ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 114237
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

Its in the 30's here, too, but it hasn't snowed- yet.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

It snowed today, and it was awesome. Unfortunatly I couldn't buy a game because of the snow. Everything has its good and its bad.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

The weather has been just terrible. I live in New York, and since the leaves are still on the trees, when it snowed, the snow stayed on the trees, weighing them down, and causing plenty of destruction. There are downed power wires everywhere, i haven't had power since 3PM saturday, and i still don't (i'm posting this from school). There were 3 large branches across my driveway, one fell on my grandparents car, it turned out fine though. My friends car and house got smashed by a huge one. And on an unrelated note, even though my school never lost power, it's still freezing. My finger are so cold i can barely type this.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Apparently there are over 900 power lines down and 60,000 people without power, and I'm not supposed to get mine back until saturday morning.

dragonhunter422
dragonhunter422
130 posts
Nomad

I love the rain, thunderstorms, and wet, foggy weather. (like the west coast). Where I live the temperature will be within 100-10 degrees. I hate it sometimes. It ocasionally will be nice, like 55 degrees and raining. But usually not. =(

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I'm sooooo excited! Tomorrow there's supposed to be a big storm that will dump about an inch of rain and possible a couple inches of snow as the temperatures cool down to below freezing during the evening hours!

Also, the climate prediction for November calls for wetter than average conditions! Unfortunately, temperatures are supposed to be above average, too, so there may not be as much snow... D:

HEEhee HEEhee HEE! I hope it snows!

=====================================================================

Temperatures have reached 14 C here early this morning.

That sounds very pleasant! *slaps himself in the face* No, who am I kidding, I want SNOW! >
Ok well the highs have been in the 90's F and the lows in the 60's F. I keep my window slightly open at night and sleep perfect but during the day it is still way to hot.

Jeez! In October? That's crazy! Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you live in the southwest, correct? If so, how have you been dealing with those massive dust storms?
Well, today it snowed, was in the 30's, and I loved it.

Aw, lucky! There's a chance for snow here tomorrow, but there's going to be almost an inch of rain first. At least it's precipitation!
Its in the 30's here, too, but it hasn't snowed- yet.

Way to be optimistic! Do you usually have snowy winters?
It snowed today, and it was awesome. Unfortunatly I couldn't buy a game because of the snow. Everything has its good and its bad.

Gah, you guys make me sooo jealous! But sorry about your game; hopefully you can get it soon!

@master565

That sounds awful. I heard about the first nor'easter of the season, but I didn't know it was that bad. What I do know is that some places got almost two feet (even plus in some locations) of snow. Though it is pretty and fun, snow can be very destructive and frightening too... I hope everything turns out alright for you.

over 900 power lines down and 60,000 people without power

Incredible. So deceitfully peaceful, snow is...

I love the rain, thunderstorms, and wet, foggy weather. (like the west coast). Where I live the temperature will be within 100-10 degrees. I hate it sometimes. It ocasionally will be nice, like 55 degrees and raining. But usually not. =(

I love storms, too! And fog is so mysterious and intriguing... There's a pretty broad temperature range during the year here, too; what I love is that there's always a surprise (excluding this October, which was the most boring, uneventful weather month I can recall).
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I'm sooooo excited! Tomorrow there's supposed to be a big storm that will dump about an inch of rain and possible a couple inches of snow as the temperatures cool down to below freezing during the evening hours!

I guess your name should tell this story.
Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

Where I live its either raining or its snowing or its sunny, thats about it
Besides that the weather doesnt change much
We dont get Hurricanes or tornado, which seems pretty boring in my opinoin but to others it might seem as a safe thing.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

No rain or anything today. Just really strong wind which is a little annoying because things get in my eyes.

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Well it's been relatively nice (for the area(Phoenix AZ). Low 90F high 80'sF. It's supposed to cool down to a high of 68F on Saturday! oooo can't wait.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

The skies are that of the computer that beat Kasparov in 1997.

Although it's been clear for the past few weeks, I expect there will be more wind in the near future and possibly even rain.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Well, the rain's gone; the system's pulling out. Total I believe we got about 1.1 inches (a nice amount, considering there was no rain for a couple weeks).

Now the temperatures are slowly bouncing back to 60, but they'll fall this weekend as a system misses here (goes south...); however, my hopes are not falling! Models show a big storm coming *next* weekend! Let's hope it stays!

I guess your name should tell this story.

Hehe, yep!

Where I live its either raining or its snowing or its sunny, thats about it
Besides that the weather doesnt change much

It's never just cloudy? I think I wouldn't mind that. How are your temperatures this time of year?

We dont get Hurricanes or tornado, which seems pretty boring in my opinoin but to others it might seem as a safe thing.

I don't get hurricanes either (though in 2004 the remnants of Ivan hit my area). Tornadoes are a different story. Every spring and summer, there are lots of severe storms here and tornadoes are always a possibility.

No rain or anything today. Just really strong wind which is a little annoying because things get in my eyes.

Oh, yeah, I hate when that happens! Especially with contacts; they get all dry and uncomfortable. D: And no rain just stinks, too! :P

Well it's been relatively nice (for the area(Phoenix AZ). Low 90F high 80'sF. It's supposed to cool down to a high of 68F on Saturday! oooo can't wait.

Jeez. That's... crazy. Tonight's low here is 28, and you're still begging for a 20 degree temperature drop there. :P Hopefully you get it!

And, have you been afflicted by any of those nasty dust storms? I hear they're buffeting the Southwest...

computer that beat Kasparov in 1997

Well, I'm afraid I don't know how that relates (please tell? ), but you did direct me to a very interesting article! So, thank you!

Although it's been clear for the past few weeks, I expect there will be more wind in the near future and possibly even rain.

Same here. This October was the 9th driest month in Iowa history. Really ironic, considering this June was one of the wettest months in Iowa history.

Climatologists are saying that November here should be slightly warmer and wetter than average. Hopefully there are some nice snowstorms!
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

it was raining a couple seconds ago, but now the suns out and everythings dry! which is sad because i like rain.
the place i live has the weirdest weather.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

Just as I predicted a few nights ago, rain did come. It's been raining off and on for the past 3 hours.

The one day I decide not to wear any sort of jacket or outer layer.

Well, I'm afraid I don't know how that relates

If you know the name of the computer that beat Kasparov, you'll understand why it describes the way the skies were yesterday.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Well, it's rather nice here (*slaps himself*) but there's a large storm coming soon. Next Tuesday-early Thursday could provide another inch (perhaps) of rain, and possibly an inch or two of snow! I shall keep my fingers crossed!

it was raining a couple seconds ago, but now the suns out and everythings dry! which is sad because i like rain.

Aw, that is sad... Rain is so much better than sun.
the place i live has the weirdest weather.

I can totally relate to that!
The one day I decide not to wear any sort of jacket or outer layer.

Murphy's Law! Hopefully you didn't get too soaked!
If you know the name of the computer that beat Kasparov, you'll understand why it describes the way the skies were yesterday.

*facepalm* You know what? I did know that earlier. I just didn't make the connection. Silly me. :P
Showing 586-600 of 640