ForumsWEPRHomosexuality

3228 468148
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

Apperently it's a big hot topic right now, so I want to know how gamers feel about it?

• 3,228 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I say homosexuality has choice involved, so if Total can argue that homosexuality and eye color both come from genes, then I can say homosexuality and music taste are both choices.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Tell me how choice could be involved? Did you choose to be straight? Could you choose to be gay? No. You aren't attracted to the same sex. no matter how hard you try, you can't choose to be gay. So how is this different for homosexuals?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

no matter how hard you try, you can't choose to be gay.

Haha who said?

And no its not a direct choice lol, you don't get up and say "Oh I'm gonna be gay today!"
subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

Ok I have been finally convinced that this gene may possibly exist. After all I couldn't just wake up tomorrow and say "I think i'll try homosexuality today" because since I am not really a homosexual it would be hard to be attracted to men. I am just attracted to girls. Period.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

@Drace

If it's not a "direct choice," then what is it?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Ok I have been finally convinced that this gene may possibly exist.

Yea just MAY be possible, probably not.
Genes can't affect such a thing because sexual attraction is only a thought. Just like the attraction of you and a food. It is a thought, thus has a reason behind it.

You are not born, its just pretty much impossible. Dam scientific studies will contradict themselves soon.
Being born a homosexual would be you know what a the male reproductive organs are and even more importantly what a male is. Your not born knowing this :-$

A boob is nothing more then a lump, the male thingy is nothing but it. It has no magic powder to make your eyes twinkle.

Yes, but guys can become aroused with just parts of a body. Women, not so much.

That goes toward to show my point. Girls are very different from guys socially speaking.

And let me tell you something, I was only emotional attracted to girls until I was like 14 lol. Now I want to go back to emotional feeling but can't. Stupid hormones :-$

And please don't relate this to how homosexuals can't go straight just like I cant go back to just emotional feelings...
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

I say homosexuality has choice involved

I say it's not. And being gay myself, I think I have a pretty good idea.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Genes can't affect such a thing because sexual attraction is only a thought. Just like the attraction of you and a food. It is a thought, thus has a reason behind it.

Now we're getting towards the nitty-gritty of it.

Drace, what you appear to be doing is intimating towards a physical dualism, which attempts to make a concrete separation between mind and body.

Just to let you know now, it's not the scientific studies that are going to be contradicting themselves because their approach is wrong. It's the approach you've taken here that will lead you up the garden path, looking for something you can't support while ignoring other evidence.

The main issue that most people have with the genes -> behavior theory is its causative nature, because it appears to imply hard determinism. Also, you've forgotten that (as I may have mentioned earlier) cognition is also something developed, therefore this:

Being born a homosexual would be you know what a the male reproductive organs are and even more importantly what a male is. Your not born knowing this :-$

Is a strawman.

The way to get around this issue is to realise that genes don't actually cause all of the time. They may sometimes influence behavior in an indirect way (as far as I understand it), as manifested in, I have to say, how your own behavior is influenced by hormonal changes. Then again, one needs to become aware of the exact definition and nature of the word 'cause', because when you learn enough, you'll realise it is a very imperfect term. Ultimately, the way to grasp the entire argument is to grasp the nature of the mind and our consciousness as a self-reflexive, self-aware unit, but this is probably the most difficult step.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Drace, what you appear to be doing is intimating towards a physical dualism, which attempts to make a concrete separation between mind and body.

That I am. Not so much as to say that the mind is not of the brain's function though.

They may sometimes influence behavior in an indirect way

I am just arguing that you are not quite born gay, but rather through experience. Now if genes can affect thought indirectly, then I'm fine with that. That actually, I may support. Its a reasonable statement, but genes just changing your sexual orientation I believe is crazy.
Mind defining what sexual orientation is anyway, it does not exist.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

And no its not a direct choice lol, you don't get up and say "Oh I'm gonna be gay today!"

Then how can it really be a choice? If it was a choice, your example would be true. They would decide one day to be homosexual and that is not the case. They choose when they want to come out. However, they have always known they were homosexual most likely from genes.
Chewy_Donut
Chewy_Donut
16 posts
Nomad

It doesn't matter...who cares if somebody likes men or women...

The ONLY reason someone would disagree is if it's against their RELIGION.

STATE and RELIGION should be kept completely separate.

Gays should be allowed in the military, as well. As long as they don't have an open relationship with another member of the armed forces (which could harm their ability to do their job), who cares if they're homosexual or bi?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Gays should be allowed in the military, as well.

They are allowed. The military has a policy about homosexuals called "Don't ask, don't tell".

Don't tell or any for sexual orientation and your fine.
Chewy_Donut
Chewy_Donut
16 posts
Nomad

Flag

Gays should be allowed in the military, as well.

They are allowed. The military has a policy about homosexuals called "Don't ask, don't tell".

That's what I was talking about...why should they (open gays) be restricted? There's no point. They're just as willing to serve the country as any man or woman.
kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

I am just arguing that you are not quite born gay, but rather through experience.

Which is why the brains of homosexuals are different when compared to straights of the same gender.

And if it accidentally comes out then you dishonorable discharge. Like a criminal. Seems very fair and balanced doesn't it.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

That's what I was talking about...why should they (open gays) be restricted?

Well the other soldiers will insult them, beat them up maybe. I don't suppose they are able to control the soldier's behaviors. Plus, some get disturbed...

Its a good reasonable policy, there are no drawbacks. If you want go tell others, its your risk.

The policy is more of a suggestion.
Showing 1771-1785 of 3228