ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 114388
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
vinster132
vinster132
5,880 posts
Jester

All this week, in the morning it was breezy and kinda cold but later on about at lunch (noon) it starts getting way too hot. That's been the weather so far.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Well, it's been really chilly here (15 degrees below average). Today it's been drizzly and cool, but the temps are supposed to get back into the 80's tomorrow. Otherwise, not much going on...

It's getting cold out: lows in the 30s, highs in the 50s this week. No chance of storms either.

Last week was cold here too. It's supposed to be 80 again tomorrow though. Weird, considering that it's cloudy, 60 F, and drizzling right now. :P
Well I started cross country today and it was pretty warm at 14°C or 57°F, although it is getting colder.

It was cool here for a week, now it's warming up again, then once more it's supposed to cool down. Aren't roller coasters fun? :P
Yeah!!!!! It's cooling down!!!! We should be flirtin around 100F and humidity and chances of rain most days!! I am so excited.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay! Rain! That's awesome for you! I love it when the forecast is covered with chances of storms!
IT was about 70F at about 6 this morning. It's been a nice breezy day. I love this weather.

That sounds really pleasant! Warm, but not too hot plus a breeze is wonderful-feeling, especially when you play soccer or some other game outside.
We got Katias gail force winds and very heavy rain during the week, but it seems to have moved on thankfully and now it's dry but mild.

Oh, yeah I saw that! Weren't the winds like 60mph or something when it came by? That's very unusual for your area of the world. I'm sure that was... interesting. :P
All this week, in the morning it was breezy and kinda cold but later on about at lunch (noon) it starts getting way too hot. That's been the weather so far.

Yeah, it can be deceiving sometimes. You think it's going to be a perfect day and then the afternoon is suddenly sweltering. D:
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

The past week it's been cooler than it ever was in the the past few months. It's finally getting into the low 70s.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

That's nice sounding! It was beautiful here today (partly cloudy, mid 70's F) and is supposed to be tomorrow as well. Tomorrow there is also a chance of afternoon storms (woo!) and some morning fog and/or showers, so it should be an interesting day.

I heard some interesting facts on The Weather Channel today:

The ice levels in the Arctic are 36% below normal for this time of year, and are at the lowest recorded levels (since records have been kept, of course). By 2050, there may be no floating ice in the Arctic during the summer months.

Due to all this melting, less of the sun's heat is being reflected away (more heat is reaching and staying at Earth's surface), so powerful ridges of high pressure (high pressure systems usually bring peaceful, warm weather) are building toward the Arctic. These ridges act like "rocks in a stream" and force the jet stream north around them. Subsequently, the eastern portion of the U.S. experiences colder winters.

This video explains the above information more clearly.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

The ice levels in the Arctic are 36% below normal for this time of year, and are at the lowest recorded levels (since records have been kept, of course). By 2050, there may be no floating ice in the Arctic during the summer months.

I read this today also :]

Rain rain and more rain in Ireland today. It's been so miserable and cold.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

We've had our first rainfall in about a while. I think the last rainfall was with that chronic thunderstorm a few weeks ago. It showed up on the radar as a mass of thunderstorm clouds, but nothing severe or tornado-producing. The whole thing lasted well into the night.

Rain rain and more rain in Ireland today. It's been so miserable and cold.

Gimme! We could take the rain and some cold.
IfYouInsist
IfYouInsist
260 posts
Nomad

It's been very hot where I live but now since it's almost winter, it's starting to get colder.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Rain rain and more rain in Ireland today.

I'll gladly have some of that!
It's been so miserable and cold.

...maybe not so much of that. :P
We've had our first rainfall in about a while. I think the last rainfall was with that chronic thunderstorm a few weeks ago. It showed up on the radar as a mass of thunderstorm clouds, but nothing severe or tornado-producing. The whole thing lasted well into the night.

Sounds a lot like my weather (except my chronic storm was in early June :P )! Sunday was cool and misty, but pleasant. I desperately desire more rain; it's like my life blood. I always say I'm going to shrivel up and blow away if it doesn't rain for an extended period. :P

About the long storm that hit here; it was awesome! The storms actually weren't widespread; in fact, they were quite narrow. However, they kept training over where I live. We got seven inches of rain that day! I was ecstatic! I don't know about the farmers, though... :P
It's been very hot where I live but now since it's almost winter, it's starting to get colder.

Same here. I think this week or next will probably be our last of 70's and pleasant weather before cooler temperatures and north winds begin to take hold.

I really don't like fall much. It's the transition between summer and winter, but it's not exciting about it like spring is. Fall just brings clouds and drizzly showers most of the time here... D:
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Frank, I would gladly give you the weather here. We had a wet summer, and now it has moved on to a wet autumn (which isn't a surprise here, but I will complain about it anyway).
With some warmer weather, I could at least open the window to cool the room a little, instead of having to curl up under several blankets to keep warm enough to sleep.

Crappy webcam pic of the view from my classroom:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/60/img0000ri.jpg
(And it just started raining again).

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Some fog this morning but still a beautiful start to the day with a crisp 45 degrees temp and a light breeze from the north. Winters in the air.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Gimme! We could take the rain and some cold.

I'll only trade for some sun, and perhaps the ability for my pale skin to tan?

Today is dry but that awful moggy day - it's like warm but overcast and foggy.
vinster132
vinster132
5,880 posts
Jester

It was 90 degrees today. What the hell? It's almost Autumn/Fall. I heard it's going to be really hot around this week. Great...Just great........

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It's been decent weather over here, not too hot and not too cold. Usually 60-75 degrees and some sun, but I want a storm soon.

vinster132
vinster132
5,880 posts
Jester

Good thing it cooled off today, I was getting pretty tired of all the insanely hot weather. It's Autumn now, sweet. And almost holiday season.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Sorry I haven't been able to post recently everyone... I'll try to reply to all your comments this afternoon (if possible)!

As for the weather, a cut off low pressure system has meandered back toward me...from the East! Weird...

Showing 541-555 of 640