ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465438
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

As a full time student, I am calling bull****. The education budget keeps getting slashed, and there are more people fighting for less money.
As a former full time student, and having close friends that study like this, I am calling differences in US education system and Russia's. Still, the issue of education budget being slashed is not limited to US, but this is a different story.
I use any source that is verifiable by other sources and either not influenced with religion

links to a site labeled 40 days of prayers

Are you seriously that naive or just that big of a hypocrit.
Or you have read my phrase incompletely.
Also, give me the solider's unit, I mean, since the story is real, there must be a news article relating to this tale, along with the proper obiturary.
This will be a lot harder to recover, since at the time of 1950 Soviet Union was at the state of Cold War already, after developing a nuclear bomb in 1949. And such documents are normally classified from everyone but military. You might have a better chance retrieving this.
No, I am going by what the data says, which says the most likely candiate is someone living below the poverty line.
You are using statistics, which never apply to a single person, only to a group, and even then there are deviations from factual behavior of the group's members and calculated values. Therefore statistical approach to one person is never right.
In the letter, some angle fellow killed a bunch of "commies" to protect ONE American soldier. A soldier who probably wouldn't have hesitated to kill, and was only in Korea because his government (not his church) put him there.

Why would god take sides at all in a political war? And if he did take sides, why would he side with the capitalists over communists?

Answer: because the letter was written by an American.
Another answer: because communism, being based on materialism, defies God. So anyone who proclaims communism sins gravely, and can expect punishment. And the after-death destiny of those killed by the angel is beyond our scope of view, so they could say "Wow, there is God over there! Oh my they told me lies!" prior to getting killed, which is probably enough of a repentance o avoid Hell.
So basically, we are supposed to recognize god in statistically improbable, yet technically possible events? Isn't that extremely arbitrary?
Hmm. The closer answer is yes, we are supposed to. We should also take time and space of this event, and its consequences to think if there's God behind this shift of life, and also these can amass to a statistically impossible level (of course a nonzero, but a lot less probability to naturally occur to anyone during a lifetime) with most of the consequences leading to some particular decision. But indeed, God has an unique approach to every person.
I refuse to prove I exist god said, for proof denies faith and without faith i am nothing.
Interesting quote. The latter part seems to be wrong, since Adam and Eve (or Noah in case of Genesis be an allegory) perfectly knew that God exists, and that didn't make God nothing.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Another answer: because communism, being based on materialism, defies God. So anyone who proclaims communism sins gravely, and can expect punishment.

Yeah because American ideologies in the 50's weren't materialistic in the least.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/MageGrayWolf/Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH.jpg
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Another answer: because communism, being based on materialism,

Wow. lol. And the capitalism in America wasn't based on materialism?

Interesting quote. The latter part seems to be wrong, since Adam and Eve (or Noah in case of Genesis be an allegory) perfectly knew that God exists, and that didn't make God nothing.

Yes but they are biblical characters. The quote is addressed to the common man.

And such documents are normally classified from everyone but military.

Such a event would be leaked, and even if it didn't, after the fall of the USSR, the government would have no reason to keep it a secret.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I guess the mods/admins decided that there was too much fail in this thread, the last part of the title got turned backwards.

Highfire
Highfire
3,025 posts
Nomad

Indeed. It's not about Christianity no more, really.

- H

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

This title is amazing. I startled laughing my *** off when I realized what it said.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Yes but they are biblical characters. The quote is addressed to the common man.
Isaiah, Jeremiah, David, Naphan, etc etc, many other persons knew God in person, this didn't make Him nothing. Still wrong.
Such a event would be leaked, and even if it didn't, after the fall of the USSR, the government would have no reason to keep it a secret.
It did leak, after all that same link reported that this letter was read yearly on Christmas by some radio. And, given that you here don't believe, this info could be shunned like what's going in this topic.
I guess the mods/admins decided that there was too much fail in this thread, the last part of the title got turned backwards.
I wonder who made that, I suspect MRWalker82 as he just returned from whatever hiatus he took. Nevertheless, I'm still talking about Christianity, and Catholicism as its major part, and its views on whatever topic is touched. I find this insulting, but this can be shrugged off.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Isaiah, Jeremiah, David, Naphan, etc etc, many other persons knew God in person, this didn't make Him nothing. Still wrong.

Aren't those all biblical characters too? I mean, people in the bible. In the time when god din't play hide and seek all the time.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,437 posts
Farmer

Another answer: because communism, being based on materialism, defies God. So anyone who proclaims communism sins gravely, and can expect punishment.

*blinks*

What? How the hell do you figure that? Communism is a human ideology derived from Marxism. Communism is actually more humane than capitalism. However, the world has never know TRUE communism. True communism has everyone being equal regardless of station. How is that a materialistic society?
Capitalist societies are those who step on others to reach a higher vantage point, or to gain more wealth in one form or the other. You astound me with your ignorance. The leaders of the Soviet Union were never really communists, more Leninists if anything.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

when did this turn to Christianity WTF? Christianity... We're thoughtful friends?... that's so sweet of whoever did that :3.

and as for this statement detracting from serious conversation. ...the title itself now does that. so... change it back or you stfu... should thoroughly friend us. ...b/c you shouldn't do any serious trolling to your friends... b/c we're friends amirite? (or would be :''( )

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

when did this turn to Christianity WTF?

Maybe because Christianity wasn't winning?
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

i didn't know i was competing in anything... do we gets ribbons for wiinning?

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

and as for this statement detracting from serious conversation. ...the title itself now does that. so... change it back or you stfu...

Christianity STFU is going to be the next new title of this thread.

i didn't know i was competing in anything... do we gets ribbons for wiinning?

Pretty much what this whole thread has been is 3-4 people saying Christianity is right, then an Atheist comes in and asks why, the christian just says I know it's true or gives a link to a unvalid source such as a blog or personal website, and then the Atheist gives some counter evidence which is addressed by more personal testimants..and on and on it goes.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I'm loving the new title
@Wolf1991 true. Communism would be good, but no one is doing it right.

vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

Aren't those all biblical characters too? I mean, people in the bible. In the time when god din't play hide and seek all the time.
He doesn't even now, it's just us who don't wish to acknowledge Him existing. Nevertheless, that quote from Hitchhiker is an example of human logic, which does not apply to God as we have already concluded.
How is that a materialistic society?
Can you please name me the ideals of a materialistic society? I name them as everyone having access to material goods, and no single material good is in possession of a single person. It's probable that I'm mistaken, in 1991 we weren't already studying communism and marxism in details. If I'm right, then the growth vector of that society is towards increase of material goods while forgetting about personality, just because "everyone" is as good as "one or another", ignoring people as identities. This led to stagnation in the third generation here, when finally people who were educated under communism appeared as rulers, and have found out that they are, too, not considered as personalities, but as "council members" at best, not taking their personal qualities. This in turn led to them either self-manifesting by ambitious projects, or by eliminating opposition, or both. This led to loss of power in 1991.
Capitalist societies are those who step on others to reach a higher vantage point, or to gain more wealth in one form or the other.
Well, careerism is indeed the target of "American dream" as far as I can see, but this forces people to develop personalities and not to be "screws in a machine" as what was proclaimed as a norm in Soviet Union. This actually allowed people to not lose their beliefs either in any society ideal, or in God, and this belief seems to be enough for God to decide helping that kid we're arguing about for several last pages.

About why true Communism is good but unattainable - humans are naturally selfish, and whoever has power in the society tends to grab more valuables under his control, which is contrary to Communism's ideals, as I understand them.
Maybe because Christianity wasn't winning?
The question was when, not why. When - yesterday daytime (MST) or nighttime or morning EST. Why - because some mod desired to do this. What for - I'd ask the mod team. And about if we're not winning - it's normal to look that we're not. :P We know the end, and in the end we'll win, since God is with us.
Pretty much what this whole thread has been is 3-4 people saying Christianity is right, then an Atheist comes in and asks why, the christian just says I know it's true or gives a link to a unvalid source such as a blog or personal website, and then the Atheist gives some counter evidence which is addressed by more personal testimants..and on and on it goes.
I see there me as Christian, 3-4 atheists supporting each other as you, MGW, E1337 and qwerty1011, there are more occasionally appearing, and several of those who still hesitate if Christianity is really wrong. So yes, this does not look like we're winning. And Kasic, did you forget several issues that are still buried within this topic regarding events that are deemed miracles, like healing from gangrena in Zeitun, preservation of flesh and blood for 1200+ years and issues in blood weighing in Lanciano, The complete testimony of Miracle of the Sun in Fatima, the heal of Gloria Polo from internal burns due to lightning strike, and more? While any and every issue isn't addressed to provide a plausible explanation, I can still claim them being miracles.
Showing 1681-1695 of 4668