ForumsThe TavernIs crying a sign of weakness?

87 15765
deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

(You can skip everything in italic if you want to save some time and/or not get bored.)

I ask this question because in my last French exam (I'm French educated) we had a text and some questions. The text was a part of The Iliads when Priam, king of the trojans, begged Achilles, a Greek general and all around bad-***, for the body of his dead son, Hector. The last question of the exam was related to the paragraph in which Achilles and Priam cry together after Priam's heartfelt speech.
When my teacher was distributing the exams, she was irritated by a peculiar girl who had written for that question that the crying of Achilles made him week. The teacher explained to the girl how he wasn't week and etc.

Personally, I think crying isn't a sign of weakness. I consider it as a sign of a person being human. If a person never cried and never had an once of sadness in him then we wouldn't be human; he would be a sort of happy-bot designed to be happy 24/7. That or the person is really dull, boring and doesn't have any emotion what so ever. How could you be happy without sadness to compare it to?

I also think crying never solved anything, well in the long-run anyway. I understand a quick cry-on-the-shoulder to get you're emotions strait, but when you spend all day weeping you end up not doing nothing instead of solving the problem in which you're weeping for and you eventually fell worse.

So do you think crying is a sign of weakness?

• 87 Replies
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Legion, I'm going to call you He-of-no-emotion from now on.

Their "ability" to empathize with fiction. It makes no sense to me to show emotion for the nonexistant.

I agree with you there. My friends are scared of me right now because I was watching X-Men First Class and {Spoiler} when Magneto made the coin go through Shaw's head, I was smiling. It was a good scene.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

It depends on your idea of strength and weakness. If your idea of a strong man is duke nukem, then yes, you shouldn't cry. But the society prefer people with feeling and sensibility rather that ****** killing machines, so I don't think crying is bad at all.

Their "ability" to empathize with fiction. It makes no sense to me to show emotion for the nonexistant.

What's the point of sad stories then? I'm sure most people do empathize with fiction.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Crying usually happens when a human succumbs under the impending force of large pain, stress or sorrow. Some people are capable of surviving stress longer than others without deliberately holding back the tears, giving the impression of 'A Strong Man/Woman'

bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

Crying indicates emotional weakness. Strength is the power to hold back tears.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Yes, yes it is. There is nothing wrong with being weak as no one is strong all the time. So dont be afraid to let it all out.

bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

In what manner?

Emotions and things like stress can cause half your face to be imobilized for a long period of time. It's a medical disease caused by stress.
brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

crying is the sign of true strength in control of mind and emotions

end of discussion

016Bramble
016Bramble
408 posts
Nomad

Crying is not a sign of weakness. It's actually healthy to cry, as it gets rid of extra salt (or something along those lines). I don't exactly remember. But, it is healthy.

BCap27
BCap27
26 posts
Peasant

Crying is not a sign of weakness. It is a normal human reaction. and I have no problem with someone who cries, as long as it's not over something stupid.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Of course not with fictional characters, but empathy for those who were involved in the real events. For example, the first and last scenes in SPR included actual shots of the Arlington National Cemetary. I felt little for the characters in the film, but overwhelmingly for those who actually died or were injured in war. If you have no compassion for those hundreds of thousands, then you will likely receive none.

Well, empathy towards people you don't know I can understand. I've never felt it, but I can understand it.

Oh, and if you're going to be one of those people, try your best to not come off as an *******.

1. What "those people"?
2. If I came off as an *******, I'm sorry; this is just how I feel.

In what manner?

You can find a relatively brief list of effects here.

Legion, I'm going to call you He-of-no-emotion from now on.

Sadly, I think that's the coolest thing somebody's ever said to me. You officially made it to my profile.

I agree with you there. My friends are scared of me right now because I was watching X-Men First Class and {Spoiler} when Magneto made the coin go through Shaw's head, I was smiling. It was a good scene.

So I wasn't the only one who liked that scene! Just glad to know I'm not alone there. Although, I found some parts of Candyman and the Saw series to be a bit amusing as well...
RainbowGoGangster3
RainbowGoGangster3
529 posts
Nomad

yes!!!!! that is totally a sighn of weakness

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Crying is not a sign of weakness. This reminds of Harry Potter...

If you cry, it means you feel, you love, you care. Those who are devoid of these characteristics turn out to be more like Voldemort in Harry Potter. Furthermore, viewing crying as a weakness is more of a weakness than crying itself (from the viewpoint of the person who thinks its weak), because it shows how overly prideful you are. And we all know, in Greek myths (which are incredibly relevant to everyday life) hubris (pride) is the biggest killer.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Well, its all situational.

Some things shouldn't be cried over: Spilt milk, minor inconviences, etc. If you cry over every little thing, it shows you're not emotionally stable, and are 'weak'.

However, it's ok to cry over say, a death, major pain ('below-the-belt shots included', and terrible happenings.

I've cried several times in my teenage years: Parents divorce, Grandfather's death, and my concussion. Granted, I only bawled when my Grandfather died, but crying is crying.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,813 posts
Peasant

It's as Maverick said. I rarely ever cried in my whole life, and yet, I've probably shed more tears in the last two weeks than I did in all my life. My girlfriend dumped me and I can't get over it. However, it made me realize how natural it was to cry.
When the situation is okay, crying should never be considered week.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,487 posts
Blacksmith

like the last two have just said, crying is only weak in certain circumstances. I cried a lot when I was younger, but to be fair when you're a kid you cry over spilt milk. once I got over that, the only other time's I've ever cried was when a friend of the family died (old lady, really close to my heart) and when I discovered my brother was an atheist. I got over it, but it was shocking to me because he was raised in a pretty pro-christianity enviroment. I have to say though, after that catharsis, my brother and I are closer than ever.

Showing 31-45 of 87