ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15761
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

It isn't a sign of weakness in some contexts, but in some it is. If you are tapped on the elbow and you burst into tears, then yes, that is most definitely a sign of weakness. If your grandmother just died and you're crying, then no, that is not a sign of weakness.

Love, anger, optimism, anticipation... These are all inhibitors.

Look who's never getting married...
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

No, I am just absolutely devoted to logic. Love, anger, optimism, anticipation... These are all inhibitors. They block reason. They have caused all forms of downfall. I hate them all.

But to hate them is also an emotion. If you were emotionless you would be indifferent towards emotion and everything else for that matter.
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Absolutely not! I don't believe that at all. Crying is showing grief for someone or something. I can name strong people whom I know that I've seen cry.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Look who's never getting married...

Lol, correction: Look who's never getting a girlfriend. Seriously though, I don't believe relationships work.

But to hate them is also an emotion. If you were emotionless you would be indifferent towards emotion and everything else for that matter.

I never meant to sound like I was emotionless. Yes, I wish I didn't have them, but I do, so I use them.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector.

We read that for our English Finals.
About the OP, I don't think so. It's okay for someone to cry once in a while, just as long as they have a reason for it and they don't cry all the time.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

All will cry at some point; those who hide it are cowards.

The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep. ~Henry Maudsley

Now, if you've watched Saving Private Ryan and did not shed a tear at the end, you are not a man.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

All will cry at some point; those who hide it are cowards.

First part, agree. Second part, not at all. I actually cry on recurrent occasion, but I don't see how that makes me a coward.

The sorrow which has no vent in tears may make other organs weep. ~Henry Maudsley

Yes, it's an established medical fact that emotions affect health.

Now, if you've watched Saving Private Ryan and did not shed a tear at the end, you are not a man.

So you're saying that you're only a man if you weep profusely at a movie? I figure the opposite.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Those who don't cry once in a while who are simply ashamed to do so due to society's perception of how it makes them look are cowards.

Not profusely; showing compassion of some sort is almost a rite of passage into manhood: You will never be great if you cannot connect emotionally to others.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Those who don't cry once in a while who are simply ashamed to do so due to society's perception of how it makes them look are cowards.

If there are people like that, I'm certainly not one of them. I don't give a living **** what society thinks. I hide them because I believe that emotions such as those shouldn't be expressed in public. Anger, happiness, and (reasonable) fear I understand; anything else, keep it to yourself.

Not profusely; showing compassion of some sort is almost a rite of passage into manhood: You will never be great if you cannot connect emotionally to others.

This is something I will never understand about people: Their "ability" to empathize with fiction. It makes no sense to me to show emotion for the nonexistant.
KentReid
KentReid
65 posts
Nomad

Sometimes it's a sign of greater strength.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Of course not with fictional characters, but empathy for those who were involved in the real events. For example, the first and last scenes in SPR included actual shots of the Arlington National Cemetary. I felt little for the characters in the film, but overwhelmingly for those who actually died or were injured in war. If you have no compassion for those hundreds of thousands, then you will likely receive none.

Zydrate
Zydrate
383 posts
Farmer

American culture has pigeonholed common thought processes to thinking that masculinity is required for a male. Masculinity is jut a conjured concept to tell people how men should properly act.

I find nothing wrong with crying men, or anyone.
It is, however, kind of annoying to watch. I don't mind when someone does, but please get a room.

CaptainSamoa
CaptainSamoa
364 posts
Nomad

Crying, in my opinion is not a sign of weakness, in most cases. It would actually depend on what the crying is over. Red the book "Where the Red Fern Grows". It the perfect example of crying being a weakness in some cases.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Stating that crying is a mere "sign of weakness" is an oversimplification of a startlingly complex physical response to certain emotional states in humans.

Yes, it's an established medical fact that emotions affect health.

In what manner?

Oh, and if you're going to be one of those people, try your best to not come off as an *******.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Tell the girl it was what Achilles did not feel, rather than what he did feel, that made him weak. And they called Neoptolemus degenerate.

Anyway, to answer the question as objectively as possible, yes, crying may indicate weakness. The strength of the correlation remains to be seen.

Showing 16-30 of 87