation, etc, is what he meant Dair. Only mentally ill people find killing enjoyable. Also, most people steal out of greed or necessity, neither of which are enjoyable.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
You're referring to the known problem of how to understand the Trinity as One and Three at once. These are both correct, as we can't perceive the correct set of relation within the Trinity. Jesus and Father are One God, but one is the Father and one is the Son, and a son is never greater than his father.
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
This was not directed towards Israeli, but towards Assur, and that nation sinned as a whole, so suffers as a whole.

With Gospels, it's normal in a case of an overwhelming event to remember only some parts of it, so they all remembered different parts of Jesus's sufferings. I'd expect there could be more words that Jesus spoke while on the Cross, which didn't make them into Gospels, but this is only a thought of mine.
Next, the prostantism lets people intepret the bible themselves (hence why there are over 500+ sects of prostantism) rather then letting the church intepret it for them.
That's why they don't stand as a whole and will eventually dissipate or assimilate.
Next, the catholic church grants itself powers, like saying the pope is infallible on matters of god, which is akin to saying the pope is on par with Jesus.
E1337, you should check the sources of this, and explanation of this. Since you don't believe in God (anymore?) it's normal for you to say "granting itself powers". You should also know that the Pope is Christ's deputy on Earth, so in some cases he can say something on behalf of Christ, and won't sin.
The reason is, if you believe the bible is the word of god, then god advocates slavery, genocide, etc.
And, did you forget about what is priority, again?
How about a priest reference.

If we are to go with vespers beliefs then isn't this just a human's claim of God's way, thus blasphemy?
A priest reference can be verified, and a bishop's reference is Church teaching reference, and Church teaching is backed up by God to remain correct in all times.
Your views sound very much more protestant then Catholic.
Are you familiar with Catholic views?
So by that logic, it is OK for me to kill my own children.
First, your own children are not only your own, but their mother's own. Second, God also started souls, and every human has a soul, born or not. A human can't make a soul, so it's not OK for you to kill your own children, because you can't end a soul's mortal life by your desire.
So what tells you "Thought shalt not kill" is good? Do you just go "Well, I used to think killing was Ok, but then I read the bible and was like 'Wow! Killing is actually bad!"? I doupt it. Why do you follow some of the more logical ones (Like don't kill [Though this is a pretty stiff rule to fallow]) while saying that some are bad, like when the Bible tells you to stone homosexuals? It is yourself. You are putting your own morals, like killing is bad, into the book rather than taking anything out of it.
Read about priority first.
Of course this is different from self-defence because letting people kill you is almost never the right solution.

Why not? You get to go to Heaven and they get to be Bubba's "special friend" in prison.
Because then you're permitting them to make a grave sin, since they intend to kill you, and if they do, they could lose their eternal life, and the guilt for this CAN lay partly on your head. So the best approach is to disable but not kill, and not to intend to kill the offender so you won't sin gravely yourself if you accidentally overdo.
Why live a good life here when paradise is one cancer away? Why shouldn't we? Wouldn't the Christians like to see their god?
This is like saying &quotaradise is one suicide away". You should intend to meet God, but you must let God choose time. So if you will get cancer, and then die, while not enforcing death or doing things to make it sooner, this is "one cancer away", and if you will sacrifice your suffering to God, it can make someone else, including people you don't know, come closer to Heaven.
Because religion is the enemy of science.
Religion is just above science, they can coexist.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

A priest reference can be verified, and a bishop's reference is Church teaching reference, and Church teaching is backed up by God to remain correct in all times.

Which is all backed up by... What other people said or wrote!

Because then you're permitting them to make a grave sin, since they intend to kill you, and if they do, they could lose their eternal life, and the guilt for this CAN lay partly on your head.

But that would be taking their free will away.

This is like saying &quotaradise is one suicide away". You should intend to meet God, but you must let God choose time.

Last I checked people dying from cancer wasn't considered a form of suicide.

So if you will get cancer, and then die, while not enforcing death or doing things to make it sooner, this is "one cancer away", and if you will sacrifice your suffering to God, it can make someone else, including people you don't know, come closer to Heaven.

Seeing as medicine can prevent your death and have you hang around here longer instead of being in paradise, why take it? That's the question.

Yeah, because personal opinion and unverifiable claims ALWAYS top something that is based on facts and independently verifiable evidence. >_>
This needs a song.
Pure Imagination
ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

This is exactly what every other religious person thought before their religion went extinct... as all religious beliefs tend to do.
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

^^Yeah, as some guy once said "The number of gods is decreasing. First we had animism, then pantheism and now monotheism. The next logical step is atheism.

Why can't I live in a world where science and religon don't fight?

Because science is logical and religion isn't. Not being logic must have logic to back it up. And since science has done wonders for us and can be proven while religion hasn't and can't I think science and logic are the obvious choices.

That's why they don't stand as a whole and will eventually dissipate or assimilate.

Yeah, believe what a guy in a stupid hat says rather than work it out for yourself. They are both stupid but the DIY method is a bit less stupid.

E1337, you should check the sources of this, and explanation of this. Since you don't believe in God (anymore?) it's normal for you to say "granting itself powers". You should also know that the Pope is Christ's deputy on Earth, so in some cases he can say something on behalf of Christ, and won't sin.

Circular reasoning again. What the pope says is right because the pope says he is right. You have no proof or evidence. Is it even in the bible?

Erm proof please. They can't be verified because out of so many interpretations of the bible why should they be right and no one else.

First, your own children are not only your own, but their mother's own. Second, God also started souls, and every human has a soul, born or not. A human can't make a soul, so it's not OK for you to kill your own children, because you can't end a soul's mortal life by your desire.

You are your memories and experiences. When you die you lose these. There is no reason for a soul to exist since you gain these over time with or without a soul. And what if their mother is dead. And a soul is nothing without a body but a body is something without a soul. I think humans do a better job here.

Because then you're permitting them to make a grave sin, since they intend to kill you, and if they do, they could lose their eternal life, and the guilt for this CAN lay partly on your head. So the best approach is to disable but not kill, and not to intend to kill the offender so you won't sin gravely yourself if you accidentally overdo.

But surely being about to kill someone and killing someone should have the same punishment.

This is like saying &quotaradise is one suicide away". You should intend to meet God, but you must let God choose time. So if you will get cancer, and then die, while not enforcing death or doing things to make it sooner, this is "one cancer away", and if you will sacrifice your suffering to God, it can make someone else, including people you don't know, come closer to Heaven.

But if god let you commit suicide and made you know this would happen it is his fault isn't it.

So is harry potter. As I said earlier religion does nothing for us and can't be proven while science does the opposite. Science has logic and religion doesn't and science is clearly better so why go with religion.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Because science is logical and religion isn't. Not being logic must have logic to back it up. And since science has done wonders for us and can be proven while religion hasn't and can't I think science and logic are the obvious choices.

Science has done good and bad just like religon.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

Let's just compare the times when people were very religious and nobody gave a sh*t about the scientific method. Middle Ages, weren't they great?
Or let's compare very religious countries nowadays and countries that aren't very religious. Do you see any difference?

And I can't remember when science said that mass murder was okay... (Killing of the Inkas, Crusades, burning witches, Inqusition, etc.)
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I mean things like polution, taking carbon out of it's cycle, cutting down rain forests, guns, weapons of mass destruction, tanks, ect...

Of course I do know there are pleanty of great things involving science. Such as kevlar, clean energy, spoons, coats, irrigation systems, water distribution systems, electricity, forks, glue, tape, ect...

My point is there are goods and bads to just about anything you can think of.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

My point is there are goods and bads to just about anything you can think of.

Okay, I agree with you that religion has some positive effects on people. But you can have (most of) these positive effects without religion. It's not needed. Whereas you need science to make the progresses we have done (thanks to science).

And btw: that argument still doesn't make any religion true. Don't we want to know the truth?
cddm95ace
cddm95ace
165 posts
Nomad

Great! Know that Christianity will always be a battle that not everyone will be happy about or agree with. But every challenge that God brings will simply grow you in your relationship with Him, if you hold onto Him throughout the trial. It is important to have a mentor or something, like a paster or parent who can guide you and advise you.

valkery
valkery
1,255 posts
Nomad

It is important to have a mentor or something, like a paster or parent who can guide you and advise you.

Why exactly? Is Christianity so flawed that you need someone who has been brainwashed into thinking it is perfect in every facet telling you that it is perfect in every way?

Seems stupid to me.

Why listen to someone that has the exact same opinion as you and never listen to the people that have a different opinion?
cddm95ace
cddm95ace
165 posts
Nomad

When learning a sport or instrument, don't you have a coach or teacher? Christianity is full of constant growth, and it is very helpful to have someone more mature and experienced and wise to help you grow and learn.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

This is exactly what every other religious person thought before their religion went extinct... as all religious beliefs tend to do.
Well, almost 2000 years and going, you try to make us extinct.
They can't be verified because out of so many interpretations of the bible why should they be right and no one else.
Argument to many, unbacked.
But surely being about to kill someone and killing someone should have the same punishment.
Your law will judge you. Threatening to kill and killing results in different punishment here on Earth in any country, and the former is lesser.
But if god let you commit suicide and made you know this would happen it is his fault isn't it.
It is your fault, as you have the choice to live or die, and choose to die for no reason but your will.
And I can't remember when science said that mass murder was okay... (Killing of the Inkas, Crusades, burning witches, Inqusition, etc.)
Eugenics, nuff said.
Great! Know that Christianity will always be a battle that not everyone will be happy about or agree with. But every challenge that God brings will simply grow you in your relationship with Him, if you hold onto Him throughout the trial. It is important to have a mentor or something, like a paster or parent who can guide you and advise you.
Not a mentor, as mentor's orders are beyond discussion, but an advisor with wisdom exceeding your own. Otherwise, right.
Why listen to someone that has the exact same opinion as you and never listen to the people that have a different opinion?
Who said never? Apostle Paul said "Test everything, keep to the good".
Unless you are gay, have doubts, or, in the case of catholics, are an underage altar boy, then you really don't need a Christian mentor.
Well, you fit under all these... maybe except altar boy. In case a person has doubts, he either will ask others (or God directly), or will assume one side and not ask. In the former case one needs an advice. If one is gay by action, then he's in grave sin already, and needs help to overcome bad ways. If he does not want to ditrch them, let him be outside.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

When learning a sport or instrument, don't you have a coach or teacher? Christianity is full of constant growth, and it is very helpful to have someone more mature and experienced and wise to help you grow and learn.

Don't you have God for that?
qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

OK, I'll accept that science has done some bad things which were mainly from human error but they have SO much for us. And what good did religion ever do us.

There's no have to have a mentor. You could learn from reading or how to videos. And it helps to be able to make money by thinking about it. Unfortunately that never happens.

Well, almost 2000 years and going, you try to make us extinct.

The Romans, Greeks and Egyptians all went on for thousands of years and they are extinct.

Argument to many, unbacked.

Christianity. Unbacked, illogical, no evidence. And if you interpret the bible right why does god let so many others not and if you haven't interpreted the bible right why follow it.

Your law will judge you. Threatening to kill and killing results in different punishment here on Earth in any country, and the former is lesser.

Threatening and actually being about to kill someone are different things.

It is your fault, as you have the choice to live or die, and choose to die for no reason but your will.

God knew exactly what would happen from when he made adam a nd eve so he must've known that what he did would result in you commiting suicide.

Who said never? Apostle Paul said "Test everything, keep to the good".

Test whether god exists or not then.

Well, you fit under all these... maybe except altar boy. In case a person has doubts, he either will ask others (or God directly), or will assume one side and not ask. In the former case one needs an advice. If one is gay by action, then he's in grave sin already, and needs help to overcome bad ways. If he does not want to ditrch them, let him be outside.

Why pray tell is it bad to be gay? That is just homophobia.
Showing 1501-1515 of 4668