ForumsThe TavernGeneral Relationship Thread

2106 506816
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I've noticed the increase in threads being made about problems with relationships and dating. Now, I have no problem with the subject matter. No, my problem is with the amount of threads people are creating about it.

Judging by all these threads being made about the same thing, it's safe to say it's inevitable for these questions to be asked; and since the answers to these relationship/dating questions are generally very similar, putting all the questions in one thread saves time and posting.

No, this is not a thread where you specifically ask me for advice; I don't know very much about this subject. I'm simply the guy who has created the thread so you can post your questions for anybody to answer.

So if you have a question about dating or relationships, or anything along those lines, ask it here, wait for someone to reply here, and don't make a new thread about it!

• 2,106 Replies
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

On a different note, I'd like to congratulate you all on helping reach 100 pages of relationship advice, experience and insight.

Hold you congrats until we reach 102 haha. Remember master's attempt to piss a girl off? :P

slipsoccer, if you still have feelings for her, you need to a) reexamine your feelings about her, b) just take a break from her, and tell her you just need some alone time, c) start to try and distance yourself from her, or d) just break up with her.
slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

would pull you in even if on the surface you feel that you no longer want her.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I hate this feeling.

@Zankyman I think i'll go with B, i've been wanting to do that for a while now.

Thanks for the help!
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

No problem slipsoccer. Just remember to tell her that you're not breaking up with her, you just need some alone time. During this time, don't text her first, and call her first, try to avoid seeing her. Basically, make it a
&quotractice break-up" so you can feel what it would be like to actually break up.

Sorry about your problems, and I hope the get better.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

@ slipsoccer. I have to honestly say that "taking a break from someone" is retarded. Either you love her, and are in love with her, or you're not. Don't play games with her, either break up with her or stay together. You two have been together for TWO YEARS. The relationship is too mature for you two to do that petty crap. If she doesn't like something, then don't do it. If you don't like something she's doing, then tell her about it. If she has a problem with it, then tell her why you don't like it. It's as easy as that. A relationship takes sacrifice. If you're not willing to sacrifice walking to class with someone, then do you really think you should be in a relationship?
If she's complaining about you walking with a girl, then she doesn't trust you. So what did you do to lose trust? ask her. talk to her about it.
Think of a relationship like a poker hand. How strong are you two? is it weak like a pair of fives? or is it an ace high flush? Are you willing to lay down everything for her? Are you willing to bet against the world? are you willing to go and fight a UFC champion for her? if you answered no to any of these questions, then you need to do some soul searching and figure out what you want in life, and what you want and need in a partner. If you're just in a relationship for intercourse and good times, that's fine, but don't' expect it to go anywhere.
Here's a test I do to relationships that i'm in after a few months. I ask myself "can I see this person as the mother of my children?" Ask yourself that.

I'm not saying that a short term thing is bad, I'm just saying don't get in a relationship, especially for that long, and play games with her heart like "taking breaks." that's just stupid, and think about what you're putting her through.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

thepyro, i respectfully disagree. sometimes taking time away is what gives a person that chance to soul search about their relationship. it allows them to think, and say, "hey, maybe being single isn't so bad," or, "hey, i really love him/her, and i want to continue this relationship."

Sooooo...I sorta need help fast. My girlfriend wants me to meet her ENTIRE family at a birthday party for her...how do I handle it? I'm already going and I want to go, so backing out isn't an option. Basically, any tips for not screwing this up?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

Sooooo...I sorta need help fast. My girlfriend wants me to meet her ENTIRE family at a birthday party for her...how do I handle it? I'm already going and I want to go, so backing out isn't an option. Basically, any tips for not screwing this up?

Just be yourself, and don't say anything stupid. lol, don't cuss, and don't tell inappropriate jokes. Look sharp (don't dress like a stoner.) Biggest of all, don't be all over your girl in front of them, but show a tender romance between you two
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

how do I handle it? I'm already going and I want to go, so backing out isn't an option. Basically, any tips for not screwing this up?

Do what thepyro222 said. Also, act like a gentleman. Open the door for her, pull out her chair when she is sitting down, etc. This shows that you have good manners and that you care for her.
slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

The relationship is too mature for you two to do that petty crap. If she doesn't like something, then don't do it. If you don't like something she's doing, then tell her about it.

I actually went ahead and took the break from her. It's been 3 days since I last spoke with her, I know it sounds dumb to actually take a break but that's the only way my point will get straight across to her. I know most girls like talking their problems out but out of all the girls i've been with she's been the most hard headed out of all of them.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

slipsoccer, how has it been? Have you been able to think more clearly about her?

To everyone else, meeting her family went great! I think they might actually like me haha

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

@zankyman. It's been good. I really needed this space to focus on myself and to realize if I really do have the same feelings I had for her before. I think she's learning her mistakes now and I just hope everything will turn out better after this break. Thanks for asking.
Oh and I understand how you must have felt at first when you met her family. Her family messed around with me when I first met them -.- But glad to hear that everything turned out great

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

This is kind of just a look- see... but is there anyone from the Detroit area that knows a good mexican restaurant for a decent price. (within the range of $30 for two.) I'm taking my girlfriend to a concert for her birthday, and she likes mexican food. I need suggestions. My idea of a fancy restaurant is Chili's, lol (I grew up underprivileged, don't judge.)

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

well, it's happened the thing i was dreading for 3 months now has occurred. My girlfriend left for camp...we won't see each other for 6 weeks, nor be able to text during that time. I can be able to write though :/ any tips on coping? I'm sorta depressed right now...

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

well, it's happened the thing i was dreading for 3 months now has occurred. My girlfriend left for camp...we won't see each other for 6 weeks, nor be able to text during that time. I can be able to write though :/ any tips on coping? I'm sorta depressed right now...

Just write to her. send her a nice note. other than that, hang with your bros
slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

any tips on coping? I'm sorta depressed right now...

Yeah what thepyro222 said just write her a letter. Try doing things that you couldn't do when you were with her, i'm not saying cheat on her. Spend more time with your friends now so they can remember that it's not always about your girlfriend, you know this is the time to do what you love doing.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I'm sorta depressed right now...

sad or depressed? there is a huge difference that most people do not see.
Showing 976-990 of 2106