The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernModerator "nominations" (was: "elections")

39 4766
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

So I had another idea (I'm on a role ).
Okay, this one goes a little something like this; I think that people should be elected to hold the position of a moderator. If someone wants to be a mod, they can go through some process (haven't thought that out yet... maybe they have to have a certain amount of karma or something?) and petition for the title. If enough people think they're fit to be a mod, they get elected.

• 39 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Elections is a horrible idea.

You remember that Mod firing vote thread we had a month ago? It would be something like that, but an opposite. People would vote the most popular person on the forums/site. People would rig the votes so that someone gets the position, private messages and all.

The Administrators can choose the Moderators excellently on their own and remember the Moderators have to be unanimous in accepting a new person into the Moderator team because the other Moderators have to work with the new Moderator on the forums.

So, the idea is bad because of all the bad things that could happen with the vote.

--

An better idea would be:
You could sign up to be a Moderator on Armor Games then the Administrators would review your application and whatnot then the Moderators would review it then they will decide if the person is qualified to become a Moderator.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The current mod team is excellent because AG only chose the best. If every user with enough karma could possibly be one, than it would ruin it. There are some people with really high ranks on this site that aren't even slightly qualified to be a mod. Also based on the amount of Kings on this site there would be plenty of users applying and we would get to many mods.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Also based on the amount of Kings on this site there would be plenty of users applying and we would get to many mods.

Read my full post.

It wouldn't happen because the Administrators and Moderators would have to review you and decide if the person is qualified and worthy of becoming a Moderator.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

It wouldn't happen because the Administrators and Moderators would have to review you and decide if the person is qualified and worthy of becoming a Moderator.

I know, i meant the amount of mods applying. AG takes moderation very seriously and so many people applying for it seems kind of dumb.

You could sign up to be a Moderator on Armor Games then the Administrators would review your application and whatnot then the Moderators would review it then they will decide if the person is qualified to become a Moderator.

Can't you already do that? You're allowed to ask to become one here but to me, asking to become a mod is a good sign that you shouldn't be a mod. It sounds like you are just asking because you want mod power.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

But I thought AG members already have a process to apply to be a moderator! It just doesn't involve an application nor a notification

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I know, i meant the amount of mods applying. AG takes moderation very seriously and so many people applying for it seems kind of dumb.

That's why there will be requirements to it so that not everyone can sign up.
Can't you already do that? You're allowed to ask to become one here but to me, asking to become a mod is a good sign that you shouldn't be a mod. It sounds like you are just asking because you want mod power.

People can use the contact button, but it'll take longer for them to get a reply because I'm sure it's used everyday and the team has to sift through all those E-mails. Having the Moderator sign up page would work more efficiently.

I think a user in the past asked to become one, from what I've read around the site and what some people have told me. And he became one.
It sounds like you are just asking because you want mod power.

Or they want to further help out the community.

Although the idea might not be taken into consideration seeing that the Administrators can pick the Mods fine already.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Here's a thread where cormyn said that there might be a Moderator sign up thing in AG3.

However - I don't know if it's true or not because it was during the whole April Fools' thing.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Here's a thread where cormyn said that there might be a Moderator sign up thing in AG3.

However - I don't know if it's true or not because it was during the whole April Fools' thing.

Sounds like its true because Cormyn seem to have kept the jokes where they were and didn't mess with any other part of the site.

People can use the contact button, but it'll take longer for them to get a reply because I'm sure it's used everyday and the team has to sift through all those E-mails. Having the Moderator sign up page would work more efficiently.

Than they would still have to look through those submissions. They may have more to look at but i feel like it may be a waste of the mods time.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

The moderators are hand picked and it will remain that way.

If we AG3 could implement a fail proof voting system, it's not that I think the members would choose anyone bad, they just wouldn't choose the people best suited for the job.

AG is crammed with incredibly helpful and mature members who honestly would make pretty moderators. However, we have incredibly high expectations. Even those who meet our high expectations aren't necessarily going to be picked to become a moderator.

I could go into why, but that's something I might post about later on.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Than they would still have to look through those submissions. They may have more to look at but i feel like it may be a waste of the mods time.

A requirements thing on the sign up page would prevent getting all of those submissions.
If we AG3 could implement a fail proof voting system

I don't understand how it could be fail proof.

There are several ways that people could rig the vote so someone could get the most votes.
it's not that I think the members would choose anyone bad, they just wouldn't choose the people best suited for the job.

I agree.

It would be good to read it if you post about it.
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
248 posts
Nomad

How about moderators pick who succeeds them if they don't want to do the moderator thing anymore?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

You never did go into why.
How about moderators pick who succeeds them if they don't want to do the moderator thing anymore?

Not a good idea. All the moderators have to agree who gets to become a moderator. And besides, the administrators pick the moderators.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Think of it this way: AG is not a democracy and GhostOfMatrix doesn't want it to become one. I think the current system is perfectly fine.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

if they are to keep the same number of mods then when Strop resigns as he says he will (eventually) they'll have to fill another slot. voting is only going to end up being a popularity contest w/ the droves of little kiddies... that or voting for their friends just because they are their friends (may not be popular) how they go about it now should be how they've gone about it in the past.

in my honest opinion I think the moderators or the administration should be the ones to offer up people's names.... and not the people sending in an application. ...and if someone wins the vote unbeknownst to them they should then get a "we'd like to see you as a part of our mod squad if you think you're up for it" kind of message from one of the admins (most likely Cormyn or Justin... but it'd be even more ZOMGAWD to see Dan or John extend the invite on someone's page). if you're mod material then your name would most likely get tossed around whether you wanted it to or not... and if you don't think you'd have the time to commit to the site then you can respectfully back out.

all of these 10-100 post people who spam cormyn w/ "CAN I HAZ MOD POWERS???" ...and "wut it take for me to be a mod?" kinda annoy me. you've been here for 1 week and probably will disappear and not come back and you're wanting to be one of the most highly privileged member on the entire site... if you're anything relatively close to mod material you know that there's no way they're gonna make you a mod when you ask for it like that... especially when you use the grammars I used in my eggsamples.

PinkieCake
PinkieCake
163 posts
Nomad

Don't the admins pick mods based on whoever has frequent and good posts, has been on the site a while, tends to help users, yada yada yada, and just ask them? Or do people volunteer?

Showing 1-15 of 39